Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Wah Pedals....suggestions?

themetallikid

Ok, so I've given up on running a foot controller or using the onboard one for wah.  it works fine for 2 weeks then just suddenly will read the max pedal as a % in the 90's (see my other threads with this issue)....I can't stand it anymore.

So....started looking at real wah pedals....couple of questions...

1) Any suggestions?  I play everything from cleanish stuff to high gain, so I prefer something that can handle both.  I prefer a 'thicker' low end sweep, would prefer switchless but it isn't a deal breaker.  I watched several videos last night, some better than the others quality wise....but was really interested in the Kirk Hammet Model (I like the sweep range), Slash Wah (I like the options, the range seems more on the higher end), Mark Tremonti Wah (switchless, and seems good for higher gain stuff, Bad Horsie (similar to Tremonti, but different resonance/sweep) and the Mission Engineering Wah (this seems to hit all the marks for me, except switchless and being $300).

2) how do I route this?  Do I go Guitar > WAH > Helix or is more preferred to go Guitar > Helix > Wah (via) insert loop.  I generally run at the front of the chain with it (nothing crazy routing wise), but I do like having some gain boost in my wah sound, which I've been adding with a gain block prior to the wah block, but some wahs come with this function.  Didn't know if it would be better up front or in a loop somewhere. 

I use a Dunlop 535Q. Very adjustable for whatever sound you want. I'm selling it, and I'll never buy another Dunlop WAH.

After not all that much use, the pedal action got floppy - couldn't leave it in a "cocked" position anymore. I looked for an adjustment, there wasn't any visible way to tighten it. I contacted Dunlop, and they generously offered to repair it for ONLY $75 (half the retail price), plus I pay shipping. I told them that that was outrageous, just tell me how to adjust it. They sent me directions to completely disassemble the unit (not a simple task), so that I could "try" tightening a strip of metal that goes over the axis rod. I could see that just by looking under the pedal, and it was as tight as it was ever going to get. In other words, THERE IS NO WAY TO TIGHTEN IT! I then looked at pictures of EVERY Dunlop WAH, THEY'RE ALL THE SAME! They sell millions of these things. Am I the only one who's ever noticed this flaw? Rant over....

It's going on Craigslist and I'll probably replace it with a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. More expensive, not as wide a tonal range, but an obvious external adjuster for the pedal tension, and interesting buffer options.

I've only ever used the Crybaby before the Helix, never tried it in a loop, because I don't want to be bothered adding a Loop to every preset.

I have probably owned over 10 wah pedals in my life.  Morley, Morley Bad Horsie, multiple dunlop wahs, the 535Q, the Zakk Wylde wah, etc.  I really liked the 535Q because it is super versatile but I ended up setting it like Jerry Cantrell's wah.  I would not buy a Morley again.  They were OK but were not very versatile and broke down easily.

If you want versatility, stick with the Helix.  I use the Mission expression pedal because it has the feel of a wah pedal.  Also, you can order it with a spring so it always goes back to zero.  I don't have the spring setting, but I set my wah to turn on at 1% and I don't have any problems.  Find a wah you like (or an artist who's wah sound you like) and use this chart:  https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/dunlop/wah-pedals/index.php

If you pick the right inductor and frequency range you should be able to get the Helix to sound like whatever you want.

To answer your second question go guitar into wah into Helix.  Don't put it in a loop unless you want to add extra noise into the signal.  I only use the loops after the amp.

I use the Mission expression pedal because it has the feel of a wah pedal.  Also, you can order it with a spring so it always goes back to zero. 

Yep- that would work. That's Zero as in "Heel down", not necessarily "0" setting on Helix (because it drifts a bit especially when 1st powered on). 

Also I use a SP1-L6 Mission pedal with my controller/rack unit, which works well too.