Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No where else to turn to before I return My Helix

leadplayer420

So first to give you a bit of info on me. I have been playing for about 25 years 20 years have been with multi effects units starting with the RP1 (remeber those :-) ) .  Before I bought the Helix I had a GT10 running through 2  Yamaha DSR112's and was in love with the sounds I could achieve. So I thought I would buy a Helix Floor unit and 2 PRX815's and take it a step further, what I got so far is beyond a let down. Almost every clean sound has a bit of distortion to it ( a bad distortion like over driving an input) however I checked and no inputs are being overdriven in the unit or on the cabs. BTW all these bad sounds are coming through both the JBL cabs and the headphones ( I am using a good pair of uncolored studio headphones, just cannot remember the exact model atm). On most all of the distorted patches that come with the unit, and patches I downloaded off the line 6 site that had good reviews I get the same basic issue but now its distortion over distortion and is an ear piercing sound. I have changed the input settings from auto up to to 1M ohm and each setting in-between as well and nothing really helps. As I dont have another Helix to compare sounds with I am not sure if its a bad unit or if I am just doing something wrong. I have used these types of units for years and am doing nothing different than I have done in the past while achieving decent tones. The global eq is off. I have upgraded the firmware to the newest version, have factory reset the unit a few times. I would GREATLY appreciate any help, I have contacted Line 6 got no help, contacted the store that sold me the unit again no help, and read some of the topics here and could not use any info in those to fix this issue. There is one thing that may give someone an idea of what the problem is. If I turn down my guitars volume by as little as an 1/8 of the way the sounds do clean up a little but not by much. However this could just be because the Helix is doing what it should and is pushing the amp model a bit less therefore the distortion is a bit less, not sure just thought I would add that bit of info. Thanks much in advance I really hope I will be keeping this unit and not going to a lesser Boss GT-1000 in the near future.   

Added a sound file of the US Deluxe NRM amp mod. Its just that amp/cab combo in the patch nothing else. The first part is the amp/cab as the Helix sets it a default. 1st is with my guitar volume up to full/ second is my volume down to about 3/4 of the way. Then I added some drive, but only drive to the amp mod. Turned it up to 8.5. Again I first play with guitar volume at full, then play with volume backed down to 3/4. The sounds I get at 3/4 are for sure alot better but as the volume on the guitar is down I am missing that full tone you get when pushing the amp mod. Any help would be appreaciated. Again I have tried every input setting on the patch from 10K OHM to 1M ohm and nothing really helps, the guitar pad is turned on in global. Also I am using a Jackson Soloist with a Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB in the Bridge position. Excuse the playing its my day off tomorrow and 3 sheets to the wind atm lol

US Deluxe NRM Amp Mod.wma

First question I have is are you playing the Helix through the new PRX815's you were talking about or your old Yamaha DSR112's? A fifteen inch speaker is likely to sound much different and "looser" and more bass heavy than what you are used to with your old 12" speakers. You might want to try your old 12" speakers with the Helix before swapping out the speakers for larger ones. Lot's of people including me prefer 10" or 12" speakers with modelers although 15"s can sound great too if that is your preference and especially if you play bass. I personally think the sound is a bit more tricky to dial in on 15" speakers.

So much that could be going in here it is hard to say where to start.  One of the ways people get more volume out of their amp/cab blocks and still maintain a clean tone is by putting any of the following types of blocks before or after the amp/cab block - gain block, EQ block, compressor block, or an overdrive block like the Kinky Boost or other with the Gain parameter all the way down and the level up to taste. . This will allow you to gain stage the volume without adding dirt. All of those blocks mentioned have level parameters you can kick up a bit to add some punch/volume without distortion. Adding these blocks before the amp block tends to add more punch and, adding them after the amp block adds more volume. Either way you get a clean sound with more kick.

Keep the Drive parameter level on your amp block down for clean sounds and be sure to pick an amplifier that is not intended for high gain tones. Although some of the higher gain models can get surprisingly good clean sounds, something like a 5150 or Bogner is probably not a first choice for most player's clean tones. It helps to experiment with different models though.

