Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Snapshots (HELP!)

mitchxvx

Ok. I know this might sound dumb, but hear me out.

I'm having serious problems finding any real walkthrough of how to make a snapshot in HX effects that will allow me to have 4 individual settings for a song derived from the same base effects in a preset. I essentially want to "walk through" the 3-4 settings I might have in any given songs seamlessly and without audio gaps. I can't really make sense of how to do it based on the information in the manual. Does anyone have a legitimate video walk through they've referenced to get an idea of how to make snapshots in a way that would enable you to map out an entire setlist with seamless sound transitions? I'm pretty lost, the only snapshot settings I've been able to come up with all sound the same, and have ALL my effects in the preset on at once. Gah!

Thanks!

-Mitch

I think the key for seamless sound is to set the ‘trails’ parameter to ‘on’ in any Delay, Reverb and/or FX loops block. I got that from the manual page 27 (point 2 under “Tips for Creative Snapshot Use”). 

For your other problems I think reading the manual page 25 under “Using Snapshots” would help. I have a Helix LT so I am no expert for the HX Effects. But the principles of both devices are similar. 

If you don’t want to read the manual, I found this vid (its not me in the vid), I think it can be helpful. I think watching only the first 5 and a half minutes might really help. It shows how to have seamless sound, and how to set an effect off (or on) in a snapshot, and how to have other different settings in snapshots. The guy is a bit fast, but pausing the vid and/or viewing parts of it again, could help you I think.

EDIT: I think he is not completely correct in saying that “every time you change someting you have to save it”. It depends on a Global Setting (see page 27 of the manual “Determing Snapshot Edit Behavior”). I don’t have the time now to go into detail about that, but you could set it up that you only have to save just before you go out of the preset. But for starters it is always safe to do as he says and save every time you change something.

It's really easy to over think snapshots :) 

I'd recommend that you open a test patch, switch to snapshot mode, and start experimenting. 

16 hours ago, mitchxvx said:

I'm pretty lost, the only snapshot settings I've been able to come up with all sound the same, and have ALL my effects in the preset on at once. Gah!

By default, when you first create a patch all 4 snapshot locations store the same core settings and they should all sound the same. Then in "snapshot mode" you customize each snapshot as required by turning effects on/off, adjusting parameters, etc...etc.. 

• 1 year later...