Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FBV Express MKII - External Power/POE

Does the FBV ethernet port use the industry standards for POE (Power over Ethernet)? Can I just buy a typical "POE Injector" and use that to power the FBV Express MKII and just use it as a USB midi controller to stand alone devices?

First of all: the FBV don't have ethernet ports. It has nothing to do with ethernet, it just uses the same connector and cable.

So no, you can not POE to power it, that would likely blow some on-board fuse/diodes. (POE is using 48V while FBV uses 8V)

And even if it would: how would that give you usb midi controller capabilites for your stand-alone-device? How would you connect that?

If you plug it in via USB, you're providing power via USB already, no need for additional powersource. 

1 hour ago, cloph said:

So no, you can not POE to power it, that would likely blow some on-board fuse/diodes. (POE is using 48V while FBV uses 8V)

You can get POE injectors at different voltages... I've never been able to find anything on the FBV so if you say it is only 8v, that's all I have to go on. Where did you get that data?

1 hour ago, cloph said:

First of all: the FBV don't have ethernet ports. It has nothing to do with ethernet, it just uses the same connector and cable.

Yes, I know it isn't ethernet as such... but ethernet cables use 4 pins for data, and the other four are usually open. POE uses those other four. When the FBV is powered from the amp does L6 approach it the same... or are they using a completely different configuration of the 8 pins? 

1 hour ago, cloph said:

And even if it would: how would that give you usb midi controller capabilites for your stand-alone-device? How would you connect that?

Since my stand alone devices have USB midi and this the FBV does USB midi I was hoping that might work.

However, as I dig deeper I have learned that the FBV doesn't seem to be class-compliant, therefore it likely won't work :) 

1 hour ago, cloph said:

If you plug it in via USB, you're providing power via USB already, no need for additional powersource. 

Computers often power a USB line, stand alone devices normally don't.