Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Battery indicator LED weirdness

Hey, guys,

I use my JTV-59 Variax infrequently (basically only on Sundays when I need a banjo or I'd need more than two other guitars), so I make a habit to always check the battery the night before I use it.  Two weeks ago, the battery indicator was at two lights, so I popped the battery into the charger before I went to bed.  In the morning, the lights on the charger indicated that it was finished charging, so I popped it in the Variax and hit the battery level button.  A brief, instantaneous flash of all 4 LEDs, nothing else.  I hit the button again and get each LED lighting up and turning off sequentially - 1, 2, 3, 4.  I hit it a third time, and the LEDs flashed in this order: 2, 1, 1, 2.  The flashes were longer this time, as if this were a specific error message.  A fourth press starts the cycle again, but with a slightly longer initial light up of all 4 lights.  I used it that week with no problems whatsoever (I had a backup guitar, though).

I checked it last week (ended up using my Strat because I threw my back out and didn't want to deal with the weight of the Variax), same thing.  I checked it again today as there's a tune with banjo on the setlist this morning.  Same thing.  I reinstalled the battery just in case it wasn't seated correctly - same thing.

What's going on here?  I can't find any mention of those LED indicators communicating anything other than the power level of the battery.

If it keeps going through the same sequence of flashes, I'm gonna guess that it's not an accident,  and perhaps indicates some sort of error which the powers that be love to get all obtuse and "007" about. Don't be surprised if you're told that it needs to be serviced, with little else in the way of explanation.

Or it could just be some weird malfunction of no particular significance... hard to say either way.

I hate anything that relies on batteries...always power mine with the Helix, and the POD before that. 

• Like 1

It does seem as though it's trying to tell you something, doesn't it? Maybe some type of undocumented -- to end users -- diagnostic. Perhaps psarkissian will check in on this, at least with advice to contact the service department...

Out of curiosity, I took my battery pack out of the charger and plugged it into my JTV-59 just a few minutes ago. It did what was expected -- lit all 4 green LEDs briefly, then turned 'em off. Pressing the check button again repeats the process, each time the button is pressed. That's what's supposed to happen.

Incidentally, this is with a questionable battery -- one that's not particularly long-lived. But, at least it still works...

• 9 months later...

Can’t fully explain without running some tests but lithium poly/ion chemistry degrades over span of few years.  More rapid degradation when stored fully charged for long periods of time.  

Cold temperatures exasperate the situation with regard to IR (internal resistance).  Battery pack left in cold vehicle placed into service, for example.  

But at room temperatures battery power errors could be sign of permanently increasing IR of the battery pack/cells.  Layman users can easily try a "fresh" replacement battery.  Doesn't hurt to have a 2nd spare battery pack anyway.  Avoid deep discharging....