You mentioned that you turned something up to "8.5", wasn't sure whether you meant you turned up the Drive or the Master or Ch Vol to 8.5. If you turned the Drive up to 8.5 that would be partly or entirely why you are hearing a dirty sound. Try turning the Drive down until the sound cleans up and boost the amp block's Master and Ch Vol instead. Also be careful with Bass, Mid, and High settings on the amp. Having them cranked up too much on certain models will introduce dirt into a clean tone. Also the 'Sag' control on the amp can clean things up considerably on certain models, try moving it around.

Put a low cut into an EQ block after the cab somewhere between 70-120hz. This will clean up the low end and tighten up the sound. A high cut from 5khz or higher(whatever sounds right to you) usually helps when playing through an FRFR/'PA speaker' as well.

You said you had the pad on and had been experimenting with different impedance settings. I would start with the pad off(unless you have really hot pickups) and the impedance on 'Auto'.  If all else fails you can return to the pad and impedance settings. Trying an alternate guitar might be instructive as well.

There are probably a dozen other things you can try but one other thing to be aware of is that if you are getting grit or distortion when using any of the Delay models that include a "Headroom" parameter you should turn the 'Headroom' setting up as it will clean up the delay sound.

Although I prefer to build my own presets, cycling through the factory presets until you find something that is in the ballpark of what you are looking for and modifying it can be a good place to start if you are finding it difficult to dial in a decent tone from scratch. It may give you a better idea of how you want to construct your own presets.

Also last but not least, every once in a while it turns out someone just has a bad cable or something is not plugged in all the way or incorrectly. Recheck all your connections and try swapping out cables. There are definitely good clean sounds to be found in the Helix.

• Upvote 1

Turn all effects off and record a bit using the helix as an audio interface....not sure if the helix drivers are like the pod drivers and allow recording a completely unprocessed input... if so, start there and see if it distorts...if it doesn’t distort there, try recording the processed input, but with all effects off...if that doesn’t distort start turning on blocks till you find the first block that records distorted. 

To start, if you have been using the Helix for several months or even a year then I may not have anything of value for you, however ...

[My beginnings]

I may have a different take as I started by going direct to PA.  For me it took a lot of trial and error to find what I liked as well as A/B'ing against a few of my favorite amps.  Once I felt comfortable I then used the PA to dial in the sound in a staged sound room.  Once in the live performance I work with the crew to get a final tone check and they are getting rather good at finding what I like wherever we play now.  At that point I only used the floor monitor systems or in-ears to hear what I play and trust the PA mixing crew to make it sound great out front.  I find that my various guitars sound good and I use the volume pots as well as the tone pots for rolling off and on based upon what I am needing in the songs and what passage I am in; that being verse, chorus, bridge, and/or solo based upon the song.  I am sure you are doing the same and want that magical touch response as well as the clean to drive.  I do not know how long you've had your Helix; if only for a month or so then the people in this forum have given some great advise to people like myself when I started out and still have great insight.  I search the forum using key words and adjusting those key words until I find something that could give me insight into what I am looking for.   I also use IRs for cab simulation and have learned about where to cut my highs and lows from the speaker sims of those IRs.

[At this stage]

I now use a path (in my case path 1) direct to PA and then path 2 uses the 4CM to one of my Mesa amps while using a SM57 to mic that beast.  I then A/B both channels until I get the balance I want.  On path 1 I actually have a F/S set to switch between two different amp (not combo nor pre-amp by the way) for several reasons based upon how clean and shimmering I want the amp to be as well as how responsive to touch.  Since I have path 2 in 4CM i do not use any amps or IRs on that path.  And the balance and compliment in tonality is very pleasing to my ears, our sound crew, and apparently others as I keep getting compliments; to the point I am now being called a fine artist instead of a fine guitarist though I am a guitarist, so ... ;-)

[Final thought]

