Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects and line level effects loop

medieval21

I am pretty sure the line level on the HX is +4... but I only base that on using it in my home studio. 

FYI: The line levels (-10 & +4) are compatible with each other as long as their is an input/output levels to accommodate. The HX has all kinds of ways to accommodate input/output levels to match gear. Line/Instrument level just puts you in the right ballpark to get started. 

Caveat: When I think about this, you may need to use both loops in a 4CM. I think the loops (send/returns) are adjusted as a pair and you need instrument level going into your amp at the start. 

Example: 
Guitar > HX Input (instrument level) > HX SEND 1 (instrument level) > Amp Input > Amp Send > HX RETURN 2 (line level) > HX Output (line level) > Amp return

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

I am pretty sure the line level on the HX is +4... but I only base that on using it in my home studio. 

FYI: The line levels (-10 & +4) are compatible with each other as long as their is an input/output levels to accommodate. The HX has all kinds of ways to accommodate input/output levels to match gear. Line/Instrument level just puts you in the right ballpark to get started. 

Caveat: When I think about this, you may need to use both loops in a 4CM. I think the loops (send/returns) are adjusted as a pair and you need instrument level going into your amp at the start. 

Example: 
Guitar > HX Input (instrument level) > HX SEND 1 (instrument level) > Amp Input > Amp Send > HX RETURN 2 (line level) > HX Output (line level) > Amp return

Hmmm.If i have to use both loops how i add my preamp to the signal flow? By adding loop 1 and 2 one right after the other?will this work?

4 minutes ago, medieval21 said:

Hmmm.If i have to use both loops how i add my preamp to the signal flow? By adding loop 1 and 2 one right after the other?will this work?

You can put each Send and Return in as separate blocks.  I would try using one FX Loop block first and mess around with the different levels and see if you can get it to work. I have a Bogner Atma, which has a line level loop, and I use the Helix with the 4CM with it with just a single FX Loop block, and it works fine. I have the Helix's loop set to instrument level.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, phil_m said:

You can put each Send and Return in as separate blocks.  I would try using one FX Loop block first and mess around with the different levels and see if you can get it to work. I have a Bogner Atma, which has a line level loop, and I use the Helix with the 4CM with it with just a single FX Loop block, and it works fine. I have the Helix's loop set to instrument level.

Oh that would be great as i don't want to use both loops to have the option to connect some extra pedals in one of them.i guess i will experiment and see what works best.Thanks for the answers guys.

• 2 years later...
On 5/1/2018 at 2:52 PM, medieval21 said:

Oh that would be great as i don't want to use both loops to have the option to connect some extra pedals in one of them.i guess i will experiment and see what works best.Thanks for the answers guys.

Medieval21, were you able to get this method to work? I am getting a Soldano Hot Rod 50+ next week and looking to revamp my board around the amp. It also has a Line level loop. I am really confused at what to do even after reading through these replies. I am not much of a tech guy but I think the HX Effects can do what I need it to do. I’m just looking at using the HX Effects in the loop for all my modulation, time based, and pitch shifting needs. Any help would be much appreciated. 

You can use the HXFX in your amp's loop like any other pedal.  Or you could go the 4cm (4 cable method) route and put pitch and drives before the amp and modulation and time based stuff in the amps effects loop.  Read codamedia's  earlier post in the threadOnce you wrap your head around it it's easy.  Or Just google "4cm helix" and you will find plenty of videos and pics.