Jump to content
TLysecki

HX Effects expression pedal troubles

Recommended Posts

Long time listener, first time caller.

I picked up the HXFX recently, getting modern after some years with an HD500, and I'm happy with my decision. Today, though, I picked up a cheap M-Audio expression pedal. When I tested it in store, it seemed to be working fine - the polarity was reversed, even when I flicked that little switch on the back, but I can deal with that by flipping the min and max. What I can't deal with is the fact that switching presets renders the expression pedal totally useless! The only way to get it working again is to turn the unit off and on again - not ideal.

 

There were loads of opinions about which expression pedal to get and plenty of it was over my head. Does anybody know why this pedal isn't working? Can anybody recommend a better one that works consistently? I've got gigs!

 

Thanks, team!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TLysecki said:

What I can't deal with is the fact that switching presets renders the expression pedal totally useless! The only way to get it working again is to turn the unit off and on again - not ideal.

 

Let me get this right...

  1. You setup a patch with the expression, and save it.
  2. You go to a new patch and the expression doesn't work.... I would expect that unless you setup the patch to use it.
  3. You return to the original patch and the expression no longer works? Are you sure? I would expect it to work as it did when you saved the patch. 

If that isn't what you are trying to explain, please provide us with a recipe of what you are doing, and what you are expecting when you do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, codamedia said:
  1. You setup a patch with the expression, and save it.
  2. You go to a new patch and the expression doesn't work.... I would expect that unless you setup the patch to use it.
  3. You return to the original patch and the expression no longer works? Are you sure? I would expect it to work as it did when you saved the patch. 

 

Yes, this is what's happening. I also tried configuring the expression pedal on patch 2 and it would be totally unresponsive, wouldn't recognize when I click "Learn," etc. Defies logic, I know, but that's what I encountered. Multiple restarts, plug in and out and in again, nothing fixed it permanently.

 

I caved and bought the Line 6 EX1 but it feels pretty awful so far...and I'm now getting similar issues to this user where the unit is sensing that I'm touching a footswitch (FS4) and it's spilling out into edit mode (I see you replied to that thread also - thanks for being so helpful).

 

This only started since using the EX1. Pretty discouraged, and I've got an important gig tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I have the same problem with Roland EV-5 expression pedal, which worked with M9 flawlessly. Now I have HX Effects, running on 2.7 firmware.

The expression pedal works fine after turning on the HX, it has good response, works from the minimum to maximum values. I just had to invert it in 

global settings. Also pedal position is set to "preset". After changing the preset, the pedal dissapears, it is no longer possible to use it, "learn" function

does not see the pedal etc. Please help it really looks like firmware issue, not the pedal itself. 

 

Greets :)

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, 

Having the same problem here with a BOSS FV-500H. Worked flawlessly on an M13, but on the HX Effects just stops working when I change presets. It's like it bypasses the pedal/exp-out entirely. I contacted Line 6 about it and they were willing to help the first 2 messages but then they just stopped giving actual answers and saying that because it's a 3rd party expression pedal they have not tested there's nothing they can do. A bug fix would be nice in 2.80 but i don't see that happening anytime soon. 

It's set to global on my end, but trying every single possible settings combination led to nothing. 

 

If anyone does have a fix let us know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CheesybisquitFTW said:

A bug fix would be nice in 2.80 but i don't see that happening anytime soon. 

It's set to global on my end, but trying every single possible settings combination led to nothing. 

 

Not really a bug, as the FV-500H uses a different sort of electrical connection than what the Line 6 pedals are looking for. It worked on your M13, yes, but the expression inputs on the HX are a bit more complex as they can set up to do different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The manual says that HX works with most pedals on the market. Boss FV-500H is like industry icon, also the Roland is common. TLysecki wrote that even

old Line 6 EX-1 doesn't work. So come on, HX is too complex for 3rd party pedals? It really looks the opposite - 3rd party standard pedals are too 

complex for the HX :( If the HX was too complex for the 3rd party pedals, the pedals would not work at all. In our cases - pedal works great upon turning on

the unit. You can assign it anywhere you want. UNTIL you change the preset and the pedal disappears.  This really looks like a bug. 

 

Line 6 - please help with this. The unit is great, I really enjoy it, but this expression pedal issue is an embarrassment for you and disappointment for your  customers.

 

I really hope this bug can be fixed in 2.8 version and I wish you a nice day :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m having the same issue. I turn on my HX Effects and the expression pedal works great on the one preset I have it set up for. Then I switch to a different present then back to the same preset and the expression pedal is non-exsistant. It will not work at all. Then I power cycle the HX and it’s back. Line6, please help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming back to this old(ish) thread. I am experiencing a variation of the same issue here. Despite of the expression pedal make or model I seem to lose connection to the pedal when I switch snapshots. More precisely: I have set up 4 snapshots for a preset; clean, crunch, drive and lead. I added a volume pedal as a first block in the chain. I assigned the position parameter to follow the EXP1. I did this in snapshot 1. Everything works great. Then I switch to any other snapshot and HXFX no longer even recognized the EXP1 e.g. via the ”Learn” functionality. It does still work when I go back to the original Snapshot 1. But any other snapshot seems to lose connection with EXP1 completely. I have tried all the different global parameter options for EXP’s (Global, Preset, Snapshot) no no avail. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, petrijsalo said:

Coming back to this old(ish) thread. I am experiencing a variation of the same issue here. Despite of the expression pedal make or model I seem to lose connection to the pedal when I switch snapshots. More precisely: I have set up 4 snapshots for a preset; clean, crunch, drive and lead. I added a volume pedal as a first block in the chain. I assigned the position parameter to follow the EXP1. I did this in snapshot 1. Everything works great. Then I switch to any other snapshot and HXFX no longer even recognized the EXP1 e.g. via the ”Learn” functionality. It does still work when I go back to the original Snapshot 1. But any other snapshot seems to lose connection with EXP1 completely. I have tried all the different global parameter options for EXP’s (Global, Preset, Snapshot) no no avail. Any ideas?

 

What expression pedal are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, phil_m said:

 

What expression pedal are you using?

I have multiple expression pedals all behaving similarly. Mission Engineerin EP1-L6, Yamaha FC7, M-Audio EX-P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming back to report my resolution to my own issue. I was able to resolve the issue with the following actions:

 

1. Went to Global Settings / Preferences

2. Changed Pedal 1 Jack and Pedal 2 Jack parameters from EXP 1 and EXP 2 to Amp 1 and Amp 2

3. Saved the settings

4. Went back and changed the parameters back to EXP 1 and EXP 2

5. Saved the settings again

 

So for some reason the system did not read the Pedal Jacks as EXP even though the parameter was set so. Saving the wrong value and then changing back resolved the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

 

I have the solution. Line 6 changed wiring of their expression pedals. Most of expression pedals on the market have stereo TRS jacks outputs,

however Line 6 now use mono TS jack outputs. There is no software workaround, you would have to rewire your pedals - there is no need to change

the cable, just use soldering inside the pedal as per this diagrams, depending on the pedal You are using. I rewired my Roland EV-5 pedal, it took me 10 mins

and now it works perfectly, no need to buy expensive Mission pedal :) Get your soldering irons and enjoy! :) Cheers :)

 

all_pedals.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×