Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Frequency Response Graphs For Hd500 Eqs

pfsmith0

Yes, that's a little, um, funky, isn't it? I think they were emulating the MXR pedal EQ which has this characteristic (see the POD HD Model Gallery in the webpage Line6> Support> Manuals> POD HD - I'd post the link but the forum software won't let me under IE10). It sounds like you'd be happier with the Studio EQ which is more what you and I think of as a "good and proper" EQ. Don't let the Graphic EQ performance dissuade you from the purchase. There are lots of EQs available. Each amp has their own tone controls as well.

Oh my god I'm so bummed out about this. I was about to buy one of these too, but EQ is probably THE MOST important effect. You can control feedback, make guitars and basses sound like totally different models, alter your distortion, protect your speakers, and fundamentally control your tone. I can't believe how badly Line 6 fell short here! That 2.2kHz band on the GEQ... what do they expect me to do with that?

Of course EQ is important but don't let these issues alone stop you from getting one.  Everything is still workable, even if it isn't quite the way we expect it to be...  There is nothing else in this price range that even comes close... IMHO...

• Upvote 1

Digital Igloo has stated before that it won't be this way next gen. I'd hunt for the post but I dont wanna!

I think it was an oversite, plan and simple. It may also be very difficult to correct in the programming. My hope it that in the next generation of Pod gear this is corrected.

Every piece of gear I have uses frequencies for adjusting detailed EQ parameters. It makes things easy when sharing settings between them. Not having them drops their flags ship product below other products.

Of course EQ is important but don't let these issues alone stop you from getting one.  Everything is still workable, even if it isn't quite the way we expect it to be...  There is nothing else in this price range that even comes close... IMHO...

Not having frequencies is a big deal that could effect the purchase of this product. It's just another element that make it difficult to program.

Add that to insufficient processing power and a horrible direct sound compared to previous versions of Pod it makes one wonder who was captaining the ship when Line 6 released the HD product and if the were drunk at the helm. HD is both the best and worst product released. No doubt why it was not used for Amplifi.

But when the new gear is released the HD stuff will just be a bad dream. And I very much doubt anyone will keep any of those units compared to the number of people who still swear by the original Pod, 2.0, XT, and X3.

• Downvote 1

Add that to insufficient processing power and a horrible direct sound compared to previous versions of Pod it makes one wonder who was captaining the ship when Line 6 released the HD product and if the were drunk at the helm.

I have no idea what you are referring to as a horrible direct sound compared to previous versions... but if that is your opinion, so be it...  still doesn't change my advice regards purchasing one.  The EQ options are not a significant detractor.  There are so many ways to achieve any tone with the POD that the argument, other than philosophically doesn't hold water...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you pfsmith0!!

Finally sat down to come to grips with the EQs (after years of XTs and X3s EQs) and this really made sense.

I can understand some of the migration worries a new buyer might have, but its not a deal breaker once the understanding is there. It really is an excellent device.

I've had more time and am able to dig in - I am getting it. (had to push this thread back up). :)

--Bill

What's frustrating is the Vetta's editing software was WAY better.  The EQ display was miles ahead of what we currently have.  Still the original Line6 Edit was the best I've seen from them in editing software.

Clearly the documentation has gone way downhill since then too.  The Vetta's manual was the best manual I've ever seen.  Even if the software was "authentic" to the modelled gear, there should have been in the ensuing years some translation to hz available.

@BillBee: thanks for bumping.  I had just got online to search for this info and whammo! there is was right at the top.

@ pfsmith: I really needed this info so mucho gracias, vielen danke, merci, å¤šäºå¾—多, ×ª×•×“×” רבה, molto grazie.  Take the rest of the day off and get a beer.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Yes, my hats off to the folks here, particularly meambobbo and pfsmith0 for their work with the EQ's. I'd buy you guys a beer anytime. While Line 6 may not have set up the EQ's optimally they could have at least tried to provide us with some better documentation and maybe a few instructional videos to help out. There's a lot of information here to digest but it has already helped me out a lot although I've got a lot to learn still. 

A BIG Thank You!

• Upvote 1

I still can't believe someone at Line6 thought it was a good idea to build EQs using percentage.  Then another person signed off on it thinking it was a good idea too.  When I tell my friends that don't own Line6 gear about it, they start laughing and think I'm kidding.

maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that due to some hardware/software limits L6 was almost forced to use percentages for most EQs..

probably nobody thought that percentages could be better than Hz

That still doesn't explain why they didn't use Hz for the Edit software at least, unless it was purely for the sake of consistency.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I gotta be honest, I just can't interpret the data being presented.  I am not we versed as far as these things are concerned.

Can anyone help me on what settings to use on the parametric EQ if I want to lower down the 100khz and 200khz to -5 dB?

Looking for a favorable response.  And thanks in advance.

Parametric EQ: Set Freq = 10/11 for 98/102 Hz and set Freq = 23 for 201 Hz (you can't go all the way up to 100k/200kHz so I assume this is a typo). For -5dB set gain = 30%. Set Q for however wide you want it. High Q = very narrow. Low Q = wideband.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I gotta be honest, I just can't interpret the data being presented.  I am not we versed as far as these things are concerned.