It has taken me some time (gosh ... about 2 years+ at this point) with the Helix as I started with a Floor-Pod Plus just for short recording gigs (off and on for about a year) then went to the HD500X for a minute as the Helix became available to the public 4 weeks after I got the HD500X and Guitar Center made me a sweet deal on the Helix after accepting the HD500X back with no loss of cash on my side.  And I did have good luck with getting my tones down but like everything in my music career I am always looking to improve and not just settle.  I don't have the modeling experience of you and others in this forum and other blogs I have read.  But I have been using "analog" amps (wow that phrase just hurts my brain) since 1967.  Point on that is I do know what I like and how to get the tones out of the "analog" realm with various pedals I have had and/or still have over that time and carry over that ability into the digital modeling side.  I can successfully use the Helix just direct to PA if I want and I do from time to time now.  It was just a huge learning curve but it really was worth the time spent for me.

But that is just me.  Good luck in your decision and whatever that decision is I am sure it will be the right one for you.

Dennis

• Upvote 1

The first thing that jumps out at me is you haven't mentioned anything about how you configured the PRX815 which could potentially be playing into this.  Have you connected up the DSP utility program to see what the settings are on the speaker?  It's possible some configuration in areas such as the parametric EQ that could be causing clipping in conjunction with the inbound signal from the Helix.  Something worth checking at least.

Another thing to check is where you have your Helix master volume knob set.  Most of us probably keep our Helix master around 12 o'clock, but if you followed the terrible advice in the manual and set it at full volume that could be a source of clipping issues depending on the configuration of the PRX815.

My advice at this point is to start very basic and simple and see where that gets you.  Start a new preset with a well known clean amp that's hard to make distort such as the Jazz Rivet 120 and just use the stock amp+cab with global EQ off and your input set to auto and your Helix volume set to 12 o'clock and your PRX815 volume set to 12 o'clock and see if you're getting a perfectly clean sound.  If you have a clean DSP configuration on the PRX815 and are still getting distortion I'd next try and use another guitar with a standard level of output if you have it just to determine if it's coming from the guitar or from the Helix.  If you can dismiss both the speaker output and the guitar input then it's a pretty good chance there's something messed up in the Helix itself.  That type of configuration should be perfectly clean.

Many Customtone patches are set very high and promote clipping.  

A few ideas...

if you use the 1/4 output, try setting it to instrument rather than line

if you use the xlr out, set to mic, not line

set the input pad to ‘on’. 

All the above are in Global Settings

Then, on the patch, add a gain block at the very beginning of the signal chain, set to -10db (at least initially, though it may only need -5db to control the clipping...it all depends on the patch itself)

add another gain block at the end set to -3db.

If you do all this the patch will be quieter but should create no clipping.  

If you get some patches from someone like fremen, he sets them up carefully to avoid clipping.   You can use those as a guide as to how loud a patch might ideally be. 

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised people are immediately jumping to the cabs when the supplied audio file clearly sounds bad, and most likely that was recorded direct rather than him micing up his speaker.

It doesn't sound too dissimilar to my problems with the Helix - too much distortion and it starts to break up in unpleasant ways, but since there is barely anything in the way of metering it's hard to work out whether the problem is at the input or somewhere along the chain.

To the original poster, I'd recommend posting your patch settings here to see if anyone else can reproduce. Those pickups are supposedly somewhat high-output so I expect the pad is necessary, but since you've already engaged that it's hard to see what more can be done, short of adding extra gain blocks that shouldn't really be necessary.

I listened to the file. Awful, never heard anything like that come out of a helix.  First thought was an active guitar with a low battery, second thought was cabling, power quality etc.  Pickup too hot.

Third thought is we are being astroturfed by owners/factory reps from HeadRush, BOSS.  One message like the above can lead to hundreds of new sales for other manufacturers.

55 minutes ago, taylorbeats said:

Third thought is we are being astroturfed by owners/factory reps from HeadRush, BOSS.  One message like the above can lead to hundreds of new sales for other manufacturers.

