Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Send a Midi event when changing Snapshot?

Starcruiser

HI,

I'm fairly new to the Helix and are examining every possibility to use it on stage...

Is it possible to trigger a MIDI event when changing Snapshots? To my understanding the Command Center settings are per Preset?

Thanks for any clarifications

/Magnus

Yes it is possible to send different midi messages with every snapshot, but it' s a bit tricky though. Like everything in snapshots it's also in command center with midi: every change in one snapshot will be repeated in the following ones unless you change it again. For midi that means, that a cc message with value 0- 66  will be send (again !) with every following snapshot until you change that value to 67 -127.  If you need more multiple cc messages in differnet channels, you have to set the values right in every snapshot you use, which can be complicated. Also sometimes there seems to be a bug and the values change from - for example- 127 to 125 while saving, which can make a difference depending on what you want to achieve.

If you set it right, you can - for example - start recording a sequence in an external looper in one snapshot, stop the recording in the next snapshot and start to play the loop in another one, which is pretty cool because the Helix looper is of no use for live music as long as you use snaphots in my opinion.

In the past some of the these programmed midi messages got lost / confused by some firmware updates, where there might have been major changes in the midi functions. Didn't manage to "repair" all my settings afterwards because of the time needed to fix it.

Thanks,

Let me see if I understand this:

In Snapshot 1 i go into Command Center and say that "instant 1" is Change Prog 1

In Snapshot 3 i change that so that "Instant 1" is Change Prog 3.

Now when using this:

Snapshot 1-> MIDI ChangeProg 1

Snapshot 2-> MIDI ChangeProg 1

Snapshot 3-> MIDI ChangeProg 3

Correct?

My only concern then is that I wanted to have the option of sending a Note and thats not available as "instant" messages. Next update? ;-)

18 hours ago, Starcruiser said:

Thanks,

Let me see if I understand this:

In Snapshot 1 i go into Command Center and say that "instant 1" is Change Prog 1

In Snapshot 3 i change that so that "Instant 1" is Change Prog 3.

Now when using this:

Snapshot 1-> MIDI ChangeProg 1

Snapshot 2-> MIDI ChangeProg 1

Snapshot 3-> MIDI ChangeProg 3

Correct?

My only concern then is that I wanted to have the option of sending a Note and thats not available as "instant" messages. Next update? ;-)

Well , there are different midi messages:  I used only cc messages, not  pc (program change) messages. It depends on what your receiving machine needs to do what you want ...
As far as I know the pc messages are send everytime you change a present (unless you deactivate this option in globals), but can also be send with snapshots.  For notes I guess you'll need  cc messages with value...