Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What happened to my tone?!?!?!

SteinweinerMkIV

So I bought the Freman Big Pack, also the latest Upgrade (includes FriedmanBE, LOne Strar, etc..), Choptones presets, Ownhammer IRS.. I've done all the updates..Had it sounding killer.. But now, I swear, it's sounding fizzy, not as 3d...so weird.. I tried taking a break for a few days, same thing.. even reloaded all of my presets, factory reset, ...still the same...just not quite as sweet as it was.. I typically run right into my M Audio studio monitors (4 or 5')...Maybe my ear is wanting to graduate to 8' monitors? Just not gettting that super tight , articulate without being harsh tone..I think I'm going crazy.

2 hours ago, soundog said:

Is the IR(s) in a given preset pointing to the correct IR slot? Just one thing to double check. Ya never know...

It happened to me...…..did an update, forgot to restore the Fremen IRs.....AARGH!

Hey Thibault, I bought your Big Preset pack last year and I was wondering how I update with your new presets?

I've downloaded the zip file again today from the email confirmation and I can see that the Bonus Pink Floyd folder has been modified on 2nd Jan 2018 - do I have the latest version?

Thanks and great work!

Jim

1 hour ago, JimDiGritz said:

Hey Thibault, I bought your Big Preset pack...........

Hi Jim, perhaps you should post this question in Thibaults thread. Not sure, if he reads here.

Thanks guys...All the IRS are in the correct slots..It's primarilly the high gain stuff  (tuned down to drop B)..It's that delicate balance of aggressive high gain, yet not all ice -picky... still "pleasing to the are" so to speak. I have other guitars that are tuned to pitch that I have no problem arriving at some great sounds (Fender Clean to High-gain Marshall.), but again, fo rthat heavier stuff, I've lost my way all of a sudden.  I have been laboriing over some of these "how to" videos as therre are a lot of great ones out there..SonicDrive Studios is probably the best..Having trouble dialing in the Placater and MKIV tones..Bought Ownhammer IRS..200 + variations of EQ change and mic placement...I feel a bit overwhelmed..like my brain and ears are being compressed and expanded...

11 hours ago, SteinweinerMkIV said:

..I think I'm going crazy...I feel a bit overwhelmed..like my brain and ears are being compressed and expanded...

I'm not sure we can help with this part ... you may want to seek professional help.

As i just experienced a similar effect: Did you listen before/after at about the same volume? My chain starts sounding fizzy if i turn volume too low.

I know that's stupid simple but 'til last week, i did'nt realize this context.

Nut sure if it's the Helix itseld at very low volume settings, the AES/EBU out, my poweramps or the speakers.

It seems a bit logic to me that a digital output/input, driven at ultra low level, can cause some mess.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:27 PM, SteinweinerMkIV said:

M Audio studio monitors (4 or 5')...Maybe my ear is wanting to graduate to 8' monitors?

I REALLY need to see your 4, 5, and 8 foot monitors! Sorry, I couldn't resist

14 hours ago, HCRoadie said:

I REALLY need to see your 4, 5, and 8 foot monitors! Sorry, I couldn't resist

...uh... those are meters buddy  : )        I seemed to have fixed the issue, which I'm not totally sure what happened....  Found a few of my presets that had double EQ blocks (of the same type of EQ) so, I found multipkle placses in some presets where Treble was being boosted in 3 places..definitely causes  bad fuzz..till having issues with Placater for some reason, but i'm getting other amps to sound great at the moment, so not a crisis.. I'm still going to get 8 INCH monitors though.