Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to connect to my amp

diverdownski

So I'm now looking for some help on just how to run this to my amp head.  Here is what I have.

EVH 5150III 50W head, and Cab.

Also wanna incorporate my KORG Rack tuner ...yes I know I don't need it now with the POD, but its much easier to see for me.

Where do I even start????

Thanks!

Well... Actually... 

The easiest way to hook it up would be from the pod output to the amp input, the same as you would any other effect or if the guitar was going straight to the amp. 

Hey, I plugged everything in a straight line for decades. In fact, I did it up until I got a pod and ditched all the other gear (including the amps). 

I think a good place to start would be for us to ask... 

What are you intentions? 

What was the purpose of buying the unit? 

What do you hope to get out of it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, diverdownski said:

Where do I even start????

This question suggests that you are completely new to this type of gear... if I am wrong about that I apologize. 

Your options are limited only by your knowledge of those options. 

IMO, start easy... turn off the amp models in the pod and get a feel for it by using it as a pedal board.

1. Guitar > Tuner > HD 500 > Amp
  2. Turn off the amp models in the patches
  3. Set the output mode to "studio/direct" (this keeps live cabs off as well)
  4. Set the switch at the top of the HD to AMP. 
  5. Now set it up the HD just as you would any pedal board.

Once you get some great sounds out of it and you understand how this thing operates you can look at some of the advanced options and features. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:31 AM, pianoguyy said:

Well... Actually... 

The easiest way to hook it up would be from the pod output to the amp input, the same as you would any other effect or if the guitar was going straight to the amp. 

Hey, I plugged everything in a straight line for decades. In fact, I did it up until I got a pod and ditched all the other gear (including the amps). 

I think a good place to start would be for us to ask... 

What are you intentions? 

What was the purpose of buying the unit? 

What do you hope to get out of it?

my intentions were to get rid of pedal, and have more room to expand on sound and options.  and this will sound odd, but due to being a firefighter for almost 20 yrs my back is shot and the constant bending to screw with the pedals made it not so fun anymore.

I'm completely new to this, the instructions for it suck, and I'm about to throw it out the window and take up with flute!  lol

6 hours ago, diverdownski said:

my back is shot

I see two issues semi related to the "how to connect" question...

1. the EDIT software can make it so that you don't have to bend over to adjust tone, but you shouldn't really use it beyond editing. this means you still need to plug/unplug the unit. 

2. you can get rid of the amp and save your back from needing to carry it. <-- more on this later

6 hours ago, diverdownski said:

my intentions were to get rid of pedal,

ok, if you have experience with other pedals, then a good place to start is to hook the unit up the exact same way you hooked up your other gear. 

That is also how you design patches, too. If you are replacing a flanger, add a flanger. If you never used one before, why try it now - do it later, after you are more familiar with the unit and its possibilities.  

On 5/19/2018 at 10:20 PM, diverdownski said:

my intentions were to get rid of pedal, and have more room to expand on sound and options.  and this will sound odd, but due to being a firefighter for almost 20 yrs my back is shot and the constant bending to screw with the pedals made it not so fun anymore.

I'm completely new to this, the instructions for it suck, and I'm about to throw it out the window and take up with flute!  lol

First, Thank you for your service! In my experience, owning several POD's throughout the years, and reading Line6 'Pilot Handbooks' and 'Advanced user guides', I have always found that their manuals are really good. Some of their products are so deep that it can take a while to really understand the manual, but having the patience to do so has allowed me to get the best out of their products. When I'm not quite sure about something, I visit these forums, which you did, so great job there! The greatest L6 user knowledge lives here!