Normally I'd object to comments like this, but there's something just not quite right at the moment. Too many threads like these.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, line6bbd said:

Normally I'd object to comments like this, but there's something just not quite right at the moment. Too many threads like these

yes, I recall a thread - I on TGP or FB - where a guy fixed with a reset. So I would first back up my patches and then do a reset. For the different options look here:

51 minutes ago, line6bbd said:

Normally I'd object to comments like this, but there's something just not quite right at the moment. Too many threads like these.

Did you guys forget your tinfoil hats today?

I've been a Line 6 user for a decade - Pod XT Live back in 2008, and the Helix Floor unit as of last year. I upgraded from a Boss GT-10 and can't imagine going back to that. The Headrush didn't seem like a good option for my metal-playing ways and I'm not enough of a djent fan to buy an Axe-FX. But, that doesn't mean that the Helix isn't making a godawful mess of certain distortion combinations. I won't be returning my Helix - it works great in 9 out of 10 scenarios for me - but there are some ways in which it just sounds wrong, and hopefully discussing it here will get L6 to look into it and maybe update the firmware.

16 hours ago, pipelineaudio1 said:

Turn all effects off and record a bit using the helix as an audio interface....not sure if the helix drivers are like the pod drivers and allow recording a completely unprocessed input... if so, start there and see if it distorts...if it doesn’t distort there, try recording the processed input, but with all effects off...if that doesn’t distort start turning on blocks till you find the first block that records distorted. 

The recording was recorded straight to PC via USB out. For those who asked about input/output levels I am playing directly into the PRX815's and according to the software for those cabs I am not coming close to over-driving the cab's inputs and the files I uploaded are a direct to usb recording so that file avoids the cabs fully.  Along with this distortion I notice there is alot of tonal character missing from what I hear in others recordings with this unit. I will try adding gain blocks as well. The thing is this is happening with ALOT of patches that came with the Helix, I would say about 1/2 of the patches are sounding horrible find it hard to believe that helix would use default patches that can be over driven with a semi hot hum-bucker but who knows lol. Tried to record another patch for you to hear and I keep getting this weird tuning issue with the unit now. Almost like its changing the recording rate or something from 48k to 41k ect ect very weird,  its doing this constantly thru the usb out now, I included one of the sound files with this update. I still have about 12 days to either return this for another type of unit (really wanted a helix)or return this  to get a different Helix to see if this is a bad unit. Another thing I am noticing is the USB output signal is very low not sure why that is. Thanks very much again for all your time, this is a great community 4 sure!!

Cali IV Ryth.wma

Maybe you have a bad unit? 
I use Duncan JB's in all of my guitars (best pickup ever).  I'm getting great sounds and have other musicians at gigs come up to me and tell me I have the best guitar sound in the P.A. that they've ever heard. 
I'd say take that Helix to the music store you got it from. Plug your guitar in and show them what it sounds like. Then take one of their guitars off the wall and plug it in just to make sure. 
Then take ANOTHER Helix (the display one) at the store and plug into that one and see if it sounds the same. 

My guess is it will turn out to be a bad unit and they will replace it for you.

2 minutes ago, robbieb61 said:

Maybe you have a bad unit? 
I use Duncan JB's in all of my guitars (best pickup ever).  I'm getting great sounds and have other musicians at gigs come up to me and tell me I have the best guitar sound in the P.A. that they've ever heard. 
I'd say take that Helix to the music store you got it from. Plug your guitar in and show them what it sounds like. Then take one of their guitars off the wall and plug it in just to make sure. 
Then take ANOTHER Helix (the display one) at the store and plug into that one and see if it sounds the same. 

My guess is it will turn out to be a bad unit and they will replace it for you.

I so wish I could however I bought the unit from Sweetwater and no local stores stock the Helix upto 100 miles away lol. Maybe I should just return it for another Helix and see what happens. Thx!!

USB output signal is what is expected in many plugins and effects - it is nominally -18dbfs.

I find it a little low, but as it is 24bit resolution it still has 100 times more detail than CD at full scale.

