Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it possible to use a regular POD HD (not 500, just regular HD) live, direct to a PA system?

Question for gearheads out there, because I am very not-knowledgeable when it comes to lollipoping around with gear. Long story short, I've got a show coming up that I recently discovered I may not have an amp for. If I can't get my hands on one in time, is it possible to use my POD HD without a head or cab at all, and just connect that directly to the PA system? I've done some Googling but pretty much every single thread I've found about using a POD in a live setting has been in regards to the HD 500, which makes sense, because that's the one designed for it - but I only have the regular HD, not the 500. The genre of the music I'm playing is very simple and straightforward heavy metal, so I would use one tone for the entire show and not change any settings at all, if that helps.

Can it be done? Thanks for any help.

This is the Pod HD Desktop (Bean)?

According to the manual (https://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/data/6/0a06434dfd7b4f8c3843cd684/application/pdf/POD HD Advanced Guide v2.0 ( Rev A ).pdf), the System View has Studio/Direct mode which you should be able to set and run to the PA no problem. The sound person will probably set up a DI box for you to plug in to, so you'd be 1/4" out (Left/Mono) to 1/4" in on the DI. You could ask him/her for a stereo DI if you had some stereo effects you wanted to keep, but if it's a small gig they probably won't want to give you two channels.

It should be absolutely no problem. How your patch sounds through a PA is a whole different experience though compared to your headphones. Good luck and let us know how it went so people reading this thread later have the update.

I play in two bands at the moment. I play guitar in one and bass in the other. I use a POD HD Desktop (bean) as my rig for both and I run direct 99% of the time. I do have a DT50112 and DT25 head cab that I use for some shows on guitar...But even then I am taking the directs of the DT50s...Desktop is not really any different other than it does not have the MIC Level XLR outputs...just stick a direct box on it...no difference in the tones...In my guitar band the other guitarist uses an HD500X...We have compared them over the last 8 years or so...Nothing to worry about...You just need a shortboard to control it in a live situation...One advatage is that I never have to bend over to tweak my tones and my tone is safe in the backline...no power needed on the front of the stage either...I setup and tear down much faster then my counterpart does as he's a 4CM kinda guy sometimes...but direct most of the time with some extra pedals...I don't add anything else in live situations.

I run my master at noon and hits the consoles with plenty of signal...most need the pad in for that...All depends on the actual patch level...If your chain level is really low, then yea more Master is better, but the signal to noise will not be as good as running the chain hot before the converter...All depends on what the post mixer FX blocks are as to the point the modelled clipping of a particular effect start becoming very apparent.

btw, a direct box is not actually needed with the desktop. The main outputs are balanced. You can use a TRS->XLR adapter. DI is just logistically easier in most venues...

Yes you can do this.  But ANY PODHD will take a while to build a tone that sounds good.  Don't expect to turn it on, grab a preset, and go.  If you only get a few days to work with it you probably won't have enough time to learn it and build the tone you want.

On 27/04/2018 at 11:30 AM, spaceatl said:

I run my master at noon and hits the consoles with plenty of signal...most need the pad in for that...All depends on the actual patch level...If your chain level is really low, then yea more Master is better, but the signal to noise will not be as good as running the chain hot before the converter...All depends on what the post mixer FX blocks are as to the point the modelled clipping of a particular effect start becoming very apparent.

btw, a direct box is not actually needed with the desktop. The main outputs are balanced. You can use a TRS->XLR adapter. DI is just logistically easier in most venues...

I've run POD HD Desktop direct to PA for 4 years in all kinds of venues and it worked great! Yes, I did take time really dialing in my tones before I did it. I always use a direct box because I have not been able to confirm for sure anywhere in any manuals or documentation that the 1/4" out is actually balanced.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:37 PM, napynap said:

I've run POD HD Desktop direct to PA for 4 years in all kinds of venues and it worked great! Yes, I did take time really dialing in my tones before I did it. I always use a direct box because I have not been able to confirm for sure anywhere in any manuals or documentation that the 1/4" out is actually balanced.

The quarter outs are balanced. That is actually in the HD Desktop Manual. It used to be on the website, but since it has been discontinued it looks like that stuff is no longer available. I think I have a pdf of it at home somewhere. If you email support, they would send you one I am sure.

19 hours ago, spaceatl said:

The quarter outs are balanced. That is actually in the HD Desktop Manual. It used to be on the website, but since it has been discontinued it looks like that stuff is no longer available. I think I have a pdf of it at home somewhere. If you email support, they would send you one I am sure.

As I said, I have combed through the manuals and documentation and do have the PDF. Please show me where it says the 1/4" outputs are balanced. I haven't been able to confirm for sure anywhere.

I was on the beta and have used the HD Desktop with TRS to XLR connectors for over 8 years...I think the Quick Start Guide has a mistake in it...This has been brought up many many times...Not sure what to tell you bro other than I have been using it for over 8 years and the Line 6 Engineers told me directly that they were balanced when they gave it to me and I have been using it with adapters instead of DI boxes...good luck.

11 hours ago, spaceatl said:

I was on the beta and have used the HD Desktop with TRS to XLR connectors for over 8 years...I think the Quick Start Guide has a mistake in it...This has been brought up many many times...Not sure what to tell you bro other than I have been using it for over 8 years and the Line 6 Engineers told me directly that they were balanced when they gave it to me and I have been using it with adapters instead of DI boxes...good luck.

OK, I'll go with that. I'll try to get adapters. It will save me some space in the container I keep it in. Thank you.

There is an easy way to know if the outputs are balanced or not....

Since balanced connectors are TRS... if you plug in a standard cable you should feel a distinct notch before it is all the way in as it passes by the RING connection. If that notch is there, it is definitely balanced regardless of documentation. I am pretty sure @spaceatl is right on this one... even the original bean I had was balanced and that was a few generations ago. 

That said... a TRS > XLR cable or adapter doesn't provide any isolation between the POD and the board & is the equivalent of a passive direct box without a ground lift. Isolation is only a problem if the TRS does not respond well to phantom... I have no idea if the bean does or doesn't but the HD500 was fine with it and the Helix is NOT.   More importantly... the lack of a ground lift would concern me so I would use a direct box. 

Just my 2 cents

On 5/14/2018 at 8:25 AM, codamedia said:

There is an easy way to know if the outputs are balanced or not....

Since balanced connectors are TRS... if you plug in a standard cable you should feel a distinct notch before it is all the way in as it passes by the RING connection. If that notch is there, it is definitely balanced regardless of documentation. I am pretty sure @spaceatl is right on this one... even the original bean I had was balanced and that was a few generations ago. 

That said... a TRS > XLR cable or adapter doesn't provide any isolation between the POD and the board & is the equivalent of a passive direct box without a ground lift. Isolation is only a problem if the TRS does not respond well to phantom... I have no idea if the bean does or doesn't but the HD500 was fine with it and the Helix is NOT.   More importantly... the lack of a ground lift would concern me so I would use a direct box. 

Just my 2 cents

Good point...one reason I use an AVR to power my gear...put a transformer on your AC power and ground loops are something you never have to worry about.

• Like 1