Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects 4 cable method with single effect pedals.

medieval21

Hello all.I want to use HX in my pedalboard together with some pedals i like (distortions,chorus,flanger) and also be able to use my amps distortion through the 4cable method.Which is the best way to connect the single pedals?Guitar straight to first pedal then last pedal to HX input and from there 4c method?Guitar to HX input all the single pedals to HX 1st loop and use 2nd HX loop for 4c method or a combination of the forementioned (some pedals straight to guitar e.g distortions and some in HX loop e.g time based effects) ?

There is no right or wrong here... You seem to have a grasp of all your options, I would suggest you just organize the pedals the way you want them and see how it works. 

If it were me... I might try placing the outboard pedals in Loop 1 with the 4CM to keep the DA/AD conversions to a minimum and to keep Loop 2 open for other options. 

EG: Loop 1 send > Overdrives > amp in > amp send > modulations > Loop 1 return.

NOTE: that option is dependent on your amps "send/return" levels. Your overdrives will definitely work going into the amp, but you may need to return directly to the HX then put the mods in LOOP 2. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

There is no right or wrong here... You seem to have a grasp of all your options, I would suggest you just organize the pedals the way you want them and see how it works. 

If it were me... I might try placing the outboard pedals in Loop 1 with the 4CM to keep the DA/AD conversions to a minimum and to keep Loop 2 open for other options. 

EG: Loop 1 send > Overdrives > amp in > amp send > modulations > Loop 1 return.

NOTE: that option is dependent on your amps "send/return" levels. Your overdrives will definitely work going into the amp, but you may need to return directly to the HX then put the mods in LOOP 2. 

Thanks for the answer!My amp's loop is line level and not all of my modulation pedals support it so i use them in front after the distortions.i only use delay and reverb which support line level in the loop.in this ocassion i guess i should connect instrument level pedals alone in HX loop and rest pedals together with preamp in the other loop with 4c method?

IMO... as I said earlier, you've got a good handle on how it all works. I suggest you hook things up the way you want and see how it sounds. There may be one or two things that don't respond as you expect... but that normal. Just more them around until they sound good - LOL!