I would just record guitar into a completely empty patch. If that shows distortion then something’s wrong with hardware somewhere. Change guitars and cables, and if it is still happening then it is probably a faulty unit - it does happen and it should be replaced by the retailer.

51 minutes ago, leadplayer420 said:

The recording was recorded straight to PC via USB out. For those who asked about input/output levels I am playing directly into the PRX815's and according to the software for those cabs I am not coming close to over-driving the cab's inputs and the files I uploaded are a direct to usb recording so that file avoids the cabs fully.  Along with this distortion I notice there is alot of tonal character missing from what I hear in others recordings with this unit. I will try adding gain blocks as well. The thing is this is happening with ALOT of patches that came with the Helix, I would say about 1/2 of the patches are sounding horrible find it hard to believe that helix would use default patches that can be over driven with a semi hot hum-bucker but who knows lol. Tried to record another patch for you to hear and I keep getting this weird tuning issue with the unit now. Almost like its changing the recording rate or something from 48k to 41k ect ect very weird,  its doing this constantly thru the usb out now, I included one of the sound files with this update. I still have about 12 days to either return this for another type of unit (really wanted a helix)or return this  to get a different Helix to see if this is a bad unit. Another thing I am noticing is the USB output signal is very low not sure why that is. Thanks very much again for all your time, this is a great community 4 sure!!

Cali IV Ryth.wma

This misses 100% of the entire point of my post. If you actually want to know if there is a functional problem with the input, I outlined the way to do it.

to your observation, I found that all of the firehawk tones I tested went over 0dBFS at the usb input to the computer. Because of the lack of metering on these types of units, I wouldn’t be in any way shape or form surprised if the stock presets on the helix we’re overloading like crazy. 

Thats is why you need to do the tests I outlined if you want to know for sure

21 hours ago, leadplayer420 said:

So first to give you a bit of info on me....

US Deluxe NRM Amp Mod.wma

Start with what you used in the audio clip. What parameters on the US Deluxe NRM amp and cab were you using? What guitar and pickups were you using. It sounds to me that you are using some hot pickups and the drive on the amp model is too high. 

31 minutes ago, pipelineaudio1 said:

This misses 100% of the entire point of my post. If you actually want to know if there is a functional problem with the input, I outlined the way to do it.

to your observation, I found that all of the firehawk tones I tested went over 0dBFS at the usb input to the computer. Because of the lack of metering on these types of units, I wouldn’t be in any way shape or form surprised if the stock presets on the helix we’re overloading like crazy. 

Thats is why you need to do the tests I outlined if you want to know for sure

I will run your tests for sure thanks

33 minutes ago, jbuhajla said:

Start with what you used in the audio clip. What parameters on the US Deluxe NRM amp and cab were you using? What guitar and pickups were you using. It sounds to me that you are using some hot pickups and the drive on the amp model is too high. 

The guitar is a Jackson Soloits with a TB-4 JB Humbucker. The settings on that audio file are the default setting when you drop the US Deluxe NRM Amp/Cab mod into an empty patch. 

I listened to your .wma file and it does not sound like you have a defective Helix although it is too soon and too little to go on to rule that out. To me it sounds like it could well be a problem with the amp block settings. This could just be a problem with the way the preset is configured although something upstream or downstream from the Helix certainly can't be ruled out. I think the quickest way for fellow forum users to help out would be for you to upload the preset you used for that recording. This would at least allow us to assist you in determining if the issue might be with preset design or something else.

