Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Guy with POD HD Pro X. Need some pointers

diverdownski

Aside from that... 

Know what the unit is and what it is not. And know what you intend on doing with it. 

Meaning, if you are going to never use an amp - never use an amp. If you are going to always use an amp, always use an amp. It is not as simple as "sometimes I am not going to want to take an amp, so I will just turn the modeling on and off as needed"

See, then, once you have the mindset, you can start to steer your settings and patches. 

the manuals contain great (deep) information....read the Quick Start, then the Advanced Guide, then read about the HD Edit software and then download it. Only then get on some videos. As pianoguyy said the processes apply the entire series minus some small things.

19 hours ago, diverdownski said:

Looking for a video or some help just getting started with my Pro X.  I'm a pedal guy for years and now this....and it hurts my brain a bit!   Any advise as to getting started is greatly appreciated!!

Sean

How are you using it?  Are you just replacing your pedals, or are you using the amp and cab models too?

• 3 months later...

Also new guy here.  The Pro X is like having about 100 stomp boxes and dozens of amplifers.  If you try to take them all in at once, you'll go nutz.  My suggestion:  

1) Get the HD Pro X Edit software

2) Walk through the set lists, try the sounds.  Don't do too many at once, your ears will fade out.

3) When you find a sound you like (for whatever reason: good tone, cool effect, whatever) copy it to the User 1 bank.

4) Once you have several sounds you like, start messing with them (in User 1, that way you don't lose the original): change the effects, change the drive on the amp, tweak it.  

After a while, you'll find which amps & effects you like and which you don't, have some idea how to muck with the sounds, start getting comfortable with bits here & there.

5 hours ago, NoCoolUserName said:

4) Once you have several sounds you like, start messing with them (in User 1, that way you don't lose the original): change the effects, change the drive on the amp, tweak it.  

Well.... 

Every patch you have should have been copied to somewhere. So, really, there is no way you are going to lose anything. 

And, also, as far the factory sounds go, they are available when you install firmware. So, again, they aren't going to be lost. 

*Factory presets have changed over the years. A particular "original" may no longer be available if you install a different firmware.