Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix editor on iPad!???

ROBALLUSUS

Line 6 is the only one who can make that happens, as they are using their own propietary protocol.

The standard MIDI implementation is pretty limited, but at least you can build your own MIDI template to load presets, replicate FS with buttons, change snapshots, control the looper, activate tuner, etc

These are my MIDI Layouts: https://gumroad.com/ed_saxman

https://line6.com/support/forum/96-promote-your-patches/

• Thanks 1

Would LOVE to have an editor on my IPAD pro. Love how easy it is to edit patches using my H9's. Leaning over is killing my back!

Another cool option would to have a small hardware controller that you could plug in to the Helix allowing you to place it on a desk etc. Replicate just the buttons on the Helix. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/24/2018 at 5:50 PM, Ed_Saxman said:

Line 6 is the only one who can make that happens, as they are using their own propietary protocol.

The standard MIDI implementation is pretty limited, but at least you can build your own MIDI template to load presets, replicate FS with buttons, change snapshots, control the looper, activate tuner, etc

This is my MIDI template: https://www.flickr.com/photos/159493056@N07/sets/72157694109073184

Where can I get the app to use this/what is it called?

I think I know a way to do this...

I have a mac in my studio but it's a pain to stand up and do lots of work on it for long periods of time so what you can do is use a mac (or you can use a pc) and run the helix edit as you normally do.  while running helix edit, you can run either Teamviewer (or a competing product to team viewer) which allows other computers or an ipad or iphone to control your computer remotely.  It's a remote control program and it works great.

a smart phone screen may be too small but in theory should work. 

• 7 months later...
On 10/30/2018 at 8:14 PM, talonmm said:

I think I know a way to do this...

I have a mac in my studio but it's a pain to stand up and do lots of work on it for long periods of time so what you can do is use a mac (or you can use a pc) and run the helix edit as you normally do.  while running helix edit, you can run either Teamviewer (or a competing product to team viewer) which allows other computers or an ipad or iphone to control your computer remotely.  It's a remote control program and it works great.

a smart phone screen may be too small but in theory should work. 

The computer, Helix and iPad would have to be in the same room. What's the point?.

I would also appreciate an editor on the iPad.
Now I can call the presets and some CC events with my iPad setlist program. (Songbook+ via Yamaha Blutooth-MIDI) 
A function that saves me a lot of tap dance. ;-)

• Upvote 1

Count me in, I’m ready to hook up to my iOS devices!

My iMac creates weird noises/artifacts when playing single coils - which goes away when I put it to sleep or turn it off. I feel sure the iPad wouldn’t do the same..

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I just purchased the new iPad pro 11".  With the usb-c interface it would be awesome it they could launch helix edit for iPad.  It would be easy to get a usb-c to usb-a connector.  I ran my Firehawk fx off my iPad for a long time and this is honestly my only negative to upgrading to the helix.  I don't own a laptop and I have to bring my helix home to a desktop whenever I want to make changes or update.  I really miss the iPad connectivity.  If any line 6 people are reading this I would love to see this support come to iPad pro. 

• Upvote 1

I love the stomp... but at the very least, why L6 didn’t make it w/Bluetooth capabilities to have the app option later on is perplexing.  I know my way around it, but it’s way slower than what a gui could be on a mobile device.

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

On 5/24/2018 at 3:50 AM, Ed_Saxman said:

This is my MIDI template: https://www.flickr.com/photos/159493056@N07/sets/72157694109073184

You do understand the protocol being used for communications is a high speed, highly dense two-way communication protocol.  This is why when you change a value in HXEdit it gets reflected immediately in the Helix, and if you change the Helix value it gets reflected immediately in HXEdit.  Not to mention the rapid enumeration and reflection of values as you move dials and such, or limitation on the allowable range of values for each given control dictated from the Helix to HXEdit.  Standard MIDI would never be able to accommodate such things because it wasn't designed for such things.  It was designed for simple control commands delivered sequentially.  Not exactly a great choice for tightly bound, two-way applications and hardware integration in the 21st century.

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

You do understand the protocol being used for communications is a high speed, highly dense two-way communication protocol.  This is why when you change a value in HXEdit it gets reflected immediately in the Helix, and if you change the Helix value it gets reflected immediately in HXEdit.  Not to mention the rapid enumeration and reflection of values as you move dials and such, or limitation on the allowable range of values for each given control dictated from the Helix to HXEdit.  Standard MIDI would never be able to accommodate such things because it wasn't designed for such things.  It was designed for simple control commands delivered sequentially.  Not exactly a great choice for tightly bound, two-way applications and hardware integration in the 21st century.

