Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Helix Tone 90's Metal "At The Gates" and "Arch Enemy" Peavey 5150 (PV Panama)

thenickhill81

Hey Guys, Today I have a Line 6 Helix tone inspired by At The Gates, Arch Enemy and 90’s Metal in general. The song is an original and I will be posting more videos regarding the bass, the overall mix, and the scheduled vocal production.

I used Ownhammer Impulses again. You just can’t go wrong with these guys.

OH 412 ENG V30 421-05

I used the PV Panama amp model which is modeled after the famous Peavey 5150 block letter. 

CHAIN:

PRS Tremonti SE loaded with Fishman Fluence Moderns

Line 6 Helix Rack using the Line 6 PV Panama amp model and Ownhammer Impulses

Into the Universal Audio Apollo Twin which feeds Persons Studio One 3

Drums are Toontrack Superior Drummer 3

Thanks so Line 6 Helix Tone 90's Metal "At The Gates" and "Arch Enemy" Peavey 5150 (PV Panama) much guys!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kylotan said:

Very good Arch Enemy tone, but we're not going to get much closer to the At The Gates sound until Line 6 give us a HM-2 distortion block!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Boss-HM-2/808260-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Boss-HM-2-Model-for-Helix/864084-23508

Interesting. So the gain staging in the 5150 is okay after all...?

Maybe, maybe not. I use it happily with overdrive before the amp. It's just with distortion in front that it collapses to mush - which might mean getting an HM-2 block is not much use. Not tried your suggestion yet though.

1 hour ago, kylotan said:

which might mean getting an HM-2 block is not much use.

Interestingly, it seems that the At The Gates tone didn't pair the HM-2 up with a tube amp at all (my bold):

Gothenburg’s At The Gates used this technique to great effect on their landmark album,

Slaughter of the Soul, running an HM-2 as a boost into Boss MT-2 Metalzone and then into a solid state Peavey amp. This maintained much of the color of the HM-2, while also allowing for tighter, more articulate high gain tone.

Yeah, a lot of 90s death metal tone was entirely from the pedals. Quite a few albums are basically the sound of an HM-2 with everything turned up to full. Not the tone I'm going for, but it would be nice to have.

• 2 months later...

Maybe I'm a noob, but want it to be clear.

I'm using a Blackstar ID260 as amp (in real life, on stage etc). I play the clean channel, so no effects etc added from the amp. I don't run a 4cm but just plug in to the input.

This way I'm not able to add any amp, preamp or cabinet to the Helix preset because it sounds terrible. Maybe because of the preamp in the Blackstar. Is there a way to get this heavy sound out of a preset without amp, preamp etc?

1 hour ago, Thenizze said:

Maybe I'm a noob, but want it to be clear.

I'm using a Blackstar ID260 as amp (in real life, on stage etc). I play the clean channel, so no effects etc added from the amp. I don't run a 4cm but just plug in to the input.

This way I'm not able to add any amp, preamp or cabinet to the Helix preset because it sounds terrible. Maybe because of the preamp in the Blackstar. Is there a way to get this heavy sound out of a preset without amp, preamp etc?

Yes... if you don't want the amp's preamp to color your tone, then you have to bypass it. Plug Helix into the Blackstar's FX return (I'm assuming it has an FX loop... if not, then you're out of luck). But even then, you may not find that you like the sound if you have a cab block in the chain, as you would be running a modeled speaker and mic into an actual guitar speaker... the result is sometimes messy, and there are numerous variables that will affect the final result.... choice of amp/ cab/ mic models, etc.

Running straight into the front of any amp is really not the ideal way to use Helix, or any other modeler for that matter. You'll always be handcuffed by how the preamp affects the tone coming. Removing it from the equation is a whole lot easier than trying to EQ the damage away.

25 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yes... if you don't want the amp's preamp to color your tone, then you have to bypass it. Plug Helix into the Blackstar's FX return (I'm assuming it has an FX loop... if not, then you're out of luck). But even then, you may not find that you like the sound if you have a cab block in the chain, as you would be running a modeled speaker and mic into an actual guitar speaker... the result is sometimes messy, and there are numerous variables that will affect the final result.... choice of amp/ cab/ mic models, etc.

Running straight into the front of any amp is really not the ideal way to use Helix, or any other modeler for that matter. You'll always be handcuffed by how the preamp affects the tone coming. Removing it from the equation is a whole lot easier than trying to EQ the damage away.

I thought so. I'll give it a try and have another User Bank to use for Plug and Play through the input. Thanks,