Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean Boost Options

oehman

I've been trying to find some solutions to creating a clean boost. I'd like to have footswitch assigned that I can kick on for the moments playing live when I realize I need just a little extra volume or solo boost.

So far I've worked with:

Screamer with drive at zero and output at about 75% (too much drive added, not clean enough)

Parametric EQ with EQ untouched, output to 81

Boost Comp with comp at zero output at 85

The last 2 options are ok, but not really transparent.

Anyone found better options? Either before the amp block or after? Any settings you can share?

I've read about using the FX loop and a short cable, but I am using the send to feed the PA for my Variax acoustics, so that's not an option I want to work with.

I use the expression pedal for that. Put a volume pedal after the amp set min ~ 75 max  ~95%  For some reason going to 100% in my patches sound a bit too brittle. You can also assign the expression pedal to do all sorts of other things.. Amp eq, gain, delay mix, just about any paramater can be adjusted. You can still use the toe switch and the other expression channel for the wha it will be at your lead volume. I gave up on the hd wha's and use my own.  If you must have a switch there is a diy box I've seen that uses the 2nd expression input that would allow you toggle between two settings.

• Upvote 1

I just spent 5 minutes looking for an old thread that covered this (with my input), but the search facility here doesn't seem to go back very far. Google does though...

http://uk.line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/64525

... briefly - I use a Studio EQ at the front of the chain, with only the gain changed (+5 or 6dB).

• Upvote 1

The above suggestions are good.

The "Boost comp" pedal (which is designed to simulate an MXR microboost I think) is pretty crap....volume boost is minimal with gain all the way down so to get a good boost I've had to raise the gain which adds too much OD and colours the tone.

I use the expression pedal for that. Put a volume pedal after the amp set min ~ 75 max  ~95%  For some reason going to 100% in my patches sound a bit too brittle. You can also assign the expression pedal to do all sorts of other things.. Amp eq, gain, delay mix, just about any paramater can be adjusted. You can still use the toe switch and the other expression channel for the wha it will be at your lead volume. I gave up on the hd wha's and use my own.  If you must have a switch there is a diy box I've seen that uses the 2nd expression input that would allow you toggle between two settings.

So you normally have your exp pedal down (or in the heel position) and for a boost then you toe it?  Kool idea.

I think the cleanest, most transparent, and highest boost you can get is using a Mid Focus EQ (+24dB max).

For every 10% you get about +2.4dB, i.e., +12dB at 50%.

Use HP Freq 0%, HP Q 55%, LP Freq 100%, LP Q 55%, Gain 0% for clean pass through

But watch the resulting output level. Measure if you can (e.g., with USB and a DAW meter).

You will get soft compression starting at -12dBFS and distortion if you approach -3dBFS or higher.

It is generally a good idea to keep input and output levels between HD500 models below -9dbFS to avoid unintended distortion.

If you want a high clean output level, put the mixer at the end and you use its gain (+12dB) for clean boost above -12dBFS.

Obviously, the volume pedal is a better choice if you need to adjust on the fly.

So you normally have your exp pedal down (or in the heel position) and for a boost then you toe it?  Kool idea.

Yeah the heel is down toe up normally then I just put the toe down to give me a boost. I usally have it controlling some drive and more delay for leads. Depends on my patch.

• Upvote 1

I Prefer Studio EQ in front of the amp with 2 extra decibels (at 7) not at the end of the chain. At the end of the chain it seems to take some of the amp feel or character with it.  

Interesting.  I'll have to try it.  Doesn't change the amp's gain turning it on in front of the amp?

I can't say whether this applies to DeanDinosaurs use case, but the Studio EQ seemed to stay very clean and tone neutral on any dialed in gain level I ever used, except when its input or output level exceeds -12dBFS. Initially the Studio EQ just soft compresses a little but at around -6 to -3 dBFS and higher you will hear serious distortion creeping in. I suspect that Dean's experience with the Studio EQ after the Amp may have been at higher signal levels.

Another thing with the Studio EQ is that it claims to add gain in 0.1dB units. Don't be fooled by the precision of the dial. It may be 2dB off from what you dialed in in the -9dB and +9dB ranges. ... and if your input or output is above -12dBFS it won't give you the dialed in gain either. The higher you go above the -12dBFS the less you will get even though you think you added clean gain.

If you're just after a little clean boost both the Studio EQ and the Mid Focus EQ will do. Both of them don't stay clean if your input or output is above the -12dBFS signal level.

Not sure about your reference to amp's gain. If you refer to Drive, boosting your input signal before the Amp does something very similar, but while the EQ's can provide a clean boost, the Amp model's gain via Drive will be colored to match the real Amp's Volume or similarly named dial. Don't get confused by the Amp's Channel Volume dial name. This thing does not model the Amp but is simply a clean AMP model output level adjust dial. Unless the Amp's output signal is above -12dFS (yes the magic -12dBFS is back) channel volume can be used to adjust the Amp's output signal by 60dB. If you half any Channel Volume % you get approximately 12dB less output, e.g., if you start with -24dBFS at 50% you can get -12dBFS at 100%.

Just been saying in another thread, not sure whether either of these will work but try these, 

Put a volume pedal in your patch, set it to min 50%, but so you can increase it to max 100% with the pedal fully down, set your patch how you want level wise etc.. with the volume pedal at 50%, if its still too qieut go to the mixer and increase both the left/right hand sides (make sure both are panned centrally too), just increase the volume for boost.

Do a dual amp patch, make sure mixer both left and right are panned centrally,

pick the same amp twice, same settings etc... but have one louder than the other,

assign the pedal so you can fade in from the one amp to the other, or even so you have both amps at once

• Upvote 1