Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Harsh Tones/ offensive replies

ddmilne

Some suggestions for you, Northerntwang:

• Focus on one patch at a time. Get it to somewhere you're happy with, then you can compare the next patch's level with this one.
  • Build new patches based on the old ones by copying them and then editing, rather than starting from no blocks at all. A bit of planning in advance can let you build the 'foundation' patches first and then just make slightly tweaked copies of those for other patches.
  • If you aren't already, use the looper to record a phrase and leave that playing while you tweak the dials. This way you're not going back and forth between the unit and the guitar for every adjustment.
  • Consider using stomps or snapshots for similar tones instead of separate patches, if it can work with your usage, as this can reduce the total number of blocks you need to tweak.
  • Don't be afraid to adjust the output level up or down several decibels to suit the amp, desk, or whatever you plug into. If you find most of your amps are too quiet and your volume dial is already up high then a small output boost is probably what you need. I needed a +6dB output on every patch to get the Helix to produce a decent signal level for my amps.
  • ...see if you can work out how to get your Helix showing up as a registered instrument in your Line 6 forum account because apparently several members seem to be getting paranoid that people like you and I are not 'real' Line 6 users.

It also can put people off if you create multiple accounts on a forum to express your concerns multiple times. A person might conclude that you are spamming the forum with complaints.

Regards...

3 hours ago, northerntwang said:

Ok understand where you're coming from and appreciate any help I'm in my dinner break so I'll make it quick sorry in advance for any errors. I wanted to work through my Helix and make a list of issues and come back to you guys  but of the top of my head issues I'm coming across are a lot of the  amp model volumes seem to be too quiet compared to others. I realise different amps will have different volumes but it doesn't make it easy  when creating 30+ patches and switching patches and realise its a problem with every fx unit I know but I find this more of a problem with the Helix. I have a great sounding Wampler Tweed 57 I've been trying to get a similar sound but don't seem to be able to dial a natural sounding crunch, I may be picky here because Wampler  is an  awesome pedals and love the 57 pedal. I could use it in a send and return loop but I think it defeats having a multi effect unit. My biggest problem is I need to work along side with the rest of the band to sort out a lot of my issues, they've have been patient up to now  but are loosing the will to carry on.  I have done half the work but not quite there yet, don't get me wrong some patches are good but its taking a lot more time to sort than anticipated and that's probably my fault I've heard so many reviews saying how easy it is and it is to create a patch but if I want 30 patches at the same volume and quality its not. When I get chance I'll post some patches I'm sure you guys would be able to give me some advise in to improving them but moving house at the moment so not that easy at the moment.  Regards

A lot of us have been down this road.  Even coming over from the HD500X to the Helix I had to make some adjustments in how I approached building my presets.  The volume issues are normal and have been on every modeler I've ever owned.  That's because modeling is nothing more than digital modeling of the behaviors of individual components in a given circuit, so it's to be expected.  But even coming over from the HD500X I knew there would be some adjustment so I continued to use my HD500X for about a month or so in my live performances until I had time to build my knowledge and proficiency in getting the sound I wanted from the Helix.  The fact is I was building MUCH better presets a year after I had it, and I'm building even better ones today a year later.  So it's an ongoing process and it's likely going to take somewhat more in your case at the start if you aren't coming from a full-fledged modeling device such as an POD or Axe or something of that nature.  Helix is easy, relatively speaking.  But modeling by it's very nature requires some learning.

A classic example is the Wampler Tweed 57 which is a fully formed emulation whereas emulation of it on the Helix will require designing a signal chain with the right combination of amp, cabinet/IR, mic type(s)and mic placement(s) because those sorts of things are all baked in to the Wampler pedal.  But the good news is, you can make some interesting adjustments to that core sound by simply changing cabinets or mics or mic placements which would be impossible on the Wampler.

5 hours ago, kylotan said:

Some suggestions for you, Northerntwang:

• Focus on one patch at a time. Get it to somewhere you're happy with, then you can compare the next patch's level with this one.
  • Build new patches based on the old ones by copying them and then editing, rather than starting from no blocks at all. A bit of planning in advance can let you build the 'foundation' patches first and then just make slightly tweaked copies of those for other patches.
  • If you aren't already, use the looper to record a phrase and leave that playing while you tweak the dials. This way you're not going back and forth between the unit and the guitar for every adjustment.
  • Consider using stomps or snapshots for similar tones instead of separate patches, if it can work with your usage, as this can reduce the total number of blocks you need to tweak.
  • Don't be afraid to adjust the output level up or down several decibels to suit the amp, desk, or whatever you plug into. If you find most of your amps are too quiet and your volume dial is already up high then a small output boost is probably what you need. I needed a +6dB output on every patch to get the Helix to produce a decent signal level for my amps.
  • ...see if you can work out how to get your Helix showing up as a registered instrument in your Line 6 forum account because apparently several members seem to be getting paranoid that people like you and I are not 'real' Line 6 users.

Thanks for the advice I like the idea of using the looper to adjust the volume  levels I wouldn't of thought of that one I'll certainly try it,  glad I found the forum I'm learning all the time here. Oh didn't realise about the registered instrument  thanks again I'll look in to it...

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

A lot of us have been down this road.  Even coming over from the HD500X to the Helix I had to make some adjustments in how I approached building my presets.  The volume issues are normal and have been on every modeler I've ever owned.  That's because modeling is nothing more than digital modeling of the behaviors of individual components in a given circuit, so it's to be expected.  But even coming over from the HD500X I knew there would be some adjustment so I continued to use my HD500X for about a month or so in my live performances until I had time to build my knowledge and proficiency in getting the sound I wanted from the Helix.  The fact is I was building MUCH better presets a year after I had it, and I'm building even better ones today a year later.  So it's an ongoing process and it's likely going to take somewhat more in your case at the start if you aren't coming from a full-fledged modeling device such as an POD or Axe or something of that nature.  Helix is easy, relatively speaking.  But modeling by it's very nature requires some learning.

A classic example is the Wampler Tweed 57 which is a fully formed emulation whereas emulation of it on the Helix will require designing a signal chain with the right combination of amp, cabinet/IR, mic type(s)and mic placement(s) because those sorts of things are all baked in to the Wampler pedal.  But the good news is, you can make some interesting adjustments to that core sound by simply changing cabinets or mics or mic placements which would be impossible on the Wampler.

Cheers I'm getting some great advice from the forum and being to feel more positive about the Helix I'm actually working on this now,  as they say Rome wasn't built in a day :-)

5 hours ago, j_hotch said:

It also can put people off if you create multiple accounts on a forum to express your concerns multiple times. A person might conclude that you are spamming the forum with complaints.

Regards...

I just want to put this incorrect assumption to rest. According to the respective IP addresses (ddmilne and northerntwang) they are indeed different people. 

• Upvote 1

Of course IP addresses can be spoofed. But to further assume that this was done in this situation is, I think, stretching things quite a bit.  Sometimes the simple explanation is the correct one, especially when there's no actual evidence to the contrary.  The simple explanation is that they are different people. I'll just leave it there.

Sometimes the simple explanation is the correct one, especially when there's no actual evidence to the contrary. 

LOL Silver- I actually agree with you. That said, was I the kettle or the pot? ; )