4 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

I listened to your .wma file and it does not sound like you have a defective Helix although it is too soon and too little to go on to rule that out. To me it sounds like it could well be a problem with the amp block settings. This could just be a problem with the way the preset is configured although something upstream or downstream from the Helix certainly can't be ruled out. I think the quickest way for fellow forum users to help out would be for you to upload the preset you used for that recording. This would at least allow us to assist you in determining if the issue might be with preset design or something else.

here is the patch just a US Deluxe NRM default amp/cab with a volume pedal control

US Deluxe NRM.hlx

26 minutes ago, leadplayer420 said:

here is the patch just a US Deluxe NRM default amp/cab with a volume pedal control

US Deluxe NRM.hlx

Thanks for uploading. I definitely think the issue is the preset. I get grit and not a good clean sound on it as well and my pickups would not be described as hot although they are humbuckers. You will definitely need to turn the Gain parameter down and either crank the Ch Vol or add some other blocks before the amp to get a hotter but still clean signal going in. That amp model is not very loud and also definitely needs one of the blocks I described above in front of it, e.g. a gain block turned on with at least a 3db boost, an EQ block with the level turned up, a compression block with the level turned up, a distortion block with the Gain parameter turned all the way down and the level up, a Kinky Boost block, etc..  You should experiment with placing some of those supplemental blocks after the amp block as well. These options should get you a clean sound on this preset. 

One thing I noticed is that the volume block you have in front of the amp block is set to EXP 1.  By default the volume block on the Helix is ordinarily assigned to EXP 2 and I would stick with that unless you add additional expression pedals and require an alternate configuration. Even with additional expression pedals it will generally save you some reconfiguration woes to leave it at the EXP 2 default if possible. Especially when you add a wah block. By default the Helix assigns the volume block to EXP 2 and the wah block to EXP 1.

I would try some other amp models that are easier to get higher volume clean sounds on such as the "WhoWatt 100". I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with your Helix or your monitoring setup. This is just a matter of jacking up the levels on this amp model with other blocks while making sure to keep the amp block's Gain parameter down.

Also, I don't know if you mentioned it but which version of the firmware and editor are you on?

4 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Thanks for uploading. I definitely think the issue is the preset. I get grit and not a good clean sound on it as well. You will definitely need to turn the Gain parameter down and crank the Ch Vol. That amp model is not very loud and also definitely needs one of the blocks I described above in front of it, e.g. a gain block turned on with at least a 3db boost, an EQ block with the level turned up, a compression block with the level turned up, a distortion block with the Gain parameter turned all the way down and the level up, a Kinky Boost block, etc..  These options should get you a clean sound on this preset.

One thing I noticed is that the volume block you have in front of the amp block is set to EXP 1.  By default the volume block on the Helix is ordinarily assigned to EXP 2 and I would stick with that unless you add additional expression pedals and require an alternate configuration. Even with additional expression pedals it is good to leave it at the EXP 2 default if possible.

I would try some other amp models that are easier to get higher volume clean sounds on such as the "WhoWatt 100". I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with your Helix or your monitoring setup. This is just a matter of jacking up the levels on this amp model with other blocks while making sure to keep the amp block's Gain parameter down.

my wireless is being delivered from my pracice hall son and I am going to try that inbetween guitar and helix. As for the exp presets I do have a total of 3 expression pedals. The WhoWatt 100 is also distorted if I drop in the default amp/cab combo. I am really hoping its just my guitar overdriving  the unit, the wireless should help with that issue if thats the problem. Not sure at all what the usb output is doing now causing the weird tuning effects thats happening. attached an audio file with this new problem in this post. Will let you all know what happens when I use the wireless, as I know how to pad that for this guitar properly.

Cali IV Ryth.wma

Well, here is a picture of an EMG vs an EMG through a Line 6 Relay G30. To be absolutely accurate, you may or may not hear the clipping, as it follows a pretty decent psychoacoustic model, but it may or may not appear to be absolutely pristine thru the signal chain

wireless.jpg

After having rapidly read through this thread, I did not see any mention of your having reinstalled the firmware and manually performed a Full Factory Reset on the Helix unit you received from Sweetwater. Regardless of the fact that Sweetwater typically updates the firmware on the Helix units they ship, this might have been a point of failure if not performed or completed properly. It is a straightforward process and certainly less troublesome than having to return ship the unit for an exchange (if yours is fine with the exception that it merely needs to have the firmware reloaded). Please excuse of this has already been suggested in the thread. As originally stated, I only speed read through the thread.  

