Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running the Helix Board into a 40 year old Marshall

jaeger28

This is fun! The 2203 (wrong in the video, this is a 2203, so 100W) is from 1978, so exaxctly 40 years old. The cab is a 73 Greenback 4x12. I was surprised how good the delay (Transistor Tape) works into the front end of the Marshall. Dirt comes from a Fulltone OCD that I am boosting with an EP Booster.

Not visible in the video: I run the head into a Marshall Powerbrake to make the monster volume bearable, otherwise the neighbours would lynch me :-D

• Like 1

I'm getting a HX Effects tomorrow that I'm going to put in front of my 50 year old Fender Showman amp. And I'll be playing my 51 year old Les Paul, mostly in the garage with my son on drums.

I bought both of these freshman and sophomore year in collage and still use them. The Les Paul was the first thing I ever bought on credit. $364 if I remember right. Bought in Portland Maine. The Showman I got in 1968 at Viner Music Co. in Bangor Maine (I went to University of Maine in Orono). I sold a Super Reverb to get it - big mistake I've regretted for years. That Showman has been heavily modified though and something I'm happy to still have. 

I haven't gigged with the Showman or Les Paul for years, but with HX Effects, I'm committed to doing at least one outdoor gig with them this year. JTV69S and Helix are just way too convenient.

On 5/21/2018 at 4:51 PM, jaeger28 said:

This is fun! The 2203 (wrong in the video, this is a 2203, so 100W) is from 1978, so exaxctly 40 years old. The cab is a 73 Greenback 4x12. I was surprised how good the delay (Transistor Tape) works into the front end of the Marshall. Dirt comes from a Fulltone OCD that I am boosting with an EP Booster.

Not visible in the video: I run the head into a Marshall Powerbrake to make the monster volume bearable, otherwise the neighbours would lynch me :-D

Scorpions sound at its best !

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, have you tried running the classic high gain marshall sound from the Helix, to the clean low volume sound of the

marshall? how does the Helix sound through the clean?
Thanks! I am considering the SLP 1959 with effects loop with the Helix