Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX Loops really loud even with nothing in send return

bowkore

Whenever I have my FX loop 1 block turned on, I get some buzzing and hissing, I dont even have anything connected to it

It doesnt do it when I have a clean amp on, just my ANGL meteor which from what ive researched can be loud with the FX loop. Anyway to get rid of this?

I already have a gate on for the guitar input

You probably don't want loop blocks turned on when nothing is connected. The amp block will be amplifying whatever low-level noise is coming in that way - which I would have thought would be pretty minimal in most environments, but not zero.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:10 PM, bowkore said:

Whenever I have my FX loop 1 block turned on, I get some buzzing and hissing, I dont even have anything connected to it

An FX loop with nothing connected to it should produce a dead signal (no sound) unless you set the mix control to allow the dry signal through. If you were to patch a short cable between the send and return there should be no difference in the sound when engaged. No added noise, no lost signal, etc... etc... 

On 5/5/2018 at 11:10 PM, bowkore said:

It doesnt do it when I have a clean amp on, just my ANGL meteor which from what ive researched can be loud with the FX loop. Anyway to get rid of this?

I'm confused because this contradicts what you said earlier "I dont even have anything connected to it"

18 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Why waste DSP with an FX loop block if there's nothing in it anyway? And if you're gonna leave the block there with nothing connected, just turn it off.

That's a very logical assessment... I just want to share my past experience with loops.  

A loop with just a small patch cord is a very transparent cut/boost when you adjust the in/out levels... and it uses very little (pretty much zero) DSP power. 

6 minutes ago, codamedia said:

That's a very logical assessment... I just want to share my past experience with loops.  

A loop with just a small patch cord is a very transparent cut/boost when you adjust the in/out levels... and it uses very little (pretty much zero) DSP power. 

Yes, you can do that, but it just seems like a lot of extra work for little, if any benefit. It's just as easy to do the exact same thing that at the output block,  or the amp block's channel volume, with no extra blocks or cables. Different strokes...

I'm going to return to this thread and agree with the OP... something is amiss, at least with mine (I'm not saying everyone).

I've been so busy playing since I got my HX about 6 weeks ago I've never had a chance to really dig into to using the extra sends/returns/loops, but today I have. They are noisy and they should not be! I have never heard this type of noise from my X3, HD500, amp loops, etc... 

Time to troubleshoot and see what I can come up with...

OK - here is what I have found...

In combination with any overdrive, or dynamic (comp) block the RETURNS and LOOPS are adding noise. It doesn't matter what the order is. I use the Teemah! as example only... and I am keeping the overdrive down and volume at unity. On it's own (no return/loop engaged) it is noiseless... just great tone when I play. Turning on the return or loop does not change any volumes (no boost, no cut)... the only difference is added noise.  

I know LINE 6 has a sticky in these forums about some units being noisy... I suspect I may have one of those, as the OP may have as well. 

I'm going to log a ticket with them and see what they think. 

As far back as October 2015, there was a Known Issue in Line 6's Knowledge Base regarding Helix's FX Loops adding noise as a consequence of the A/D/A conversions -- merely by the presence of an FX Block in the signal chain!

At some point in the last year this Knowledgebase Item was Deleted. There is no longer any reference to that item.  

There was also a fairly active thread on these User Support Forums (before they were revamped in the past month or so). I have not checked to see if that thread persists. That thread (or another on the same topic), included a Reply post from Line 6 Tech Support (Will, I think it may have been) confirming the existence of the FX Loop Noise symptom. At no time in any subsequent Firmware Updates has there been any specific mention of a this condition being corrected. It is entirely possible that the problem was reduced or corrected as General Improvements in one of the firmware releases. 

I used the Fourm's Search Tool and cannot find any of those pre-existing threads. Apparently, they have been removed. 

On the LT I have an Xotic EP Boost in one loop & a Boss RC3 in the other. When the EP is on there is noise added. I usually run it about 9-10 o'clock but It doesn't matter what level the pedal is set at. Can't hear it when playing. With the RC3 I don't hear noise but it boosts the signal when I turn the block on, not in a good way. It's like there's to much signal coming through so it will break up  / crack when hitting a chord harder. Also will drop the volume a bit. I was going to try using a TC Ditto b/c it's true-bypass to see if that helps. 

On 5/12/2018 at 9:57 AM, codamedia said:

I know LINE 6 has a sticky in these forums about some units being noisy... I suspect I may have one of those, as the OP may have as well. 

I'm going to log a ticket with them and see what they think. 

L6 replied to say my symptoms are consistent with the problem units and suggested I take it back to my local distributor (I don't live in the US) for a replacement.