8 hours ago, leadplayer420 said:

I so wish I could however I bought the unit from Sweetwater and no local stores stock the Helix upto 100 miles away lol. Maybe I should just return it for another Helix and see what happens. Thx!!

Do that immediately. I buy most of my gear (including my Helix) from Sweetwater as well. Just write your sales rep and tell him you think you have a defective unit and have them ship you a new one.

24 minutes ago, robbieb61 said:

Do that immediately. I buy most of my gear (including my Helix) from Sweetwater as well. Just write your sales rep and tell him you think you have a defective unit and have them ship you a new one.

I think returning it may be a bit premature. I loaded the preset the OP posted and I got roughly the same results he did. I think the problem could be just with the preset although it is always possible that it could be hardware related as well and due to more than one issue. It might be worth leadplayer420's time to try some of the suggestions for modifying the preset and see if that helps first.

10 hours ago, line6bbd said:

I totally agree with this. There's one new comment a day. Not agressive, but blaming the Helix for fizz/harsh tone.

Some of them may be true but some other are clearly not.

And a lot of "weird" problems to solve

I think line6 should take a look to the IPs. Something weird is going on...  

32 minutes ago, Karis_shem said:

I totally agree with this. There's one new comment a day. Not agressive, but blaming the Helix for fizz/harsh tone.

Some of them may be true but some other are clearly not.

And a lot of "weird" problems to solve

I think line6 should take a look to the IPs. Something weird is going on...  

I know what you mean there have been a lot of fizz and similar threads lately. Although a couple of them may be trolls I think many of the posts are by legit users. I noticed that many of them have one or more registered products. No guarantee there but those tend to be real users as they have provided names and addresses to Line6 and generally don't have the anonymous login that is so often the hallmark of the troll. Certain issues do tend to become themes for a while once the forum "group think" gets a hold of them. People with similar issues or gripes tend to be encouraged to post once they see others with their issue, sometimes a topic started by a legit user and even if the topic gets kicked off by a troll. Tuner, fizz, polyphonic, SP/DIF, etc. are all topics that have trended for a while and then subsided. Some themes no doubt will be reoccurring for the life of the product.

11 hours ago, kylotan said:

Did you guys forget your tinfoil hats today?

I've been a Line 6 user for a decade - Pod XT Live back in 2008, and the Helix Floor unit as of last year. I upgraded from a Boss GT-10 and can't imagine going back to that. The Headrush didn't seem like a good option for my metal-playing ways and I'm not enough of a djent fan to buy an Axe-FX. But, that doesn't mean that the Helix isn't making a godawful mess of certain distortion combinations. I won't be returning my Helix - it works great in 9 out of 10 scenarios for me - but there are some ways in which it just sounds wrong, and hopefully discussing it here will get L6 to look into it and maybe update the firmware.

Read the sticky at the top of the thread entitled 'Why is L6 not responding?' This is a USER FORUM. If you want to talk to L6 then it's support ticket or Ideascale. NOT whinging here.

So if you do post moans here about how your inability to dial in your Helix is somehow a hardware fault, other commenters are justified in treating it as trolling. No tinfoil required.

11 hours ago, leadplayer420 said:

I am really hoping its just my guitar overdriving  the unit

I use the Helix with everything from a JB like you and Duncan Distortions to low-wind boutique PAF clones. All are fine, although if you have your JB or DD bridge right up close to the strings they will sound horrible: screechy in the upper registers and congested when chording. There needs to be some clear air between strings and poles. Don't use 1Mohm input impedance with hot pickups, use Auto.

4 hours ago, line6bbd said:

Read the sticky at the top of the thread entitled 'Why is L6 not responding?' This is a USER FORUM. If you want to talk to L6 then it's support ticket or Ideascale. NOT whinging here.

So if you do post moans here about how your inability to dial in your Helix is somehow a hardware fault, other commenters are justified in treating it as trolling. No tinfoil required.

It used to be quite common for someone from L6 to chime in on issues if they had some insight. Not any more, apparently.

