Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do you think there will be a Firmware update before NAMM

Lachdanan0121

OR do you think they are saving the goodies for one giant update around NAMM?

I know some get grilled for asking questions like these, but it's been almost 3 months sine the last update. So I think it's a fair curiosity.

I personally would like to see, more than anything, some signal metering input/output & at least a clip indicator on each block in the chain. That is definitely my number 1! Plenty of Ideascale submissions on this.

Next in the list would be the expansion of HX reverbs. I think the last update fixed the mono versions wet not being wet enough issue. But I am not sure on that, as I am still on 2.50.

I would also love to see more parameters in the HX cabs. Specifically off axis mic positioning. That would be really cool.

As far as Amps, I would say the XTC, and more Engl. Other than that I would want more Line6 originals.

I realize that the next update will not include all of this. Though hopefully some of this will be, especially my #1.

What do you guys think? What would you like to see?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

It's my understanding that metering isn't gonna happen because the screen response/redraw time is insufficient to implement this feature. Maybe Helix v2.

Hmm, perhaps they could include this in Helix Native? It already has input & output meters. Just need some clip indicators.

The clip indicator should be doable on the hardware. That limitation, if true, shouldn't affect that. Just have the blocks have an indicator of it clipped. Either on input, it output. Doesn't have to be real time visually. Just if it clips at all, have an indicator that doesn't go away until volume of that block is adjusted.

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

It's my understanding that metering isn't gonna happen because the screen response/redraw time is insufficient to implement this feature. Maybe Helix v2.

I don't think this is true...

36 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I don't think this is true...

I don't remember where I read it, Gearpage I'm pretty sure, but searching that thread with their minimal search engine is impossible! Anyhow, I'm pretty sure it was one of you "in the know" guys, or I wouldn't have repeated it, I'd've questioned it! Knew I should've saved a link to that post!

Anyhow, if the screen is not the limiting factor, considering a couple of thousand upvotes on ideascale, is it in the works?

History says that a release of a new version comes about every 4 months (not counting quick releases for bugs that slipped in).

That would put 2.6 roughly into late May / early June, followed by 2.7 in Sept/Oct and a 2.8 for NAMM

But Line 6 made a point last year to delay releasing an update when they ran into unforeseen problems (wise choice) - so maybe we will just get a second FW release (2.6) this year ...

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Anyhow, if the screen is not the limiting factor, considering a couple of thousand upvotes on ideascale, is it in the works?

Yes please!!!

7 minutes ago, MartinDorr said:

History says that a release of a new version comes about every 4 months (not counting quick releases for bugs that slipped in).

That would put 2.6 roughly into late May / early June, followed by 2.7 in Sept/Oct and a 2.8 for NAMM

But Line 6 made a point last year to delay releasing an update when they ran into unforeseen problems (wise choice) - so maybe we will just get a second FW release (2.6) this year ...

I was guessing a big update either this month, or next. Also the NAMM I was referring to Summer NAMM, not the one in January.

50 minutes ago, MartinDorr said:

True. DI said 2.6 is on Beta... Let the Man speak for himself to clear any doubts.

The promised channels missing from the amp models released in 2.5  + ?

• Cali Texas Ch2, based on* the drive channel of the MESA/Boogie® Lonestar [Ch1 coming later this spring]
  • Placater Dirty, based on* the BE/HBE channel of the Friedman BE-100 [Clean channel coming later this spring

DI called it a minor update in an interview ...

Am I the only one that wants a Marshall JVM OD1 and OD2 preamp?  

The JVM is the most modern iconic Marshall amp available today.  Endorsed by artists such as Dave Mustaine and Joe Satriani - pretty big names in the guitar world.  

We all know there are plenty of clean and dirty Marshall tones, but really only 1 Marshall metal preamp - Brit 2204 (JCM800) and if you want to count the Line 6 version 2204 Mod, there's 2.  But these don't get anywhere near the gain/metal tone of the ENGL/Mesa/PRS preamps.   I have owned the ENGL Powerball II and own the Mesa Mark V and TC-100 -  and 2 Marshall JVM's (410 head and 205 combo).  The JVM can match or out metal any of these amps, so it's not like I'm comparing apples to oranges.   

Now technically the JVM OD1 and OD2 preamps are based off the JCM800 preamps, but they have more gain stages added and the EQ is voiced differently.  So I definitely think there's an opportunity for Line 6 to include the JVM preamps.  

