Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 500 acoustic model tone

Is there a way to adjust the tone of the acoustic models on the Variax 500? I have noticed they all sound dull and lifeless compared to the results I have had using a piezo transducer on my other guitars. Workbench doesn't seem to have any control over the sound. Am I missing something? Does someone have a raw sample of the acoustics from their Variax 500? Maybe the issue is with mine alone. I am listening with no amp or effects, just direct into my DAW via a Focusrite Solo so the problem isn't from playing through a regular guitar amp.

For acoustic models the Tone knob on the Variax simulates a mic-position parameter. It does not control Bass/Treble like an electric guitar's Tone knob. When you turn the Tone knob with a Variax Acoustic model selected you should hear a varying amount of body/depth/boominess in the tone.

12 minutes ago, silverhead said:

For acoustic models the Tone knob on the Variax simulates a mic-position parameter. It does not control Bass/Treble like an electric guitar's Tone knob. When you turn the Tone knob with a Variax Acoustic model selected you should hear a varying amount of body/depth/boominess in the tone.

That does make some difference for sure, but trying to use the acoustic models in a mix ends up with them just being lost still. I can correct via EQ etc. I was just thinking they should be brighter to start with. Maybe I am assuming the real guitars would be brighter than they really are. I don't own an acoustic to know what to expect.

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

I find I get best results with acoustic models if I do not use an amp/cab/mic in the preset. I just use some light compression, a studio preamp, , EQ to taste, and a little reverb with optionally some chorus and delay.

I think part of my problem is that I spent a lot of time before I got the Variax, trying to get my idea of the sound of an acoustic, either by EQ and effects on a regular electric guitar, or by adding piezo transducers to regular electric guitars and combining with the regular magnetic pickups in one way or another. Now I have the Variax the modeled sound is far duller than I am used to. It is probably just down to my perception. I don't ever use any amp/cab/mic in the presets.

21 hours ago, thecameralens said:

I can correct via EQ etc. I was just thinking they should be brighter to start with. Maybe I am assuming the real guitars would be brighter than they really are. I don't own an acoustic to know what to expect.

The Variax already sounds like a "mic'ed up acoustic"... it should sound very realistic in a full range setup with a flat EQ! Just tweak a little to taste. I've never had to drastically alter EQ on the acoustics just a little cut/boost here or there usually does it. 

They are however, a full body sound... so if you are used to some jingle in the top end you will have to lower some lows and add some highs... but that's the same with a nicely mic'ed up acoustic! That enhanced high end you hear on many pop/rock/country recordings is not the natural sound of an acoustic - you use EQ to get that sizzle - but just a little extra highs and a little less lows will get you there.

23 hours ago, silverhead said:

For acoustic models the Tone knob on the Variax simulates a mic-position parameter.

^^^ This ^^^

I don't know if my description is accurate or not... but I find the tone UP it is similar to putting a mic at the 12th fret (tighter sound), while turning the tone down is closer to pointing a mic at the sound hole (boomier). 

• Like 1

That makes total sense. You are right, I have been trying to get a more trebley sound in my experimentation with the sound prior to the Variax. Because of the high impedance of the piezo transducers I have used the low end has been missing when going into the Focusrite. The Variax is low impedance so I have more low end to start with.

Another thing to note is that most people who use the acoustic models on the variax, say that using heavier gauge strings, and a lighter touch gives you a more realistic sound. I don't use it so much, so don't claim to have any expereience with this either way - it's just what I've read here on the forums. Have you searched for "acoustic" tags on here?

2 hours ago, eenymason said:

Another thing to note is that most people who use the acoustic models on the variax, say that using heavier gauge strings, and a lighter touch gives you a more realistic sound. I don't use it so much, so don't claim to have any expereience with this either way - it's just what I've read here on the forums. Have you searched for "acoustic" tags on here?

A lighter touch definitely makes a difference, but I think I have found the problem. Compared to my other guitars I realized I was playing closer to the neck. I moved closer to the bridge and things sound much better. I think the lack of pickups is throwing me off as far as a reference point.

I play solo gigs using an acoustic guitar (Yairi Alvarez with B-Band pickup) and a Variax acoustic. I use the Variax for slide guitar stuff and special/open tunings, or for songs where I need more of an electric sound with effects. I never use the Variax over the Yairi for an normally-tuned acoustic guitar song, and I never use it over an acoustic in the studio. It's good, but it just doesn't have the richness and sparkle of the real thing. However, its really versatile for a lot of material and I'm glad I own one. Faves are the Parlor, 000, D-28, and J-45.

• Like 1