Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 question about 1.81 update contents.

Hi,

My JTV-69 is from May 2011, one of the first batches in The Netherlands. During the years I did some updates of the flash memory.

At this moment it is version 2.22. My question is: does this automatically mean that I previously updated to 1.81 (the free version for JTV users). I cannot remember whether I upgraded to that one, so another question is can this be checked with the Variax Workbench?

Thanks

Jan

There is no version 1.18 Flash for JTV's, do you mean v1.81?

Stay away from the v1.8x Flash versions, they work fine, but there can

be problems updating from it.

Version notes are at the bottom of the update window in Monkey when you select a Flash version.

• Johan_de_Greyze changed the title to JTV-69 question about 1.81 update contents.

Thanks yes that is correct my mistake, I have changed it.

v1.8 contains new improved acoustic guitar models. I want to know if these are lost by doing later updates. My JTV is an oldie and I have read that updating to v2 does not work very well, but I have v2.2. now according to the Monkey.

Jan

There is a prompt during the update, asking if you want to save patches to the

updated version of Flash.

Version 2.00 and beyond works fine, it's updating from v1.8x that is a problem.

And unless you have had serviced and had a main board replaced,  you will have one of

the earlier version main boards, so that can complicate thins further with updates to and from v1.8x.

4 hours ago, Johan_de_Greyze said:

Thanks,

Do you know if there are release notes of these updates that show what is updated in which version?

Jan

Well that's what the release notes are...it tells you what changes were made.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:17 AM, psarkissian said:

There is no version 1.18 Flash for JTV's, do you mean v1.81?

Stay away from the v1.8x Flash versions, they work fine, but there can

be problems updating from it.

--> Version notes are at the bottom of the update window in Monkey when you select a Flash version.

All Firmware versions are cumulative - so the improved acoustics in 1.8 are present in 2.2. Some people don't like the improved electrics in 2.0 so stick with older versions of the firmware (which you can install if you copy the files to local disk), but what you will lose with that is the advanced integration with units such as Helix

Thank you, now that is the answer I was looking for. It means I do not have to go back to an older version. My present version is 2.2. and it says:

This item is up to date.

This firmware is the factory firmware for Shuriken Variax.
The f/w adds support for the variax brand. Users of JTV and Variax standard guitars will see not difference in functionality other than version number.
Please note, if you reflash Variax Shuriken and select "No" when monkey prompts you to select whether to retain patches or not you will need to manually reload the Shuriken factory patch bundle bundle via Workbench HD. See the Shuriken manually for detailed instructions.

I cannot remember I had a problem with the update of the flash although this is an early one.

Thank you all for your contributions. 

Below you see how my May 2011 JTV (CAR) looks now after an upgrade of the neck last year. The decal shows the name of my band, the Variax logo and the text: "body JTV-69 MIK" followed by the serial number and the brand of the neck (Vox Humana, The Netherlans). The neck sizes, etc. are a copy of a Fender I have, but the tuners are still original.

Thanks

Jan

nieuwe_hals_variax.jpg