Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Copy in present state

willjrock

A "save as" would be nice but alternatively adding this function to Helix would be handy, and nearly as good as "save as", which seems like a no brainer IMO. One of the earlier firmware versions allowed you to copy in present state (copying the preset for pasting elsewhere, after you had made some changes to it, instead of the current solution which only allows you to copy the currently saved preset  -which really doesnt help anything)

I dont know..Not a dealbreaker. I guess i just feel like its one of those things that simply shouldnt be missing with the flexibility of todays toys. Without one of these functions, it makes changing any preset impossible. Literally. Yeah i guess you *could* stop what you are doing, try and remember the two or three changes youve already made, copy your preset, search for an open slot, paste it, go back to the preset you WERE working on...ect...ect...Oh man what a buzzkill.  I NEVER go into a preset with "Hey i might change this preset, i better copy it first" in mind.

This implementation seems to make so much sense, it should have never been missing (or removed- as i said about an earlier firmware)

Just to clarify what is implied in your question, because I'm not sitting at my Helix right now......

You're saying that if you have edited but not SAVEd a preset, and you copy/paste it in its edited form, what you get in the destination slot is the original unedited preset?

• Like 1

I'm mystified by this also.  I've been on my Helix since I think it was FW 1.21 and I really don't remember any special save in current state functionality.  More importantly I don't get what you're talking about here.  It may be that I don't ever end up in the situation being described because every patch I own resides on my hard drive and is manually exported after every change.  So once it's loaded into memory I always have a saved version I can go back to.

• Like 1

Maybe snapshots? The manual says "As soon as you alter a new snapshot... the snapshot becomes "active" and remembers any changes. Then "switch back to the snapshot you started with- Helix instantly and seamlessly returns to its previous state". 

I really don't know but this sounds like a viable workaround...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silverhead said:

Just to clarify what is implied in your question, because I'm not sitting at my Helix right now......

You're saying that if you have edited but not SAVEd a preset, and you copy/paste it in its edited form, what you get in the destination slot is the original unedited preset?

This comes up once in a while.  Save As would be great (I want more IR slots instead of preset slots too!), but there is a workable alternative for now.  If you change a preset and do NOT save it, if you copy that changed preset to another slot, the original preset is in the new slot and then if you save the preset you edited, you have both.  The down side is that if your preset locations matter, you have to swap them (put the original back where it was).  I number all my presets like I do my IRs, which helps.  Between presets, IRs, Helix and Native, it's become a bit of a data management nightmare to keep it all straight!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, silverhead said:

Yup... that's how mine works, too. Took me a while to figure it out, but that is definitely the default behavior. Initially I assumed that if I made changes to a patch, then copied and pasted it into an empty slot WITHOUT saving it first, that it would be transferred to the new location with the changes I had just made...but that ain't what happens. It only copies the last saved version of the patch. Always seemed odd to me. It's a minor gripe, but it would be nice if the changes moved with the patch, leaving the original one in its old location. Just seems more intuitive that way, but I've made my peace with it. Is what it is...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Doug6String said:

This comes up once in a while.  Save As would be great (I want more IR slots instead of preset slots too!), but there is a workable alternative for now.  If you change a preset and do NOT save it, if you copy that changed preset to another slot, the original preset is in the new slot and then if you save the preset you edited, you have both.  The down side is that if your preset locations matter, you have to swap them (put the original back where it was).  I number all my presets like I do my IRs, which helps.  Between presets, IRs, Helix and Native, it's become a bit of a data management nightmare to keep it all straight!

Totally agree on the IR slots, though sometimes when i bring it up i get the ole "Whattayaneedthatfor????"

If you change a preset and do NOT save it, if you copy that changed preset to another slot, the original preset is in the new slot and then if you save the preset you edited, you have both.

ahhhh ok yeah, i forgot about this lil maneuver. I think ive always been afraid to try it, worried that i may lose one of the presets. By the time i think to try it on a preset that doesnt matter, its a distant after thought. Thanks for pointing that one out.

22 hours ago, silverhead said:

Thats correct...and again, i specifically remember one firmware version that acted a bit differently, where copying an edited preset, allowed the user to paste that newly edited preset to a new location. It was right around the time the Matchless was added. Give or take.

6 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yup... that's how mine works, too. Took me a while to figure it out, but that is definitely the default behavior. Initially I assumed that if I made changes to a patch, then copied and pasted it into an empty slot WITHOUT saving it first, that it would be transferred to the new location with the changes I had just made...but that ain't what happens. It only copies the last saved version of the patch. Always seemed odd to me. It's a minor gripe, but it would be nice if the changes moved with the patch, leaving the original one in its old location. Just seems more intuitive that way, but I've made my peace with it. Is what it is...

