Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD400 using 4CM to B52 head in effects loop as EFFECTS ONLY

fretburner1699

Hello all,

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but this is what I'm trying to accomplish (without success):

I have a modded B-52 head that I want to use for all of the preamp stages and use my POD HD400 as ONLY effects. This means I don't want to use any of the amp settings AT ALL on the POD because I have this modded B-52 that has some KILLER tone. My intentions are to use the POD as if it were a series of stomp boxes...mainly the chorus/delay effects...through the effects loop.

I've read about using the 4CM to connect it up; however, even when I do this, I'm not able to stop the POD from basically taking over the preamp of my actual amp. Here's how I have it run:

FX/Send on POD>Input on amp

FX/Return on POD>FX/Send on amp

Output on POD>FX/Return on amp

Input on POD>Guitar

I have the Effects Loop button turned ON on the POD, but if I press the Effects Only button on the POD, I have no sound. Is it possible to use the HD400 for JUST multi effects and NOT use it as a modeler? 

To update: 

I was able to play with the settings, and I've been able to get a little sound with the amp mode bypassed on the HD400. The problem is there is such a huge drop in volume, even with the volume on the pedal maxed out and the gain on both the send and return on the effects loop on the amp cranked. I'm not sure if this is controlled elsewhere in the settings, or if the volume drop is just that bad.To be completely honest, I'm still learning the HD400 settings, so it's possible this can be corrected, but I have no idea how to do it. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. 

Make sure you have the FX Loop level switch right and the Main switch right...Just use an amp and save the patch with the amp disabled (left switch in AMP mode as I recall)....That's how I did it when I was on beta for the HD400...You gotta tinker with the send level and the AMP LINE switch...

Try just wired for GTR->POD INPUT / FX Send->AMP Input and check that the level is the same as the guitar into the amp alone...takes a few minutes of tinkering...once you get that right add the other two cables...at that point it should be a bit closer....

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to give that a shot...but I just discovered something else.

Just to mess around with it, I'm now running the HD400 directly into the front of the amp from the output, with my guitar plugged into the guitar in, just running it in line normally. I went into several random presets, and turned off the amp on all of them, and I'm still not getting any sound at all. I've tried adding random effects into the FX1, 2, and 3 channels, and still nothing. 

I don't know if this is buried somewhere in the settings or what...

Ok, so check this out...

.I have everything connected: FX Send from HD400 to input on the front of the amp, guitar connected to Guitar In on HD400, Effects Loop button on the HD400 is on. I went into settings, and the Effects Send level is at 0db, and increasing that increases the volume of the amp model (as it should). If I disable the amp model, I have absolutely no sound at all, and it doesn't matter what effects I assign to FX1, 2, and/or 3, or the level of any of those 3 FX options. It's as if disabling the amp model on the HD400 just kills the sound all together on this thing, which is what I can't figure out.

Thanks for the explanation! That definitely helps understand how this thing is running!

Boy, do I feel like a dummy, though...I bought the HD400 used, and never thought about restoring factory defaults. Restoring factory defaults cleared the issue right up, and everything now works both in-line and using the 4CM!!

Just a note...When you bypass an amp model, there is a bypass volume that remains...You set it with the Channel Volume control...As I recall, when you go back to factory, the bypass is restored to nearly full...It's another level control...Sorry I forgot to mention that in my post. It has been a few years since I had my HD400 and I am doing this from memory. They are a little different than the 500...