Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switching between four channels

AlexDeLarge

Hello

Is it possible to use the Helix hx effects to switch between all four channels on a ENGL powerball amp? I have previously had problems with channel switching when using a Carl martin octa switch. When using this I can only switch between clean and crunch channels when using a mono jack. When I use a stereo jack I can switch between crunch and lo-gain, but I want to be able to switch between clean and lo lead (can't even access the hi-lead channel). Is it possible to choose any of the four channels I want when connecting the helix hx to my channel gain input on the back of my amp? I haven't bought a Helix yet cause this is a very important feature for me, so I want to be sure it can do it before buying. 

22 hours ago, AlexDeLarge said:

Hello

Is it possible to use the Helix hx effects to switch between all four channels on a ENGL powerball amp? I have previously had problems with channel switching when using a Carl martin octa switch. When using this I can only switch between clean and crunch channels when using a mono jack. When I use a stereo jack I can switch between crunch and lo-gain, but I want to be able to switch between clean and lo lead (can't even access the hi-lead channel). Is it possible to choose any of the four channels I want when connecting the helix hx to my channel gain input on the back of my amp? I haven't bought a Helix yet cause this is a very important feature for me, so I want to be sure it can do it before buying. 

There is only one amp switching output on the Helix and HX Effects although someone posted a method for using the CV output on the Helix as well a while back. The simplest way to do more complex switching operations if your amp is not MIDI enabled is to use something like the RJM switcher. There are other manufacturers making MIDI to TRS/TS amp switchers as well.

http://www.rjmmusic.com/products/amp-gizmo/

I use the original helix to control all 4 channels on my engl powerball 2.  I use a trs cable from the helix to the channel jack on the engl.  I set up one switch in helix to control the ring and another to control the tip.  with both off i'm on channel 1,   0+0 is channel 1.  0+1 is channel 2.  1+0 is channel 3. and 1+1 is channel 4. I have not tried to use snapshots with that.  if helix fx has a trs jack, which from what I just read it does, you should be able to do this.  I am unsure whether or not it will actually work on the original powerball.  good luck with that.  I know a few different amp models have had a bit of trouble with it.

from the manual....

PEDAL/EXT AMP 1-2  Two expression pedals can be connected to the HX Effects device and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. By default, EXP 1 is automatically assigned to control and bypass Wah/Pitch Wham type blocks, and EXP 2 is automatically assigned to control Volume blocks, making them ready for use with your connected expression pedal(s). See "Assigning a Controller" Alternatively, either jack can be connected to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (A=tip, B=ring). To set this jack's function. See "Global Settings > Preferences"

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyRokstar77 said:

I use the original helix to control all 4 channels on my engl powerball 2.  I use a trs cable from the helix to the channel jack on the engl.  I set up one switch in helix to control the ring and another to control the tip.  with both off i'm on channel 1,   0+0 is channel 1.  0+1 is channel 2.  1+0 is channel 3. and 1+1 is channel 4. I have not tried to use snapshots with that.  if helix fx has a trs jack, which from what I just read it does, you should be able to do this.  I am unsure whether or not it will actually work on the original powerball.  good luck with that.  I know a few different amp models have had a bit of trouble with it.

from the manual....

PEDAL/EXT AMP 1-2  Two expression pedals can be connected to the HX Effects device and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. By default, EXP 1 is automatically assigned to control and bypass Wah/Pitch Wham type blocks, and EXP 2 is automatically assigned to control Volume blocks, making them ready for use with your connected expression pedal(s). See "Assigning a Controller" Alternatively, either jack can be connected to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (A=tip, B=ring). To set this jack's function. See "Global Settings > Preferences"

Thanks man! This was really helpful! Might just give it a go and see what happens. Thanks again :) 

13 hours ago, JohnnyRokstar77 said:

from the manual....

Glad you posted, a lot of amps don't have the ability to control something like four separate channels using a single TRS out from a controller/modeler like the Helix. If the OP's does then as you posted I have to agree that the Helix might work fine without a MIDI to TRS/TS convertor.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried amp switching using snapshots?

It seems, that line6 has forgotten to implement the fourth state of a TRS plug. I can store 
0+1 for channel 2.  1+0 for channel 3. and 1+1 for channel 4 in an instant command, but 0+0 for channel 1 can only be stored,  assgning "None" to the command . Switching an instant command to "None" overwrites all other values automatically.

Any advice?

• 6 months later...

It would be nice to see Line 6 add "tip off, ring off" to the options available for Ext Amp when using Instant commands. There are at least three threads here and one on the gear page asking to solve this problem. It seems to be a common setting for quality gear (I play a Boogie) and the only way to get around it is to assign functions to foot switches and save states between snapshots or using a separate preset.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:25 PM, rgx420 said:

Has anyone tried amp switching using snapshots?

It seems, that line6 has forgotten to implement the fourth state of a TRS plug. I can store 
0+1 for channel 2.  1+0 for channel 3. and 1+1 for channel 4 in an instant command, but 0+0 for channel 1 can only be stored,  assgning "None" to the command . Switching an instant command to "None" overwrites all other values automatically.

Any advice?

Which amp do you have? If your amp has MIDI channel switching take a look at this video.

No Midi, tx for asking. I'm using a Boogie MarkV: 25 with a simple TRS cable (circuit open/circuit closed).

Exact problem rgx420 describes. No option to set "tip off, ring off" or 0+0 as an instant command.

Helix will only switch to that state when you switch into a new preset, Otherwise you can't control it using an instant command.

Assigning a dedicated foot switch works fine, but blocks out those foot switches for every preset and snapshot you need them.

• 2 weeks later...

Line 6 Support confirmed that this is a missing feature and sent me to "ideascale" to campaign for it. I found three posts already started so I up--voted them all and reported them as duplicates, hoping that the votes could be combined.

Join the fun! Click up-vote on all three!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ext-Amp-Tip-Ring-off-state/946814-23508#idea-tab-comments

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/add-EXT-AMP-tip-and-ring-off-option/932435-23508#idea-tab-comments

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ext-amp-output-to-none/938206-23508#idea-tab-comments

• 1 year later...

Hey CBoom or anyone else reading this who has the latest 2.90 firmware -- can we now send a tip 0 + ring 0 Ext Amp Instant Command on the Helix? Google gave me no answers.

I went through the latest 2.90 firmware release notes but couldn't find any info on whether or not this feature has been added. I'm hesitant to go through the update process just yet unless this feature, the lack of which has been the only real downside to the Helix for me, has been added.