Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression Pedal Auto Engage???

Pat6969

I was able to set the pedal to be off in the heel down position on my HXFX but can I get it to be off in the toe down position and auto engage from there? Acts more like a real wah if that is possible and that is what I was use to on the AX8. Sorry if this has been posted before. Thanks.

Yes, you can do that. I would suggest reversing the pedal's polarity under Global Settings>Pedals. That way the Wait parameter for the Auto-Engage functionality will work as intended. So with the polarity reversed, 0% would be at the toe, and 100% would be at the heel. You would probably want the position for the bypass to be between 1 and 5%. You would also need to go and reverse the Min and Max settings for whatever parameter you're controlling the pedal.

20 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Yes, you can do that. I would suggest reversing the pedal's polarity under Global Settings>Pedals. That way the Wait parameter for the Auto-Engage functionality will work as intended. So with the polarity reversed, 0% would be at the toe, and 100% would be at the heel. You would probably want the position for the bypass to be between 1 and 5%. You would also need to go and reverse the Min and Max settings for whatever parameter you're controlling the pedal.

Perfect, thanks. One other question. I bought the EX-1 expression pedal but I really don't like it. I want to use the Roland EV-5, will that work 100% with the HXFX?

The Helix expects a TS plug - not TRS as many expression pedals have.

Per the Roland web site the EV-5 is TRS so that won't work as is and would have to be modified.

I attached a schematic for the EV-5 mod.  Thanks to the author of these circuits!   I forget where I downloaded them from.

I use a Moog EP-3.  It has a TRS connector but I rewired it for TS using the attached schematic.

Most common TS expression circuits use a 10k pot but my Moog EP-3 has 100k pot and it works fine.

Not sure why the graphic shows a 10k pot for the EP-3.  Mine is 100k.

Line6_Pedal_schematic_Roland_EV5.thumb.jpg.5e94e9dbc7897010f0ec34846c9990a2.jpgLine6_Pedal_schematic_Moog_EP3.thumb.jpg.f81a5460c4c16fd204782c94c717bb65.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 4/23/2018 at 11:59 AM, phil_m said:

You would also need to go and reverse the Min and Max settings for whatever parameter you're controlling the pedal.

Hey Phil - How do I do that in the wah block?  It doesn't seem like there's a way.  

When I reverse the polarity so toe-down is off, the wah works backwards and I can't seem to reverse the min/max.

Thanks for all your help!