Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about S/PDIF and the master

vinny_x3

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if it's necessary to adjust the sound card on "ext", before to record with the S/pdif connection.
Indeed, with a gear like the Torpedo Live, it is recommended to do that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

What do you mean by "EXT"?

Using the Helix S/PDIF OUT to your soundcard (assuming no S/PDIF INPUT LEVEL control) for recording, with the big knob set to MULTI or DIGITAL, if the record level in your DAW is good, then no. If the signal is too high or low then yes. If the signal is too weak with big knob maxxed, you might need to up the patch OUTPUT setting.

Or did I misunderstand the question?

Thanks to help me.

I'm sorry, my english is very bad, but I'm gonna try to better explain my request :
I haven't got problem to record with the s/pdif out, but I wondered if I had to adjust my sound card so that it is the "slave" of the Helix about the clock, because this is very adviced with a Torpedo Live, for exemple.

I hope I'm a little clearer this time ...  :-)

• 10 months later...

I have the same question: Must Helix be the clock master, or can it be the clock slave? I think my RME audio interface shows me that the sync is not stable when Helix is the clock slave, the s/pdif LED is shortly flashing every 2 seconds or so, but I'm not sure.

Sad that noone knows about this.

• 8 months later...

How do I tell Helix that it should be the slave? I don't see anything related to this in the settings or in the manual.

Usually I use Helix as Master and my RME fireface 800 audio interface as slave. Now I wanted to try it the other way round, but the sync is not locked.

38 minutes ago, p8guitar said:

How do I tell Helix that it should be the slave? I don't see anything related to this in the settings or in the manual.

Usually I use Helix as Master and my RME fireface 800 audio interface as slave. Now I wanted to try it the other way round, but the sync is not locked.

Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo>Receive MIDI Clock