Ideascale is a waste of time. It seems clear it's not factoring highly in L6's development. The top voted idea is 3 years old but is still 'in review', but in the meantime we still get a steady stream of new Marshall clones. Other highly-voted ideas are either being ignored or have actually been implemented without anyone coming back to Ideascale to mark it as such.

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, kylotan said:

It used to be quite common for someone from L6 to chime in on issues if they had some insight. Not any more, apparently.

Perhaps they got fed up with all the moaning and tool-blaming.

45 minutes ago, kylotan said:

Ideascale is a waste of time

Then don't use it. Moaning about it isn't going to change anything except the way other commenters regard you.

14 hours ago, line6bbd said:

Perhaps they got fed up with all the moaning and tool-blaming.

I have a few theories about why the Line6 staff have largely abandoned commenting on the Helix forum in favor of the The Gear Page. One theory is that since they have access to the membership numbers perhaps they determined that their reach is much larger on TGP. The "The Helix Hour" and the podcast have also provided additional outlets for more pre-planned statements. Also their focus has switched to newer products and those under development. Another theory is that there was some kind of Line6 directive that could of come from legal or management or even Line6 support that instructed Line6 employees that they opened the company and themselves up to more legal liability when posting on their own Line6 forum in an "official" capacity.  Strictly speculation on my part, I have no way of knowing ultimately what drove the shift by Line6 staff away from the forum. Could be nothing other than there own personal preference for all I know but it seems like something more. Shame though, I do miss them chiming in relatively frequently as they used to with tips and info that only a Line6 employee would be privy to.

• Upvote 1

So the issue is solved THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH for the input this is a great community. I did a factory reset for the 3rd time and it got rid of alot of the overtones/distortion I was hearing on all he patches, as well as the weird pitch issues on the usb out is gone. I also am now using my wireless which took care of the pickup overdriving the unit a bit ( which it was, I hooked up directly and there is a bit of overdriving there). With these 2 things done its working great, I finally hear what everyone is talking about in these units such detail in the texture's of these mods!!!.  Not sure why a factory reset helped here as I did that 3 times after I upgraded the firmware, but it worked. Again thanks so much for all the input its appreaciated. I think the only thing I am going to do as this point is maybe trade in these PRX815's for a set of EV ETX 10P speakers, I think the 10 inch speakers will give me a better tighter tone. Thx again I look forward to giving back to he community and uploading some patches as I create them.

3 hours ago, leadplayer420 said:

So the issue is solved THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH for the input this is a great community. I did a factory reset for the 3rd time and it got rid of alot of the overtones/distortion I was hearing on all he patches, as well as the weird pitch issues on the usb out is gone. I also am now using my wireless which took care of the pickup overdriving the unit a bit ( which it was, I hooked up directly and there is a bit of overdriving there). With these 2 things done its working great, I finally hear what everyone is talking about in these units such detail in the texture's of these mods!!!.  Not sure why a factory reset helped here as I did that 3 times after I upgraded the firmware, but it worked. Again thanks so much for all the input its appreaciated. I think the only thing I am going to do as this point is maybe trade in these PRX815's for a set of EV ETX 10P speakers, I think the 10 inch speakers will give me a better tighter tone. Thx again I look forward to giving back to he community and uploading some patches as I create them.

Im sure it didnt do anything. I wish i had a nickel for every thread that turned out this way. Repeated factory resets dont miraculously fix helix. Its probably your brain at this point. Much in the way some tones will sound great to you one day and can sound bad another.  Im sure you'll be back to questioning what youre hearing in a couple of days.

I figure if i get 3 good tones out of helix its worth the money. Ive paid more, for less tones. This phenomenon puts me in mind of a bad recording that we may have done earlier in our home recording career. The recording sucks and we know it sucks, but after listening to it a while we think "hey that sounds pretty good".

You'll have good days and bad days with the unit. In most cases, its just the way our brain and ears interact. More good than bad once you really become a confident user.