Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Inserting Pure Volume Boost Without Gain

Monter

HI

I want to assign a vomue increase to a FS for raiing the volume for soloing. I do not want to use the EXP1 pedal, nor use an EQ or any other pedal that adds colour or gain, I want a pure volume increase as if turning up the master volume nut a tad.

• In preset mode I was thinking that I could assign the FS to an increase in the master volume of the amp for the preset but could not get this to work.
  • Using the HD500x as a pedal board (in global mode now) I sort of expected to see something like the MXR micro amp because it is in the L6 gallery, but .. nothing of the kind seems to exist in the HD500x effects without adding colour or gain.  

Any ideas?

HI

I want to assign a vomue increase to a FS for raiing the volume for soloing. I do not want to use the EXP1 pedal, nor use an EQ or any other pedal that adds colour or gain, I want a pure volume increase as if turning up the master volume nut a tad..........

Any ideas?

Based on what you describe, the only thing that can accomplish it is copying the preset to another location, increase the volume on the copied preset by  turning up the master volume and save it in the new location so that when you press the FS to change to the new preset  you get a pure volume boost. 

• Upvote 1

Based on what you describe, the only thing that can accomplish it is copying the preset to another location, increase the volume on the copied preset by  turning up the master volume and save it in the new location so that when you press the FS to change to the new preset  you get a pure volume boost. 

My blind!! XD

• Upvote 1

Put a volume pedal in your patch, set it to say 50%, set your amp up/effects up to your normal volume you play at whilst it's set at 50%, when you want a boost, just go up to 100%.

OR

Do a dual amp patch, set both the amps the same but have one with louder volume than the other. (Make sure the mixer is central both left and right)

Assign the footswitch so you can blend from the one amp to the other, 

Simply use it to fade to the other which has the higher volume

• 1 year later...

The problem with using the FX loop is you go thru another set of data converters which is, by far, the biggest degradation to your signal. I use the Studio EQ with all the freq settings set to flat. Use the gain control, which is "clean" gain, to set the volume boost. I usually use 5dB for solo work. I put it at the very end of the signal chain.

• Upvote 1

Put a volume pedal in your patch, set it to say 50%, set your amp up/effects up to your normal volume you play at whilst it's set at 50%, when you want a boost, just go up to 100%.

hmmm I never tried this, I use seperate patch. But I wonder if you set a volume pedal at the end of the chain with the setting you describe. Don't set it to expression pedal. Then use a button to turn off the volume pedal, that should take it out of the chain, e.g. 100% volume for the boost.

Isn't volume and gain the same thing? Gain is the measure of increase of volume in an amplifier. It just so happens that most amplifiers start to distort under increased gain, due to limitations in their design. I guess its the distortion you wish to avoid, not gain..

In guitar lingo it seems "gain" is increase in signal level before the preamp, allowing the signal to drive the preamp into distortion/saturation when set high. I've also seen this called "drive". "Volume" is increase in signal level after the preamp, usually just providing increased, um, volume. But, yeah, I get your point. Nomenclature like this drives me bananas at times. In order to communicate with other guitarists I've had to resort these terms defined as above.