Can anyone help me on what settings to use on the parametric EQ if I want to lower down the 100khz and 200khz to -5 dB?

Looking for a favorable response.  And thanks in advance.

Hey my man!I got this a while ago and saved it. It might have been off of TGP and could be based of off PF's findings even:

Crazy I had to borrow a co-workers laptop to quote and paste :D

Hope that helps.

-B

Parametric EQ :

- You can set a frequency, the width of the range to boost/cut, and the amount of boost/cut. It also has bass/treble controls, but you cannot control their frequency or shape. If you need parametric EQ features for more than one frequency, you can use more than one parametric EQ effect in your chain. You could probably use 8 if you really wanted.

Parametric EQ measures Frequency in terms of % instead of Hz in the theory.

- One of the best evaluation up to date I could found is the following:

- 0% : 45Hz ; 5% : 75Hz ; 10% : 105Hz ; 15% ; 135Hz ; 20% : 175Hz ; 25% : 220Hz ; 30% : 315Hz ; 35% : 395Hz ; 40% : 540Hz ; 45% : 700Hz

50% : 880 Hz ; 55% : 1150Hz ; 60% : 1400Hz ; 65% : 1670Hz ; 70% : 2000Hz ; 75% : 2300 Hz ; 80% : 2750Hz ; 85% : 3150Hz ; 90% : 3600Hz

95% : 4000Hz ; 100% 4500Hz

- "Lows" cuts/boosts all frequencies below 200Hz ; shelf EQ

- "Highs" cuts/boosts all frequencies above 1500 Hz ; shelf EQ

- small Q : large width of frequencies cut/boost

- Large Q : small width of frequencies cut/boost

15% : to use if the tone is too bass heavy.

45% : mids about 600-800Hz ; to be used with a fairly small Q value

55-60% : must be boost to have more presence of the upper mids (1-1.6 Khz).

80-85% : upper high mids ; don't boost to hard after that point (nasal sound)

In principle, frequencies above 5000 Hz are not very present with guitar loudspeakers.

- Mid focus EQ :

-Only boost frequencies, not cut.

- gain is cranked up by defaut. It must be set back loww to avoid clipping.

Studio EQ : - Typical use : Roll off the high and low ends (it is not really a bandpass)

Low freq : 5-10% (75Hz-105Hz) / Low gain : -1 ; -3 db

High freq : 95% (4000 Hz) / -1 / -4 db

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey my man!I got this a while ago and saved it. It might have been off of TGP and could be based of off PF's findings even:

Crazy I had to borrow a co-workers laptop to quote and paste :D

Hope that helps.

-B

Parametric EQ :

- You can set a frequency, the width of the range to boost/cut, and the amount of boost/cut. It also has bass/treble controls, but you cannot control their frequency or shape. If you need parametric EQ features for more than one frequency, you can use more than one parametric EQ effect in your chain. You could probably use 8 if you really wanted.

Parametric EQ measures Frequency in terms of % instead of Hz in the theory.

- One of the best evaluation up to date I could found is the following:

- 0% : 45Hz ; 5% : 75Hz ; 10% : 105Hz ; 15% ; 135Hz ; 20% : 175Hz ; 25% : 220Hz ; 30% : 315Hz ; 35% : 395Hz ; 40% : 540Hz ; 45% : 700Hz

50% : 880 Hz ; 55% : 1150Hz ; 60% : 1400Hz ; 65% : 1670Hz ; 70% : 2000Hz ; 75% : 2300 Hz ; 80% : 2750Hz ; 85% : 3150Hz ; 90% : 3600Hz

95% : 4000Hz ; 100% 4500Hz

- "Lows" cuts/boosts all frequencies below 200Hz ; shelf EQ

- "Highs" cuts/boosts all frequencies above 1500 Hz ; shelf EQ

- small Q : large width of frequencies cut/boost

- Large Q : small width of frequencies cut/boost

15% : to use if the tone is too bass heavy.

45% : mids about 600-800Hz ; to be used with a fairly small Q value

55-60% : must be boost to have more presence of the upper mids (1-1.6 Khz).

80-85% : upper high mids ; don't boost to hard after that point (nasal sound)

In principle, frequencies above 5000 Hz are not very present with guitar loudspeakers.

- Mid focus EQ :

-Only boost frequencies, not cut.

- gain is cranked up by defaut. It must be set back loww to avoid clipping.

Studio EQ : - Typical use : Roll off the high and low ends (it is not really a bandpass)

Low freq : 5-10% (75Hz-105Hz) / Low gain : -1 ; -3 db

High freq : 95% (4000 Hz) / -1 / -4 db

Awesome! Thanks man...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey pfsmith0, long time user of your content and first time posting here after years of lurking (yep, still using my 500).

First things first, I won't ever be enough thankful for your work. It's a HUGE contribution.

I apparently lost your excel files and noticed the original dropbox-hosted ZIP in the first post gives 404. if you ever read this post, could you re-host it somehow? thanks

• 4 months later...