Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

This is purely a curiosity post, so remove if it is not thought to be relevant.

I was wondering out of all the Variax users here, what the main genres of music are that you use your Variax for? Most of what you see online is either blues or metal, but are there others that are well represented? Also what playing levels are Variax users at?

I myself would classify the music I make as Chillout or Ambient depending on the track, think Tangerine Dream or similar. I am by no means a guitarist, and can play enough to fit in with my musical style and needs. The Variax is a perfect solution for me as I can get a wide variety of tones that make up for the lack of playing ability.

The Variax is a specialized product.... but it is certainly used at the PRO level if that is part of what you are asking. John McFee (Doobie Brothers), Corey Churko (Shania Twain/Kelly Clarkson, Steve Howe (Yes),  Richie Castellano (Blue Oyster Cult) all use a Variax as part of there regular setup. Right there is a diverse set of usage. 

• Like 1

Sorry about the silly ending to my post. I was trying to explain how I use the Variax but it read more like a biography so I gave up. I'll try again today. 

I'm a part time professional. I don't do it full time anymore, but I still hit the road a few times a year and try to keep busy around town with multiple gigs and studio work. Since the mid 80's I've been locked in the country scene, but I play rock and pop gigs as well. I was a child of the late 70's punk scene so nothing scares me :) 

I bought a used Variax 300 about 8 years ago to test the waters. I loved the tonal capabilities, but the neck on the 300 didn't do it for me so I replaced that with a tele neck. For the most part I use it in specialty situations. I may pick it up for 1 song, I may pick it up for 10 - it depends on the show. When I need to bounce between banjo, acoustic and electric song to song, or even within a song I will play the Variax. When I can see a long list of electric songs coming up I tend to grab one of my primary guitars. I may prefer my other guitars, but I don't think twice about playing my Variax. 

I hook mind up through my HD500 with a VDI cable. This allows me to change patches on the Variax by simply programming it into my HD patches. I can go from a banjo to an ripping lead solo with one push of a button. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that. It is always good to hear how other people use equipment I use too. I purely play music for my own enjoyment and always go directly into my PC via the Focusrite Solo, I then add effects etc. in my DAW (Mixcraft). I only recently started playing guitar and am really happy with how the Variax works for me.

• Like 1