Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking to ditch my Guitar Amp

DodgeGB

Hi All.

Opinions and experiences wanted - I know there's no "right" answer here.

I currently have an HX Effects and am getting on nicely with it. However, due to space/soundproofing issues I'm pondering a home and performing setup without my Orange Rocker 15.

My current thoughts:
i) Get an Amp in a box (BluGuitar or Amplifire or other similar) which I put in an HX loop and go out to a L6 Powercab and FOH for Gigs.

ii) p/x the HX for a Helix Floor, go out of that into L6 Powercab and FOH for gigs.

Ta.

Don't know much about the Amplifire or Bluguitar in terms of the # of amp models and FX (if any?) they offer, but I do know Helix has more than I'll ever use...I suppose it just depends on how much versatility you want on tap, and whether or not either of them ends up playing nicely with your HX Effects. Personally, I like having everything in one box. I don't want to have to create patches on multiple devices, or deal with extra cables, FX loops, etc. if I don't have to. And the fewer things my aging vertebrae have to drag aground, the better.... 

• Like 1

If you just have to have a separate specific amp device like the amplifier because you love the sound, then go for it. Otherwise look at a helix.   A helix into a Powercab or other high-quality speaker is hard to beat.  I run mine into a Yamaha DXR10, and it sounds fantastic. I use it for everything from bedroom practice to large gigs. 

• Like 1

Keep your amp, even if you buy a Helix. You will miss real tubes. I promise.  Helix is a great studio tool and good live if you are used to playing at home a lot, but it will take time to get used to playing live without a real amp behind you.  Helix is neat, but a real amp is invaluable.  Keep the amp, but feel free to play with Helix too.  I'm sure you'll be happy with both eventually.

There is a caveat: some guys can't tell the difference between tubes and digital, so they will sell the Helix like it's the second coming of Christ.  It's not.  I still hear the digital artifacts with my HX Effects but I've decided to live with it because I like getting rid of 6 other pedals to simplify my board.  Buy it from a dealer you can return it to if it bothers you if you hear that digital "plink" on the lead edge of your notes.  No matter what though, have fun playing.  It's a good product for the price.

Absolutely! I'll definitely be keeping my little Orange for fun and giggles regardless. The subject title should probably have read "Ditching the amp for everyday use and general gigging"...

• Like 1