Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Theshotski

I'm having a tough time getting my TC-50 head to respond to my Helix LT for amp control via MIDI. This is my first time attempting to use MIDI.

I'm connected to the amp via 4cm, with the MIDI connected from the out on the helix to the in on the amp. I'm running the helix in snapshot mode. What I'm specifically trying to achieve is channel changes on the amp, along with standard effect/parameter changes in helix.

Example:

Footswitch 1: CLEAN on TC-50 with Helix reverb + delay

Footswitch 2: LO on TC-50 with Helix overdrive + reverb

Amps midi CC numbers/values for channels:

CLEAN = CC 20 w/ value 64 - 127

LO = CC 21 w/ value 64 - 127

HI = CC 22 w/ value 64 - 127

Things to note. The amp also responds to midi program changes - I've noticed that if I scroll through the presets menu that my amp changes channels with varying features coming on and off. So for some reason helix is sending program changes when loading a preset. If I could isolate that function to snapshots I would also be happy, as I could use the amp's solo/reverb/fx loop options as well instead of just singular purpose CC messages. Any help much appreciated.

By default, the LT automatically sends PC messages when selecting presets. That's what you're noticing in your last paragraph. To turn that off, go to Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo and set the MIDI Send PC parameter to "Off".

As far as the Instant Commands to change channels on your amp, it would probably be easier to use PC messages than CC. If you use PC messages, you could do it all with one Instant Command and just set a different PC# per snapshot. If you use CCs, you'll need to use a separate Instant Command for each CC#, and set the correct value for each one in each snapshot. For instance, if you wanted Snapshot 1 to be Clean, Snapshot 2 to be Lo and Snapshot 3 to be Hi, you have to do the following:

Snapshot 1: Instant Command 1: CC20, value 127, Instant Command 2: CC21, value 0, Instant Command 3: CC22, value 0.

Snapshot 2: Instant Command 1: CC20, value 0, Instant Command 2: CC21, value 127, Instant Command 3: CC22, value 0.

Snapshot 3: Instant Command 1: CC20, value 0, Instant Command 2: CC21, value 0, Instant Command 3: CC22, value 127.

So you would need to use that sort of matrix for any CCs you want to send out as Instant Commands. It gets to be somewhat of a pain to program them all. With a PC, you're just changing the one Instant Command per snapshot.

Thanks for the reply Phil!

I'd be happier using PC messages. I have absolutely no clue how to use the instant commands, let alone attach them to a footswitch. If I can just get each footswitch to send a different program change I would be very happy.

Basically I have no knowledge how to make this work other than where to connect the cables. I've been trying for a few hours now and  can't get the amp to respond to anything - other than scrolling through the presets menu prior to turning off the MIDI Send PC. Again, I appreciate any help on this - it's driving me slowly insane.

You can assign PC messages that stomp switches or you can have them sent out as Instant Commands. You do both by going to the Command Center. The Command Center is described on page 35 of the manual. The Instant Commands are represented by the six little lightning bolt icons on the screen there. Once you go there, it should make more sense to you.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys...my TC-50 will be here tomorrow (Friday).
So I downloaded the owners manual and went in to the Helix to go ahead and program the midi to control the amp ahead of time.

But the Instant Change commands don't seem to save to the individual snapshots.
Is that because I don't have the TC-50 hooked up via midi yet (since it's not here)?

Or am I missing something else? What I did was I chose Snapshot 1. Went into command center. Set up Instant change one to send midi cc to turn on the "Crunch" channel of the TC-50 (or "Lo" as it's called on the amp). Then I set up Instant change 2 to send the midi cc to turn on the effects loop on the amp.
Then I clicked on the button for Snapshot 2. But the Instant Change commands I set up for Snapshot 1 were still there. 

So I thought maybe that's how it works and I need to change them to what I need for Snapshot 2. So for that I needed to change to the "Hi" channel on the amp. So I put that midi cc in the Instant change 1

But then when I went back to Snapshot 1...I see that it's showing what I had just inputted for Snapshot 2. 

Is it just because I don't have the actual amp hooked up via midi yet? Or am I missing a step?

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 3:49 PM, TRENDKILLCFH333 said:

Mesa TC-100 and Helix owner here - let me know if you have any questions!  

I use the PC commands for channel selection and the CC commands for Reverb, Solo and FX Loop controls.  

It's a great rig!!

I am running an HX Effects through a Mesa TC100 head via MIDI and have not had any luck getting the HX to switch the channels on the head in snapshot mode.

I have tried following both the amp and HX manual as well as some of the posts on this thread with no luck. There must be something small I'm missing. Help! Haha.

Thanks,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Was struggling with Mesa TC100 / Helix 4cm until last night. It required the use of two loops on the Helix: one set to Instrument level to Send to the input of the TC100 and one set to Line level to Return from the TC100 Effects Loop Send. Also, the 1/4 output on the Helix needed to be set to Line level to connect to the TC100 Effects Return. BINGO! Also, the little rotary switch on the back of the TC100 for selecting MIDI channel is one number off...to set the TC100 to MIDI channel 2, set the rotary switch to 1 (duh!!)

• 3 months later...

I have been using HX Effects for a while but got a Mesa TC100 this weekend and have connected the, via midi cable.  I am old and trying to use midi switching for the first time; I am having no luck.  I have read the manuals to both the HX effects and the amp.  In HX editor, I set a named a new preset (#17) TC100. I then created the first snapshot and went to the command center to assign the midi command by selecting the first lightning bolt.  I held down the store switch on the amp and then repeated with a second snapshot for the next amp channel.  When I selected the first snapshot again, the channel did not change back.

Help, please! I guess I do not understand the simplicity of midi I keep reading about!

Thanks

Mike

• 2 years later...

I have read all of these, and I cannot get my TC100 to respond to any changes I am putting into the Helix LT...I need a play by play. I hear you guys saying use PC commands instead of cc...what does that mean? I figured out setting up snapshots, but if I set the TC100 to midi channel 1, and then have a snapshot at cc21 (lo or channel 2)  and 64-127...nothing happens when selecting this snapshot. Where are these Instant Commands?