Right! Not a dealbreaker, but i was having a hard time making MY peace with it i guess. Until now, as Doug says, after youve copied and pasted the edited patch (which as we know - will relocate the unedited version of your patch) , you can just hit save on the edited and original patch (which as we forgot - will replace the old patch with the newly edited version) Kinda like a "reverse save as" lol. What a mind f**k!  but i guess now, i can make peace with that.

Still, how hard of an implementation can "save as" be?

when you click the save button once, it asks you for a destination and you can rename it at that time. That IS "save as" without being explicitly named that. It just doesn't fit the Microsoft model naming convention that everyone is used to. It is not a PC however, so I wouldn't expect the same workflow to follow a PC. 

4 hours ago, jbuhajla said:

when you click the save button once, it asks you for a destination and you can rename it at that time. That IS "save as" without being explicitly named that. It just doesn't fit the Microsoft model naming convention that everyone is used to. It is not a PC however, so I wouldn't expect the same workflow to follow a PC. 

Editing on the device maybe, but using HX Edit on a Mac, it only asks about the destination the first time you're saving a patch to a empty slot... thereafter, if you're editing an existing patch, hitting "save" does just that, without asking you where you want it to end up. I hardly ever touch anything on Helix itself, I'm always editing on the laptop...if I had to bend down to tweak things constantly,  I'd end up on an operating table... too old for that, lol. 

10 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Editing on the device maybe, but using HX Edit on a Mac, it only asks about the destination the first time you're saving a patch to a empty slot... thereafter, if you're editing an existing patch, hitting "save" does just that, without asking you where you want it to end up. I hardly ever touch anything on Helix itself, I'm always using editing on the laptop...bending down to tweak things constantly ain't an option...I'm too old for that, lol. 

Yeah, I have literally never done anything on my rack that can be done with the editor!  I'm "old" but I prefer to credit my exclusive use of the editor to my technological proclivity!

5 hours ago, willjrock said:

Totally agree on the IR slots, though sometimes when i bring it up i get the ole "Whattayaneedthatfor????"

ahhhh ok yeah, i forgot about this lil maneuver. I think ive always been afraid to try it, worried that i may lose one of the presets. By the time i think to try it on a preset that doesnt matter, its a distant after thought. Thanks for pointing that one out.

I'm doing a major reworking of presets and IRs right now and luckily I have a friend from this Forum who has a program to help sort it all out!

21 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Editing on the device maybe, but using HX Edit on a Mac, it only asks about the destination the first time you're saving a patch to a empty slot... thereafter, if you're editing an existing patch, hitting "save" does just that, without asking you where you want it to end up. I hardly ever touch anything on Helix itself, I'm always editing on the laptop...if I had to bend down to tweak things constantly,  I'd end up on an operating table... too old for that, lol. 

I am opposite. At home I have my Helix Floor on a desk with the laptop. I do 95% of my preset work on the Helix and the laptop mainly for renaming presets and backup/file management. That way when I play out live with Helix on the floor, I am 100% confident on my navigation skills on the Helix itself in case I need to do that. 

On 4/22/2018 at 7:58 AM, jbuhajla said:

I apologize. I should have specified. I always make that mistake. i get so used to editing on the editor that i dont even consider the possibility that someone is editing on the machine itself....but as per your comments i see you are similar ha ha....you never considered the fact that i wasnt editing on the machine. 

On 4/22/2018 at 12:47 PM, Doug6String said:

I'm doing a major reworking of presets and IRs right now and luckily I have a friend from this Forum who has a program to help sort it all out!

I wish they would do something here. The IR process still isnt as easy as it *should* be. I don't use hx cabs at all,  so IRs are extremely important to me. Having to number them all the time or even rename them all the time, since the names never fit, is a bit of a PITA.

Not being able to see which IRs are tied to which presets means that i may have 40 IRs not even being used, but still sitting in slots taking up valuable space that could be used for auditioning new tones.

1)If they could make the actual slot number part of the export, that could help a lot.

2)A separate back-up and restore for just the IRs could help too. 

3)Hoping for,  sooner rather than later,  SOME way to see which IRs are being used and hopefully by which preset, even when being used multiple times.

1 hour ago, willjrock said:

2)A separate back-up and restore for just the IRs could help too. 

Right now, if you create a backup, you can choose to restore only IRs from it if you want. Just uncheck Presets and Global Settings after hitting "Restore from backup".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phil_m said:

Right now, if you create a backup, you can choose to restore only IRs from it if you want. Just uncheck Presets and Global Settings after hitting "Restore from backup".

Thats great news phil. Ive never actually hit "restore" so i didnt know what it did ha ha.