Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD 500 X as a pedal board

Cobra1712

Hello all,

i originally bought the hd500x for use with my deville 410 amp as a super clean base. I was able to find a few patches I liked, but recently I bought a bassbreaker 15 and fell in love with it.  It has the great tube drive I always liked when my deville was on 10 but didn’t want to go deaf.  

Long story short plugged my pod my pod into the bassbreaker and it just takes away everything I liked about the amp.  I’ve tried with no modeling into the input of the amp with it set up for a combo yet still not a true sound of the amp.

any tips for setting up the pod as a stomp box emulator with as limited effect on the signal as possible?

I use my HD as "effect only" all the time... I find it very transparent all long as I keep the gain structure in order. 

Just a few things to watch for....

1: Make sure all amp/cab/mic modeling is off

2: Set the output mode is set to "Direct/Studio" (or whatever it is called)

3: Turn your Global EQ  OFF! It will only get in the way unless you have a particular need for it

4: Watch your gain structure. Effects ON/Off/BYPASSED should all be in the same ballpark. 

5: Set your output (switch on the top of the unit) is set to AMP

Good luck... 

Don't forget to park the Input Z setting at 10M....The default is AUTO and which will change the input impedance based on the first item in the chain...So when you have a Weeper wah first, it will suck the tone out just like the real Cry Baby does.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

Don't forget to park the Input Z setting at 10M....The default is AUTO and which will change the input impedance based on the first item in the chain...So when you have a Weeper wah first, it will suck the tone out just like the real Cry Baby does.

I thought about mentioning the Input Z... but I didn't bother because I thought the default was 10M. 

Your're right, the default is auto making this is a very important step... thanks for the heads up. 

Makes me realize I know very little about this processor.  Thanks for the tips, I’m gonna go home and sit down with the manual and try to figure out how to do what you suggested lol

im really trying to avoid going back to analog pedals for the second time lol, I did this before with a Digitech gsp 2112 and ended up selling it for analog pedals and don’t want that to happen again until I’ve really given it a good try.

Low Impedance is actually really handy for Strats & Teles...Or any guitar that has a lot of ice pick in it...darkens it up some...It's basically a Low Pass Filter of sorts...It's useful in some cases...

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but the BASSBREAKER 15 has an effects loop (Send/Return in the back) you could probably try to use the 4 cable method. I use it all the time.

Place your FX LOOP block in the middle of the chain, put your OD/DIST before it and Delay/Rerverb after it and your good to go.

• Upvote 1