Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noob question - audio interface

bigcraigie_1

I’ve just picked up a Helix LT and only just scratched the surface of this amazing box of tricks. 

I’ve taken to most of the basic functionality like a duck to water thanks to its super easy interface, however I am struggling with using it the way I’m used to other devices when using it as an audio interface. I use Presonus Studio One and I can hear the play back ok and record guitar tracks ok. However, I can’t seem to listen to the sounds from the computer only through my headphones. I want to be able to hear that only and not the guitar signal through the Helix. When monitoring a guitar track I get a modulated sound due to hearing both the helix and the computer together. 

The only way I seem to get round it is my muting or switching off the monitoring on the track, but I  want to do it the other way around if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions?

I don't use my Helix as an interface so this is just a guess, but I think you want to read the "Hardware Monitoring vs DAW Software Monitoring" section of the Helix Owner's Guide. I'll copy and paste here:

"When a DAW track's software monitoring is active, you'll likely not want to simultaneously hear the Helix hardware monitoring signal. To achieve this, you can set the Helix Output block to USB Out 3/4 or 5/6. These Output block options will route your Helix-processed, stereo signal out to your DAW software without also providing the Helix hardware monitoring to USB 1/2. You'll then need to set your DAW track to receive from the same selected Helix USB Out to record the Helix-processed signal into the track - or, you can optionally set the DAW track input to Helix USB 7 or USB 8 to record a dry DI signal - see the next section"

It's not really clear to me what you're asking here because it's not clear how you have things setup.  Are you are using the Helix direct into your DAW via the USB and you're not using the PreSonus audio interface at all.  Where are your headphones plugged in?  The Helix or the computer?  What I'm really confused about is when you say you don't want to hear the guitar when you're recording, only the source tracks from the computer.  How are you listening to the guitar?  Are these tracks you're listening to coming from pre-recorded tracks in the DAW or some other source such as a YouTube video or an MP3?

Most often if people are using the Helix as the audio interface, it's the only audio interface to the computer.  Therefore the speakers and headphones are connected to the Helix.  If just practicing with an MP3 or video, that simply plays through the Helix on the speakers or headphones right alongside the guitar.  If recording a guitar track on a DAW you typically listen to the previouslly recorded tracks on playback from the DAW (through the speakers or headphones on the Helix) while turning off the source playback on the track that's being recorded so you hear the originating guitar signal, not the recorded signal post processing  That way you don't hear the latency involved in the processing of recording the guitar when playing it back.

Hi DundinDragon.

Presonus Studio One is the DAW, not an audio interface. I'm using the Helix as the audio Interface by USB and headphones plugged into the Helix.

I think I know what I'm doing now to achieve this from Kylotans response, however this looks like it needs to be done at preset level on the output block rather than a global setting.