Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sans Amp - Anyone Compared It

joel_brown

I occasionally see posts about PODHD and how it compares up to Kemper, Digitech, AXE, Boss and so forth.  I've never seen anyone mention Tech 21 SansAmp PSA.  SANSAmp has been around a very long time and is still selling.  I've never tried one but would like to hear if anyone has tried it and how it compares.  I know it's a pre-amp only and doesn't have effects but demos I've heard of it sound very nice.

I can't get a comparable tone to a PSA. The closest has been with the (I believe, not at the unit) U47 mic (it's the last choice for the 15" cab). That tone gets the most "grindy" in comparison to the other mic choices. The bass amp they have has a great warm/round type of sound. Would be awesome if L6 would release an SVT model in an update, but that's a whole other topic. I know a lot of metal dudes will run a dual amp setup when recording and get more grit with, say, a 6505 rig or comparable. You could try one of the metal amps with a mid focus to concentrate on getting some of those mids to punch through in a parallel setup.