Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix recommended global headphone settings ?

MarkeG

21 minutes ago, kennyhickey said:

I have the 250 ohm version of these cans. 

I have to bump the output block up by at least 3.0db otherwise its way to quiet. This may be due the the 250ohms but I tried the 80ohm version and I think I had to do the same.

Not a problem I have with the 80 ohm version. Otherwise, what DD said: you need do nothing - these are relatively flat response studio headphones that simply reproduce what the Helix outputs without colouring it.

1 hour ago, line6bbd said:

Not a problem I have with the 80 ohm version. Otherwise, what DD said: you need do nothing - these are relatively flat response studio headphones that simply reproduce what the Helix outputs without colouring it.

I have not had my Helix for very long and I’m  stumbling through learning how to use it. 

Not to hijack the thread but I’m curious where your headphone volume knob is set around?  I know there are several things that can give you more volume such as the amp channel volume or overdrive setting ect . With the 3.0 dB bump on the output block my headphone volume knob is around 1-2oclockish. Before the 3.0 dB I had to have it around 3oclock or higher.

again, total newb here....

When I got the Helix that was the  first thing that struck me is why is it so darn quiet through my headphones.

46 minutes ago, kennyhickey said:

I have not had my Helix for very long and I’m  stumbling through learning how to use it. 

Not to hijack the thread but I’m curious where your headphone volume knob is set around?  I know there are several things that can give you more volume such as the amp channel volume or overdrive setting ect . With the 3.0 dB bump on the output block my headphone volume knob is around 1-2oclockish. Before the 3.0 dB I had to have it around 3oclock or higher.

again, total newb here....

When I got the Helix that was the  first thing that struck me is why is it so darn quiet through my headphones.

I'm willing to bet that it's the 250 ohm impedance that's the culprit. I've seen it mentioned that higher impedance cans are recommended, but I've been using AKG K701's since I got my Helix, which are all of 55 ohms. Nothing clips, and if I turn the volume up much past 11-12 o'clock, it's uncomfortably loud anyway. So even if they would start to clip sooner than a pair with higher impedance, I'd go deaf long before I got there...

You could always try a small headphone amp between the headphone out and your cans, but it may or may not add additional coloration to the sound.

47 minutes ago, kennyhickey said:

Not to hijack the thread but I’m curious where your headphone volume knob is set around?

These days I actually run the Helix L&R 1/4in outputs into a desktop Yamaha MG06 mixer and the headphones out from the mixer. So I can't really comment on your question directly. However, prolly just what cruisinon2 said: 250 ohm impedance is a bit too high, hence the volume drop.

[EDIT:] Just tried headphones direct into Hx and its bordering on too loud at maximum output. I really wouldn't practice at this volume for long with headphones as I'd fear for me ears...