Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to set mic gain and levels?

hgavert

Hi!

I have a Rode NT2-A mic that I'm trying to use for recording acoustic guitars. I get sound, but it's very low. So I turn up the mic gain  randomly to +30db and I set up a pre-amp to boost the signal chain. However, I'm actually totally lost on how should I set the gain for the mic? How to monitor it? I'm currently just running into GarageBand with USB. What would be the best procedure to set up the gain for the mic? After that is ok, I think I can get rest of the chain levels to suitable level with MLoudnessAnalyzer in in GB.

First off, sweet mic.

What type of room are you playing in?  I record a lot of nylon and refuse to put a pu in my high end flamenco.  I find that large, open spaces provide the least bleed and allow me to capture more of the natural tone.

When I use a preamp I put a compressor after it.  Try staging back to around 20-25db and notch it from there.  The 'according to Hoyle' rule is recording somewhere between -18 to -12db, but so long as I'm not clipping, I prefer around -12 to -6db.  Also, if you have another condenser laying around, you might consider putting the NT2 a few inches from the neck joint and the second mic around 6" from the bridge (There are scads of different patterns you can try with two mics).  If you decide to try that, make sure the mics have plenty of space between them. 

19 minutes ago, PiFromBRC said:

Try staging back to around 20-25db and notch it from there.  The 'according to Hoyle' rule is recording somewhere between -18 to -12db, but so long as I'm not clipping, I prefer around -12 to -6db. 

Yes, this sounds great. However, why would I have 20-25dB or 30dB or whatever? I know I can see the final recording level in GB and set it to something lie -6dB at the most (that's what I try to do also BTW). But as there is no input level monitor on the Helix, how should I set the right gain? Should I run empty signal path to GB and try to set the gain so that I'm around -12 to -6dB without anything, not even the preamp, in the signal path? And then start to add things in there and keep on monitorin the levels?

I think it would help so much if the mic input would have a level indicator or at least clipping indicator.

On the Helix, go to Settings -> Global Settings -> Ins/Outs -> Page 3. You have two "Re-Amp Src" parameters, those determine which inputs get routed to USB audio input channels 7 and 8. Set one of those to "Mic", then go to your DAW and monitor the level on the channel you assigned while changing the Mic Gain on your Helix. A "Re-Amp Src" channel is always dry,  so you'll see the raw input level and can adjust it accordingly.

As for the wet level, my approach is to monitor the output (USB Input Channels 1/2 for L/R) while bypassing all blocks but the first, all but the second and so on, until I have the entire chain adjusted  to either unity gain or some level where there's no clipping.

20 hours ago, dragonfet said:

On the Helix, go to Settings -> Global Settings -> Ins/Outs -> Page 3. You have two "Re-Amp Src" parameters, those determine which inputs get routed to USB audio input channels 7 and 8. Set one of those to "Mic", then go to your DAW and monitor the level on the channel you assigned while changing the Mic Gain on your Helix. A "Re-Amp Src" channel is always dry,  so you'll see the raw input level and can adjust it accordingly.

As for the wet level, my approach is to monitor the output (USB Input Channels 1/2 for L/R) while bypassing all blocks but the first, all but the second and so on, until I have the entire chain adjusted  to either unity gain or some level where there's no clipping.

^ That ^ .  I agree about some type of a clipping graphic.  It would be pretty easy to squeeze one in on the side of the screen graphic.

14 hours ago, PiFromBRC said:

^ That ^ .  I agree about some type of a clipping graphic.  It would be pretty easy to squeeze one in on the side of the screen graphic.

I have no idea why they left that out. My Boss GT-10B had a peakmeter for every block and in total, and I hope the Helix will get one in the future too.

As much as I would like new Models in the next firmware update, along with the expansion of HX reverbs... I would really like to see a meter on input (and output) as well as clip indicators on each & every block in the chain.  I know I am not alone in this. 

Obviously you couldn't have them just flash red. The dynamic blocks, and amp/cab blocks are red by default. Perhaps a blinking red box that surrounds the effect block that clips almost like the indicator of the one you have selected. 

This is a long-standing desire from most.  As it is, I use the meters on my other FX and in the mixer to check for clipping.  That, or at the DAW if I'm at home at the time.  It's a pain in the a$$, but not a deal breaker for me.  If it happens, awesome.