Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD PRO X or HD500X?

Death_machine

I'm looking to switch back to a Line 6 HDX. I had a HD500 in the past and liked it a lot so am thinking of the HD500X but was wondering is the POD PROX worth the extra money (I see they're about $100 more plus having to add a footswitch) over the HD500X? Which ever unit I get will be going straight into a PA if that makes a difference. Thanks - Dann

• Downvote 1

The sound is identical. However, if you gig a lot and prefer you tone in the backline the PRO makes a lot of sense...Also, less cables on the front of the stage, no bending over to tweak and shorter cable runs to your amp if it's in the backline...just depends on your preference...I use an HD Desktop for that reason...similar in that i can put it in the backline and just have one CAT5 running to the dumb footcontroller...and if beer gets spilled in it or a 300lbs drunk accidentally falls on it, my sound is safe in the backline.

• Like 2

For live performances, it boils down to if you want a floor unit or a rack unit. 

Some people want the floor unit, but opt for the rack unit with foot controller because it is cheaper to replace a foot controller when a drunk pukes on it. While others have spent 35 years on stage and never had that happen. 

But for studio work, more people probably would lean towards the the rack unit because of the different jacks available. 

They really are the same units. With the exception of the physical differences - inputs/outputs, rack/floor. 

I started with the one floor unit, but have since bought more floor and rack units due to my work routine. 

• Like 1

For my set up, the rack unit allowed me more flexibility in 'building the show'. There are times I need to fly in for a gig and the 500X is my choice there, but ultimately the Pro is my go-to unit with a Ground Control Pro.

Sound-wise, as the others have mentioned, makes very little difference.

Would I say it was worth the extra money? No, but is really up to you. The 500X is a beast and travels nicely but rack mounting the Pro is soooo nice.

Thank you for the responses and advice. I will have to think about it. I do have a Line 6 longboard for my Spider Valve 212 amp. I am guessing I can use that with the POD Pro if I go that route. It probably will come down to which I can get a better deal on on a used unit. I really don't do much live work so I won't have to worry about the drunks lol. My only issue with the POD Pro (Other than the extra $$) is I don't have rack room so I'd have to just sit it on top of my rack for now. 

On 5/22/2018 at 9:12 AM, pianoguyy said:

But what else do you need more than the Pod? 

LOL. Right now I have an Eleven Rack which I like for some stuff and a Rocktron Pro Q which take up my little rack case. I am mainly interested in a the POD ProX or HD500X mostly because I like that you can use 2 different amp models at once. 

On 5/21/2018 at 11:05 AM, spaceatl said:

The sound is identical. However, if you gig a lot and prefer you tone in the backline the PRO makes a lot of sense...Also, less cables on the front of the stage, no bending over to tweak and shorter cable runs to your amp if it's in the backline...just depends on your preference...I use an HD Desktop for that reason...similar in that i can put it in the backline and just have one CAT5 running to the dumb footcontroller...and if beer gets spilled in it or a 300lbs drunk accidentally falls on it, my sound is safe in the backline.

The 'Beer' issue is why I use POD HD Desktop, because that already happened to one of my FBV controllers. Just because it's a private party doesn't mean it's appropriate to bring those party goers on stage...but I digress...

I actually had the 300 lbs drunk guy slip and land squarely on his back on my shortboard mk1 way back when I was using a Flextone IIIXL....He had two rows of dents in his leather jacket from the buttons...and he was in pretty severe pain after that...It sobered him up...luckily the Shortboard came out unscathed by that incident...

• Like 1