Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit 2.52 - Backup Failure

jwlehman1

Just received my HX Effects and wanted to backup the factory presets before I start experimenting, but I receive a HX Edit error dialog (screen capture attached) "Unexpected or bad data type in preset. (code -8606).  I am using Win 10, and have my HX Effects firmware update to 2.54.  Did a screen capture of the error dialog box and attached it to this post.

HX Edit Error.png

Try doing a factory reset.m if you haven’t already. Hold down the two footswitches in the lower right hand corner (Tap and the one to the left of it) while powering up. Then try creating the backup.

• Upvote 1

Hx edit is not ready for prime time. Not really sure why they even released it when it doesn't work right. It works to load IR's but that's about it as far as I can tell. Hopefully a full version comes soon. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, daveg62 said:

Hx edit is not ready for prime time. Not really sure why they even released it when it doesn't work right. It works to load IR's but that's about it as far as I can tell. Hopefully a full version comes soon. 

Ya know now that you mention it,  I coulda have sworn I've heard this all before... 

21 hours ago, jwlehman1 said:

Just received my HX Effects and wanted to backup the factory presets before I start experimenting, but I receive a HX Edit error dialog (screen capture attached) "Unexpected or bad data type in preset. (code -8606).  I am using Win 10, and have my HX Effects firmware update to 2.54.  Did a screen capture of the error dialog box and attached it to this post.

HX Edit Error.png

You say you are on version 2.54 of the firmware. What version of the Editor are you using? You should be using HX Edit 2.52.

You probably want to try phil_m's reset fix in the post above before attempting the procedure below.

If it is not a versioning or a reset issue then you may have a bad preset. Try exporting each setlist and try to narrow things down to which one is failing. Then you can export your individual presets in bulk by highlighting half of them and hitting 'Export'. If the export fails you know which half of the setlist has the problem. If it doesn't fail try the other half. Rinse and repeat halving the number of presets each time you export until you get down to the one preset that is causing the problems. Then delete or modify it. It sounds laborious but it doesn't take that long.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, daveg62 said:

They released it and told us it was a limited version... then they told us they would do a full release late in the 2nd quarter.  This gives them until Jun 21st to deliver. Before I bought my HX Effects I did my homework and knew all of this.

I can't speak for everyone, but I am glad they released a limited version so I could load IR's and backup my HX. Those are the two things I cannot do from the HX itself, so IMO - those are the two most important things to deliver quickly, and L6 did! Beyond that, the editor will just be a graphical version of the HX itself. Although that will make it easier for "some people" to program the HX, it is not a necessity for the HX to operate. 

As for the OP's problem... I think the suggestion by phil_m is the best route to try. 

I had the same problem.  After a couple of go-rounds with Line6 tech support, the conclusion was that I had corrupt presets (specifically, all of the existing factory presets) and needed a reset.  I fixed it by resetting only the presets, and didn't lose any of my own presets or anything else.
  1. Save the presets that you've made by exporting them individually using the HxEdit.
  2. (optionally) copy them to a high bank in the HX effects.  I think, though I'm not certain (somebody please confirm) that resetting the presets doesn't mess with effects in higher banks than are occupied by the factory resets.  I don't remember for sure, but I think that after the reset banks 1-10 (11? 12?) were occupied with factory presets.  So, if you put your own presets in banks >= 15, they should survive the preset.  Either this or step 1 should be sufficient, you shouldn't need both, but why take a chance?
  3. Do a Preset Only reset, by holding down FS5+FS6 while powering on the unit. (Documented in https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helixltfx-reset-procedures-and-troubleshooting-tricks-r768/). This will not affect your global settings, nor IRs.  I'm think, though I'm not certain, that it won't affect upper preset banks.
That's it.  If your presets are still there in the upper banks, you're done.  If not, you've exported them so you can simply reimport them.  After I did this I had more and better factory presets, and the backup function in HxEdit works fine.

On 5/2/2018 at 8:32 AM, codamedia said:

They released it and told us it was a limited version... then they told us they would do a full release late in the 2nd quarter.  This gives them until Jun 21st to deliver.

Sorry if this is dense - but by this you mean the full PC editing solution Helix users enjoy and which was soft sold to me as included in about 95,000 pre-purchase review videos I watched? How confident are you of this - as I' haven't come across those claims yet....?

I had the same thing on my LT- it was 3 bad presets. Since I only had 9 new ones it was easy, a variation of the steps above; I exported them one at a time and sure enough, the 3 bad ones wouldn't export. I cleared all blocks in each one then copied them from a good one, renaming them as before. I don't know what was wrong but it doesn't matter, it works for now. *

* I didn't do a factory reset, etc. but realize the importance of doing it if anything else happens.

Thank you so much!

On 5/6/2018 at 11:28 AM, lazlonger said:

Sorry if this is dense - but by this you mean the full PC editing solution Helix users enjoy and which was soft sold to me as included in about 95,000 pre-purchase review videos I watched? How confident are you of this - as I' haven't come across those claims yet....?

Before I purchased the HX Effects I read the official FAQ's on this page... which is a formal L6 statement, not user forums.

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/hx-effects-faq-r883/

Near the bottom of those FAQ's is this Q&A.

Is there a Mac/PC editor?
The same HX Edit application works with Helix, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, and HX Effects, but when HX Effects is connected, it appears as just a librarian and IR loader for now. Just update it to version 2.50. We expect to update HX Edit with full editing capabilities for HX Effects later this spring.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I solved this issue by downloading the latest HX Edit software which matches the device software. For example, If I'm using 2.60 on my Helix, then the HX Edit software must be the 2.60 version as well. 

Hope it helps! :)

albertorosadomusic.com 

• 11 months later...
10 hours ago, gbattag said:

the problem for me is an IR corrupted which is impossible to delete in any way and doesn't allow backup

Have you tried just loading another IR on top of the corrupt one? If you find yourself having to resort to the brute force method you can do a global reset to clear the IRs but it will clear your user setlists and require you to restore them afterwards so only do it if you have a set of older backups you can live with.

Reset Options (from Helixhelp.com)

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination Description
2 LED light Fun
3 & 4 Test Mode
5 & 6 Global reset
7 & 8 Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs
8 & 9 Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs
9 & 10 Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs
10 & 11 Upgrades existing presets to latest format
11 & 12 Clear current preset
5 & 12 Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default
6 & 12 Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

Helix Rack

Since the rack doesn’t have footswitches, you’ll instead hold down a combination of the 6 encoders that are below the main LCD screen as you’re booting up.

ENC2 & ENC3 Reset globals
ENC3 & ENC4 Restore stock presets and setlists
ENC4 & ENC5 Restore stock presets, setlists, and IRs
ENC5 & ENC6 Reset globals and restore presets, setlists, and IRs (entire factory restore)
ENC1 & ENC3 Rebuild all presets
ENC1 & ENC5 Clear all presets, setlists, and IRs
ENC1 & ENC6 Will enter Update Mode (This feature is only available on firmware v1.06.5 and higher)

HX Effects

Holding FS3 + MODE Will clear all Presets and IRs
Holding FS4+FS5 Will reset Global Settings
Holding FS5+FS6 Will reset Presets only
Holding FS6+TAP Will Perform factory restore (reset, Globals, IRs, and Presets)
Holding the right arrow ">" Will put the unit in a fail safe update mode. Use this when the HX Effects is in an un-recoverable state

HX Stomp

All 3 Footswitches Clears all presets/IRs
FS1+2 Resets presets and IRs
FS 2+3 Factory restore (globals, presets, IRs)