Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500x vs. Firehawk...please help me decide

MarcoLikesTeles

Hi! First time poster here!

I have always been a complete analog gear user. But I joined a new band as a rhythm guitarist and all the band uses multi-effects units directly into pa. I never cared much for these kinds of things but am now quite impressed with the opportunities. I am currently borrowing my bandleaders Vox Tone-Lab unit, but want to buy something of my own. After doing an extensiv research it comes down to the POD HD 500x or the Firehawk.

As I said, I am the rhythm guitarist in our band. I do not need a HUGE variety of tones, but a few which sound really good when played directly into the pa. We play cover songs and originals ranging from Southern Rock to Blues Rock to Rock and Roll. We are doing small to medium sized gigs on regular basis. I play a Fender Telecaster.

So what do you suggest for my needs? The POD HD500x, which ist 411 Euros here in Germany or the Firehawk FX, which is 333 Euros.

I appreciate your answers!

21 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

... all the onboard controls directly on the device,...

This is something to really consider. The Firehawk is very dependent on an "APP" and "Bluetooth" to get the most out of it. 

It is only a matter of time when an APP is no longer updated/supported to work on the latest devices and although Bluetooth has survived the test of time, "what comes next" is always a question in the tech world.  There will come a day with the unit will need to be able to work "on it's own"... something the HD is much better equipped for. 

Just my 2 cents on the subject... 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, codamedia said:

The Firehawk is very dependent on an "APP" and "Bluetooth" to get the most out of it. 

But the 500, while functional on its own, requires a computer and USB to "get the most out of it". Android doesn't work. Portable Apple products don't work. Those Windows "lite" versions don't work. No bluetooth, wifi, hdmi, or ethernet.

They really are two different units in that aspect. 

18 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

use the editor is to rearrange patches and setlists

Well, that is "getting the most". 

Of course, I know guys with the 500 (non-X version) running the original firmware because they didn't have a computer to update, or didn't even know that they could (and should) update the unit. So, really, do we need "the most" out of the unit? 

Marco, 

If this is a "professional" band, you may be able to not need to make a decision. Ask them what they want and if they will buy it. You, as a member, will use it. But they, as a business, will own it. If you ever leave, they won't need to worry about finding a player that can "get tone" because they will provide the tone, the player only needs to worry about his guitars (and hitting the right notes, obviously). 

6 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

But the 500, while functional on its own, requires a computer and USB to "get the most out of it".

My comment is based on access & editing on the device itself ... sorry I didn't make that clear :) IMO, the HD500(x) is much easier and faster to use if you forced to edit from the device alone which is inevitable at some point. This is important to me, it may not be important to others.

For the record, I rarely (almost never) use the computer to edit the HD... I only use it for patch management, backup & restore. Nothing that I couldn't live without if the software support stopped tomorrow. 

(EDIT: I took the word LIVE out of the first sentence (live access and editing)... wrong word choice)

And I never touch the unit live. If it isn't ready to go by the time I walk on stage, I don't deserve to be on stage. 

But the point was... 'to get the most out of the unit' means getting the most out of it, not just being able to survive with the basics. And one uses newer connectivity, while the other uses older connectivity. 

1 hour ago, pianoguyy said:

And I never touch the unit live. If it isn't ready to go by the time I walk on stage, I don't deserve to be on stage. 

If that is what you took away from my post, then you are completely missing my point. 

The verbiage LINE 6 uses to edit a Firehawk from the device is "LIVE EDIT MODE"... it doesn't mean editing in front of an audience. 

Thanks for your replies! It seems that both units would be able to get the job done.

17 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

Marco, 

If this is a "professional" band, you may be able to not need to make a decision. Ask them what they want and if they will buy it. You, as a member, will use it. But they, as a business, will own it. If you ever leave, they won't need to worry about finding a player that can "get tone" because they will provide the tone, the player only needs to worry about his guitars (and hitting the right notes, obviously). 

That would be nice, but unfortunately no, my band isn't that professional..

Are there any opinions on how the two units differ soundwise? Is one of the both more proficient compared to the other?

The PODHD500 is not a plug in, turn on, and it sounds great type of unit.  The presets suck and you have to learn how to configure the tones you want.  This will take time and it will sound really good once you figure it out.  Just be patient and ask questions.

• Upvote 1