Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Laney LFR-112

RRMark

I'm guessing we may be seeing more and more of this type of powered flat response cabinet over the next couple of years as the popularity modeling systems grows.  Looks fairly similar to the Line6 Powercab setup but probably with different options and such.  Not a whole lot of info here to base anything about it's performance characteristics on, but I would guess the internals are likely to be similar to the Powercab.

Laney is based in the heart of the Black Country in the UK - where the Industrial Revolution got going (hence the name) and arguably the beating heart of heavy metal for many years - not very far from where I lived until I was in my 20s.  I don't often see someone on video with my regional accent :-)

If they sound good, I can see these in my future.  I really like the way the cab handles are inset into the cab carcass.

The IRT-X is definitely what I would be getting if I had an HX Effects.  On my Helix I like putting the "wet" effects after the cab/IR block and the IRT-X seems to allow the same thing if you have a traditional amp.  If I understand correctly, I would run Guitar -> HX Effects -> [tone shaping blocks] -> Send to Preamp -> Amp Speaker Out -> IRT-X Load -> IRT-X effects send -> HX Return -> [cab/IR block] -> [wet effects blocks] -> HX Send to IRT-X effects return.  This is still basically a 4CM if you don't count the speaker cable between the power amp and the IRT-X.

But I have the Helix so I've been waiting to see how much the LFR-112 will cost compared to the Line 6 PowerCab.

Its good to see the FRFR market develop and hopefully it will result in lower prices.  There really has been a step-change in the quality and availability of modellers that has opened the market up to more mainstream speaker manufacturers - Axe FX and Kemper could only really sustain niche players on their own, but with Boss, Headrush and Line 6 now in the ring with sub $1k products, many PA manufacturers will be looking at their products and thinking how they might repurpose them, and guitar amp brands will will want their hats in this particular ring.

Personally I can't decide if I want 2x 1x12 like this, or a 2x12 (or a 2x10) stereo cab.  Decisions!