Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Yaya Effect

zivdud

Now that we have a filter/vocoder type of effect I have been trying to recreate an effect that I have on my digitech pedals but I am having some difficulty. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a similar sound from Helix? Would great to just use the one pedal. Thanks!

On 4/29/2018 at 4:48 PM, zivdud said:

Now that we have a filter/vocoder type of effect I have been trying to recreate an effect that I have on my digitech pedals but I am having some difficulty. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a similar sound from Helix? Would great to just use the one pedal. Thanks!

You can control either only one or both of the 'Start' and 'End' vowels on the Legacy--> Vocoder effect by assigning their parameters to a single expression pedal.

1. Select the Vocoder block and assign the 'Start' or both the 'Start' and 'End' parameters to the same expression pedal(I used EXP 1) by right clicking on the parameter value in the Editor. As you might or might not expect these are the parameters that select which vowel sound the effects starts and ends with. 
  2. If you have assigned both the 'Start' and 'End' parameters you will want to hit the "BYPASS/CONTROLLER ASSIGN" tab, select one of your parameters('Start' or 'End') from the list of assignments on the left part of your screen and then reverse the positions for the sliders on 'Min End' and 'Max End'. If you only assigned one of the parameters, 'Start' or 'End' to the expression pedal you can either ignore this step or set the 'Min End' and 'Max End' to limit which vowel combinations will be available when you move the pedal.

For those who have assigned both the Start and End vowel sounds to the expression pedal, Step #2 is will reverse the Start and End vowel lists so they don't match up when you move the pedal. This will allow you to invoke different combinations of vowels for your Start and End vowels as you change pedal position. Otherwise if you are assigning both the 'Start' and 'End' parameters, without reversing the position of the 'Min End' and 'Max End' settings for one of the parameters assigned to the expression pedal, the vowels will match up exactly when you move the pedal, e.g. the 'Start' and 'End' vowels will be both be "a" or both be "i" etc., and you won't get a proper shift from one vowel sound to the other.

Another issue is that even once you reverse the pedal travel for one of the vowel lists there is a single point in the pedals travel where the vowel lists for the start and end match up as they cross. You could avoid this by either assigning only for example the 'Start' parameter to the pedal and limiting the 'Min End' and 'Max End' or perhaps by playing around with the 'Min End' and 'Max End' settings  so they don't ever show the same vowel sound . Anyway, this explanation probably looks like gibberish until you jump into the Editor and dial this up. Makes sense then.

This has nothing to do with the above expression pedal setup and could be pilot error but some of the vowel sound combinations in this effect don't seem to operate properly and the overall tone was a bit muted and not as clearly articulated as some other vocoder effects I have used.Some vowel combinations did sound quite good however. One thing I did find that helped considerably was placing the Vocoder after the amplifier/cab block. Placements earlier in my signal chain did not sound as good. Adjusting the 'Speed' parameter in the right combination with the 'Auto 1-4' parameter definitely helped enormously as well. If anybody has some tips on how to best use this effect please post 'em up.

Thanks for all that helpful information. When I get sometime I will give that a shot and see how it works. As for the placement: I learned that experiment running my digitech rp360xp into one of my fx loops and placing behind the speaker model seems to sound the best to me too. Will let you know if I get it figured out or not.