Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar and bass simultaneously

AlexDeLarge

Hello

I am thinking about buying a Helix HX effects and i have some questions that I hope can be answered. 

I play in a two piece band where I play both the guitar and bass simultaneously (kinda like Royal Blood). I split my signal through an a/b box with one signal going to my guitar amp and one signal going to my bass amp, so I can switch one or the other on or off if I need to play a part with guitar only or bass only. In my bass chain I run a Ehx micro pog to drop my guitar one octave down to sound more like a bass.

My guestion is: Is it possible to do the same thing with a Helix HX effects? To run two separate signal chains at the same time to two different amps, each with their own effects? Ex. Clean with reverb and delay going into my guitar amp, and one octave down with fuzz going to the bass amp. And then with the push of one button either switch off the guitar or the bass? 

Hope someone can help me :) 

I don't know bout hx effects, I use a helix floor unit, but am currently running pretty much the same setup you describe no problem, other than the fact that helix only provides monophonic pitch shifting, so still need whammy5 on guitar, and use a pitchfork for the bass. Apparently they're working on polyphonic though! In my humble opinion if you save a bit longer and get the full helix you will not regret!

• Like 1

The helix is not there yet (mono pitch shifting). I ran almost the exact same setup as you do (gt-100 - H&K guitar amp + nanopog into zoom b3-bass amp) and switched to the helix floor.

The helix cant handle the pitch shifting, I have to run the nanopog in one of the effect loops. Line 6 apparently hired a team to improve the pitch shifting of the helix, but we dont know when it'll be arriving.

I also keep hitting the DSP limit, but only because i replaced my guitar amp with the helix preamps

PS: the helix was a big step up for my gear. Having all sounds and levels coming from one unit has made my setup so much easier. And the sounds of the helix are amazing, I actually prefer them to my tube amp (which I still use as a poweramp, so maybe he he still adds some magic there)

You can do it. I run a rew songs in a set like this. I primarily play bass and do some upshifting here and there as a fill. I also play guitar with some bass pad stuff but like others said, it could be improved. I have some luck with post EQ on the bass emulation that masks the attack transients a bit