Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix presets sync over MIDI to Powercab presets

revans

After connecting a MIDI cable from my Helix to my Powercab 112 Plus, I noticed that whenever I changed to a new preset on the Helix, the Powercab would change to its preset with the same number. Very cool!

Turns out this is expected behavior according to the manuals, using MIDI Program Change messages.

The Helix manual says: "When navigating Presets from the Helix hardware (PRESETS encoder, preset footswitches, PRESET ^ / PRESET down, etc.), Helix automatically transmits a MIDI Program Change message corresponding to the selected preset."

The Powercab manual says: "The Powercab 112 Plus active guitar speaker system responds to traditional MIDI Program Change messages from an external MIDI device (or from MIDI software via USB) and will recall presets 000-127 accordingly."

In my own Helix setlist, I have each preset displayed with a three-digit number (000-127) rather than numbers and letters (01A-32D). For each Helix preset with a modeled cab, I have set the same-numbered Powercab preset to Flat FRFR. For each Helix preset with an amp only and no cab, I have set the same-numbered Powercab preset to a speaker model that I like with that amp. In a very short time, I have set up several Helix and Powercab presets which automatically change together every time I select a new Helix preset. Super cool!

Controlling the Powercab only works over the MIDI cable. The L6 LINK carries left and right digital audio only.

It is possible that future firmware updates might allow control over L6 LINK.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is indeed a very cool feature. I'm doing the same thing with an Atomic Amplifire 6.  For each AF6 preset with an amp only and no cab, I've set the same numbered PowerCab preset to a speaker model that I like with that amp. Other than setting the presets to match on both devices, I just had to set the MIDI channel to 1. This is awesome.