Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effects vol + wah

sideshowsmitty

I'm really digging my HX Effects.  I'm so used to always just stepping on my wah and volume pedals when I need them though, and can't get used to stepping on a button on the HX, then going to the expression pedal for a volume or wah effect.  I'm using the 4 cable method, and want to just have my volume and wah pedals on the board next to the HX so I can use them at any time.  What is the best way to hook them up?  Thanks in advance!!

I have the volume pedal (VP Jr) and wah (mission engineering) set so that they come on at about 3% (just a bit past heel down) and don’t have them set to any switch on the HX. That was they just engage themselves when I step on the rather than needing to step on an HX switch and then go to the wah or volume pedal. 

On 5/17/2018 at 4:16 AM, mbtainton said:

I have the volume pedal (VP Jr) and wah (mission engineering) set so that they come on at about 3% (just a bit past heel down) and don’t have them set to any switch on the HX. That was they just engage themselves when I step on the rather than needing to step on an HX switch and then go to the wah or volume pedal. 

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know that was possible!  Do you have them plugged into the Pedal/EX Amp 1 and 2?  Thanks again.

If you put a wah block in in Signal Flow view, it's automatically set up so that EXP1 controls the sweep and auto-engages the block. You can select something else in Signal Flow view to control the bypass if you want. For a Volume block, you probably don't want to have it assigned to any bypass. Again, load the block in Signal Flow view, and you don't have to have it assigned to a switch.

15 hours ago, sideshowsmitty said:

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know that was possible!  Do you have them plugged into the Pedal/EX Amp 1 and 2?  Thanks again.

From memory, my volume pedal is in Exp 1 and wah in Exp 2. When you add the pedal in the signal flow, set the switch to Exp 1 or 2 for whichever type of pedal you’re adding. Then press the right arrow and you’ll see the Position setting. I set this to 3%. Then go into Controller Assign menu and make sure the correct Exp jack is set there for the pedal you added. 

On 5/18/2018 at 3:32 PM, phil_m said:

If you put a wah block in in Signal Flow view, it's automatically set up so that EXP1 controls the sweep and auto-engages the block. You can select something else in Signal Flow view to control the bypass if you want. For a Volume block, you probably don't want to have it assigned to any bypass. Again, load the block in Signal Flow view, and you don't have to have it assigned to a switch.

Thanks!  I did that but now I have a weird issue.  When the wah is all the way back, its on, but as soon as I push it forward, it goes off.  I'm sure I"m missing something simple, but I can't figure it out.  Thanks everyone for all  your help!

1 hour ago, sideshowsmitty said:

Thanks!  I did that but now I have a weird issue.  When the wah is all the way back, its on, but as soon as I push it forward, it goes off.  I'm sure I"m missing something simple, but I can't figure it out.  Thanks everyone for all  your help!

You just need to toggle the bypass state of the wah. Go into Signal Flow view, navigate over to the Wah block, and hit FS3 (the name of the wah will be in the scribble strip there) to toggle it so it matches the position of the expression pedal.

I found setting up the volume pedal easy, I have it set to bypass once my expression pedal is toe down and once it moves then it engages.... the Wah however I haven't quite got it to work the way I would like... .I tried setting it up like the volume pedal but when using the wah when I put the toe down all the way it cuts out... so if I want to use the wah I have it set to a snapshot or regular button.... it find it doesn't take THAT much extra time... IF there is a better solution to this I'm all ears... 

• 5 years later...

I bought a Boss EV-1-WL and it is exactly what is needed to oput the wah and volume on one pedal for the HX Effects. I don't use the wireless aspect of it... I was used to using a Dunlop Mister Super CryBaby, so this is a great replacement for that.