Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi 30 Questions

axlaxeman

Hey Guys,

I used to use an Amplifi FX100, which I sold and moved to a Helix

I find that for concentrated guitar practice, as opposed to creation, I work better with something different and less convoluted, so I'm thinking of getting an Amplifi 30 amp set up in a different room, as a dedicated practice set up.

Before I push the button, I've got a few questions, I'd greatly appreciate someone or many someones with existing Amplifi 30s answering.

With the backing tracks in the app, if you are playing them, do they get recorded via usb if you are connected to a DAW or will only your guitars input be recorded?

The backing tracks in the app say the Key name, but not if they are major or minor... does anyone know, or know how to find out?

Different places on the internet say different things re: the speaker configuration, does anyone know what it actually is? Size, number, response range..

Cheers,

Axl

re recording:

At least with the TT: audio streamed via bluetooth does get recorded, audio passed via the USB-Audio-interface input will not be recorded.

re major/minor. just have a listen. There's not way to see (but there also is no way to individually select tracks, so you download all of a genre anyway)

and re speaker: as it is meant to reproduce full range of the bluetooth/external audio: it is full range - and it is a stereo unit, so two sets of speakers. Not sure about the exact configuration (but I guess stacked to save some space) - why would that matter anyway?

12 hours ago, cloph said:

re recording:

At least with the TT: audio streamed via bluetooth does get recorded, audio passed via the USB-Audio-interface input will not be recorded.

re major/minor. just have a listen. There's not way to see (but there also is no way to individually select tracks, so you download all of a genre anyway)

and re speaker: as it is meant to reproduce full range of the bluetooth/external audio: it is full range - and it is a stereo unit, so two sets of speakers. Not sure about the exact configuration (but I guess stacked to save some space) - why would that matter anyway?

so if I have a jam track playing on my mac and I want to record that plus my guitar, it won't let me?

that was solved for me, by looking a bit further, if they have m they are minor and otherwise Major

it doesn't in terms of my buying it matter, but I want accurate information, and since I have 4 different configs I've come across, all for the 30, I want to know which is right

tbh the only deciding factor is will it do what I want, and it looks like it mostly will.

3 hours ago, axlaxeman said:

so if I have a jam track playing on my mac and I want to record that plus my guitar, it won't let me?

It would be pointless if it would enforce that IMHO.

Either you would import that track into your DAW right away to begin with, or you would route the playback to your DAW as additional inputs and record it that way.

Or if everything else fails you could connect via bluetooth from your Mac and stream the track via bluetooth to have it in the Amplifi's output (but that seems pointless given the other options provide much better transport control and allows you to adjust the mix afterwards/do overdubs/loops,...)

And not sure where you saw 4 different configs, maybe those just miss the little asterisk that say the Amplifi 75 and 150 have that 5way system with a custom Celestion (which the 30 doesn't have)...