Anyone else want this as well?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I honestly would prefer there to be a focus on amps other than Marshall for a while. I would prefer more Engl (there is only 1 in the Helix)

JVM would be good, and all, but I would rather some of the holes in other amp companies filled, at least for this year.

I would also like to see some of the lesser known amp models that don't really appear in modelers much like Diamond Amps.  We got a great "unique" amp model with the Cartographer.  I think some more of that would be great.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'd love to see some more usability and control improvements like the OP's suggestion of an off-axis mic option and in the next update. Other than that I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

24 minutes ago, hideout said:

I'd love to see some more usability and control improvements like the OP's suggestion of an off-axis mic option and in the next update. Other than that I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

13 minutes ago, vinny_x3 said:

Yes, the off-axis option would be a very good thing.

Yea, I am far from the first to request that feature. 

I do think I get slightly better results from IRs. ( I use the 3sigma Audio ACE variants) But I do think that having this off-axis parameter would help close that gap some. I have gotten some tones that I really like from the on board cabs, this only expands the capabilities.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thurston9 said:

IRs are available to provide off axis mics, why put time into improving the stock cabs?

For more capabilities to those that do not want to go the IR route. More built-in potential. 

Some people like the HX cabs, but just want to be able to move the mic more than forwards, or backwards. 

I'm agree with you, why to buy some IRs, when we have a lot of choice with the Helix ?
IRs are a very good way to obtain a great sound, sure, but I think it's interesting to work with the cabs of our gear before to spend more some money.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hideout said:

I'm with you, having the option to place the mic off axis would be great! I also think the capability to place the mic in different positions starting from the cone out to the edge of the speaker would give the Helix cabs infinitely more flexibility. The ability to place the mic at different positions from cone to edge, on or off axis, in addition to the "Distance" parameter which already exists and determines the distance from the mic to the grill would open up all kinds of possibilities. Granted IRs already offer this but you have to roll through each one individually and it would be nice to have those capabilities onboard in the Helix cabs without having to swap IRs in and out to the limited number of IR slots available. For me adding this kind of flexibility to the Helix cabs would come well ahead of most other items on my wishlist.

Polyphonic processing is right up there at the top of my wishlist as well. It would not only open the door for all kinds of great new harmonizer, synth, and whammy effects but also apparently according to Line6 potentially help to stabilize the tracking on the tuner and perhaps some of the existing effects. Polyphonic effects and a more stable and perhaps even a polyphonic tuner option would be grand!

Well if we're listing our wishes, I'd like to give a shout out to having back the ability to send midi messages when changing snapshots!!! Seriously!!! Updates are supposed to be just that! So curious how that wire got crossed! Whatever the case, is this not important to everyone as it is for me?!?!?!?

hahaha

• Like 1

I keep reading about this midi issue and it's preventing me from wanting to update since I only use Helix for effects and beyond that it's basically a glorified midi controller for me. That loss would completely cripple my rig and use in a live situation. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 6:56 PM, Roberttheprole said:

I'd like to give a shout out to having back the ability to send midi messages when changing snapshots!!! Seriously!!! Updates are supposed to be just that! So curious how that wire got crossed! Whatever the case, is this not important to everyone as it is for me?!?!?!?

hahaha

So I was dealing with an issue this past week with my Variax USB interface (probably the 1st of June) and I spoke to a rep via telephone who mentioned the upcoming 2.6 update for Helix would have a massive number of midi bug fixes. Nothing more specific than that, but here’s hoping they live up to their claim that the Helix should be a “world-class master remote control for your entire touring or studio rig” (page 45 from the 2.0 Owner’s Manual).

12 minutes ago, swanny8777 said:

So I was dealing with an issue this past week with my Variax USB interface (probably the 1st of June) and I spoke to a rep via telephone who mentioned the upcoming 2.6 update for Helix would have a massive number of midi bug fixes. Nothing more specific than that, but here’s hoping they live up to their claim that the Helix should be a “world-class master remote control for your entire touring or studio rig” (page 45 from the 2.0 Owner’s Manual).

Interesting. 

I basically use Helix Native for ReAmping these days as automation with it is so much more reliable, and smoother than setting it up to go through USB. Automating something in the Helix using Midi CC from the DAW was quite sporadic for me, and not always reliable. 

