Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD whatever plugged in Guitar pa and cab -> Honest feedback awaited

kpsion

Hi all

What a title ^^ !! True but it says what the topic deals with.

I'm a pod user for 3 years now and if plugged as a soundcard with cab sim and so on i manage to get good tone.

One usage still make me nuts :  used as a guitar amp... I've tried lot's of thing, and end up to one conclusion , in this usage pod is way too much balanced in frequency, mainly on middle and low mid.

The only solution i see is some drastic cut with graphic eq  -9db at 440hz  and - 3 or 6db at 1.1khz

This before, of course, thinking about global eq to correct  lended cab, room acoustic .....

This way i achieve something more natural a real guitar amp, is that something people using it as "guitar amp" also noticed ?

20 hours ago, kpsion said:

Hi all

What a title ^^ !! True but it says what the topic deals with.

I'm a pod user for 3 years now and if plugged as a soundcard with cab sim and so on i manage to get good tone.

One usage still make me nuts :  used as a guitar amp... I've tried lot's of thing, and end up to one conclusion , in this usage pod is way too much balanced in frequency, mainly on middle and low mid.

The only solution i see is some drastic cut with graphic eq  -9db at 440hz  and - 3 or 6db at 1.1khz

This before, of course, thinking about global eq to correct  lended cab, room acoustic .....

This way i achieve something more natural a real guitar amp, is that something people using it as "guitar amp" also noticed ?

Results will vary widely when using a "real" guitar amp/cab or combo to monitor the POD. Much of it depends on the chosen output mode on the POD, and exactly how you have everything connected...straight into the front of the amp, into an FX return, the 4 cable method, etc etc. We'll need to  know some more details about your set-up to offer any advice....

Hi mate

Nothing really exotic!!

Pod HD pro x -> in a power amp (Peavey classic 50/50, Rocktron velocity 300, Electro voice magnum 44) via Line level on 1/4 jack -> 212  cabinet

I use mainly treadplate, let say eq and presence , drive at noon

With cab sim on  and studio direct mode, it's awfull .... normal :) 

With cab sim on and stack power amp , better but sound is still shrill, not pleasant to be heard

With cab sim off and wathever mode , still better but still shrill and unpleasant

I use mid focus eq to tame low end boomy as hell, and extreme synthetic high   0to 10 freq, 15 Q for HP, and 90 freq and 20 Q for LP

At this step sound is pretty much  in the ballpark

But if i crank volume , it's harsh as hell, i mean even if it's hard to describe, tube amp seems to have two dominant freq, one in bass one in high mid

Here i feel like , with pod , it's honky, like every frequencies are here,  and if i play far from cab to hear projected sound , it's unatural...

• Like 1

Use the Pre version of the modeled amp and don't use any cab sim.  Studio Direct out of course, then EQ to taste.  That's how I have mine setup with the PODHD into the FX return of a JCM900 into a Marshall 1936 cab.  It takes some knob tweaking on the tone controls but so does a real amp.

• Like 1

Thank for the feedback, yes i find this help with having a normal guitar sound

Boomyness seems to be introduced by poweramp simulation , even high are a bit clearer

One thing still make me nuts , how do you achevie this shiny high a tube amp has , do you use an eq trick

To me , high mid and high still seems to be too much , like every frequency are here and not one dominant in high that would provide an articulated sound