This would be great, because I could reduce some CPU load in projects by bouncing the load of one of my guitars back to the hardware, while one is on Native. I dial in my guitar tones in context while listening to the full mix. So if this 2.6 update fixes those problems then that would be a great update indeed before even getting to mention any of the goodies that may come along with it. 

Don't want to hijack the thread but I send PC and CC message's using instant commands in snapshots on my HX. Nothing complex, mainly turning an H9 on and off and Atomic Amplifire Patch changes, but it works when I change snapshots.  There are MIDI things I know don't work properly but this I can do.  

D.

1 minute ago, DodgeGB said:

Don't want to hijack the thread but I send PC and CC message's using instant commands in snapshots. Nothing complex, mainly turning an H9 on and off and Atomic Amplifire Parch changes, but it works when I change snapshots?  There are MIDI things I know don't work properly but this I can do.  

Do you want to PM me so we can compare what is and isn't working (conscious of the hijack element here!)?

D.

No worries on the hijack lol.

I actually know how to set up the sending automation from the DAW through USB to Helix Rack. Thing is it isn't always reliable.  (I think it is half Helix fault, half my DAW's fault)

I use FL Studio 12.5.  

FL Studio 20 just launched with a slew of improvements/changes, but I am waiting a few months until all the bug fixes are patched in. 

I am hoping that with the updates/improvements of FLS 20, and the midi improvements in the Helix in FW 2.6... that most of these issues will be ironed out. 

Unless your post was directed to Roberttheprole. Either way its cool :)

• Upvote 1

Dear DI... are we allowed to start the guessing game on this forum considering that it already has on the TGP?

There are a couple guys who risked saying the EVH 5150 III is coming after that freudian slip you made during the interview with Eric of the Helix Hour show...

As well as a couple new HX reverbs and the two amp models announced in the 2.50 firmware update remaining...

Do we have your blessing?  

Please don´t get snarky... I´m just an anxious fan of Line 6´s work... 

Thanks for everything you guys do in order to improve the Helix... in advance.

• Downvote 1

On 5/15/2018 at 12:28 PM, TRENDKILLCFH333 said:

Am I the only one that wants a Marshall JVM OD1 and OD2 preamp?  

The JVM is the most modern iconic Marshall amp available today.  Endorsed by artists such as Dave Mustaine and Joe Satriani - pretty big names in the guitar world.  

I can totally support this, I dig the real amp and I dig the Sim of it in my Axe FX, I’d also like to add a Diezel Herbert, 5150iii and Mesa Mark IIC+ to the mix. But what I’d really dig is Line 6 making the amps a little more realistic and getting the whole clarity/note separation improved, maybe a little more flexibility in and advanced parameters like the ability to change power tubes, or have a graphic eq (MXR 10 band style in the virtual fx loop for the amp sim) or the ability to tweak the drive pedals a tad. Also the ability to go from a clean to dirty without having to use 2 amp models. Lastly, a cool utility would be to have a mode where the switches 7-11 select presets while switches 1-5 switch in and out fx.

• Like 1

crickets....

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but line 6 crew seem to be pretty absent from the forums, at least on this issue, which is really the issue, DI says it's in beta, guess it didn't pass the test, and some reworking has been going on, but then again here I am speculating again...???

10 hours ago, Roberttheprole said:

crickets....

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but line 6 crew seem to be pretty absent from the forums, at least on this issue, which is really the issue, DI says it's in beta, guess it didn't pass the test, and some reworking has been going on, but then again here I am speculating again...???

It's a user forum. Official L6 folks are absent 99.97% of the time... it's just how they do things. They've never been here with any frequency, on this or any other issue. With the exception of the occasional "drop in", with hints/tips usually just after something has been released... or occasionally just before the release, for the familiar "soon, gents... soon" refrain. Is what it is...

On 6/9/2018 at 11:12 PM, specracer986 said:

I've never done any midi, but I bought a PowerCab Plus and I'm hoping to change speaker modes from my snap shots. I'm not sure if it can be done now or if I'll have to wait for the next upgrade?

That's quite easy!

-Look at the manual for the Powercab; it should list what incoming midi commands do what.

-Global Settings on Helix: turn off all Midi PC sends. You'll set that up yourself.

-Setup the instant midi to the Powercab manual info under each snapshot and you're good to go!

I do this with the RJM Amp Gizmo and my Road King. Easy peasy!