Yet this is exactly what was used for communication from helix to my PowerCab + for months before 2.8 was dropped. ; ) I don't think midi is "that" outdated just yet. Also, remember not very long ago the Line 6 Firehawk 1500 was release and its "only" editor is on an iPad.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Roberyj said:

how do you download HT Edit APP for IPAD?

You can’t download “HT Edit APP for IPAD” - it doesn’t exist!

Also, if you actually meant to ask - “how do you download HX Edit APP for IPAD?”

Same answer, there is no such App. It does not exist! Read the thread, it was started 2 years back.

17 hours ago, malhavok said:

...but you CAN run HX Edit on iPad using sidecar (requires also a mac computer).

That is very true - although, it is not quite the same as running an “app” directly from an iPad, which is what I suspect the poster was asking for. AFAIK a stand alone version isn’t available and the “sidecar”option is something of a novelty second screen.

ipad will run usb class compliant midi and usb class compliant audio only as there is no ability to have drivers

So, an Ipad will not ever be running the high speed proprietary protocol used by line 6, and any option that uses a computer AND an ipad isnt needed... cos if you have the computer you dont actually have a problem :D

also, imo it Frankly is waste of R&D resources by Line 6 to be working on reinventing the wheel, as it would have zero correlation to improved sales, and also divert resources from improving the helix, stomp, fx or working on new gear...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Roberyj said:

you can do that with wifi but im wanting do it straight out of the ipad in case i get in a place that dosen't have wifi like out door gig?

Thanks for resurrecting a sleeping thread which has explained that HXEdit is not available as an app to run on your iPad, and “mystic38” also gives some very good reasons why, in the post above.

Your issue: ”in case i get in a place that dosen't have wifi like out door gig?”

Solution (as used by many) - use a laptop.

• 6 months later...

Ok, so I get that if you have an iPad or android tablet it would be nice if you could run Helix Edit/Native. But this has never been an option, plus if line 6 where willing to put in the effort to Develop these two not insignificant applications along with the supporting cloud integration/services and technical support they would charge for them in the same way they do with native.  

And it’s a risk for them, because many users wouldn’t be willing to pay, and I really doubt they are willing to develop these apps for free. So unless they have market research saying enough helix users would be willing to pay around $100 each for them I don’t see it happening.

IMO you’ve invested in the helix, just get a budget laptop from eBay which will also have the storage for backing up those presets and config you’ve spent hours creating. 

• 2 months later...

Not looking for editing capabilities but an ability to select presets and stomp boxes already programmed in a preset on the Helix LT via an iOS device during a live event.  This is due to the fact that in an outdoor setting it is sometimes difficult to see the lights/Led/Buttons on the Helix LT and an iPad display/interface may make it easier.

Has anyone heard of a interface that would "mimic" the pressing of the foot switches...I know its a reach...I use HX Edit client software connected via USB and I could do that in a live event like a keyboard player but that is bulky.....I already use an iPad and Unreal Book for sheet music.

• Upvote 1

There are plenty of good MIDI control apps for the iPad. Some a free/cheap and provide basic button layouts. Some are spendier and more customizable (MIDI Designer Pro ‪2 comes to mind). With a good app, you basically assign a button or control to any of the MIDI commands that the Helix device will understand (refer to your manual). Use with an Apple CCK (preferably the kind that also charges your iOS device).

There are also "song list" apps that will send a selection of MIDI commands when you select a specific song title. Those are very useful to send presets...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

@Ed_Saxman @PierM

Have you been able to incorporate numerical tempo into your iPad midi controllers?

HX Edit and global settings of course allow this, and I believe Helix can receive realtime MIDI beat clock from a DAW, but I'm looking for a way to enter exact numerical tempos in my iPad (Lemur) controller? 

I've found the tap tempo input to be imprecise and inconsistent, even when I pre-program it to delay taps by a preset number of milliseconds. 

I use an app that sends the Helix Tap Tempo command (CC 64, 64) on quarter notes (from MIDI clock). This is the same as tapping the Tap Tempo button. It takes about 10 seconds to accurately lock onto the tempo, and its precise for me. After 10 seconds, you can stop sending the messages and Helix will retain that tempo until you reset it, or select another preset.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, 

i just wondered that there is no HX Edit for iPad or iPhone. 
We have Logic Pro for iPad and HX Edit is the only Reason to bring my MacBook Pro. 

Hey Line6, please consider making an App for iPad to Edit our Helix Hardware

• 6 months later...

I've got an iPad and M1 macbook pro. What I've been doing is connecting my iPad as an additional display (used to be called Sidecar I believe) and then putting HX edit on the iPad that way. The downside is you either have to use your mouse or an apple pencil for input, as touch will not work. But still pretty sweet.

• 4 weeks later...

HxEdit for iPad would be a great upgrade for the Helix as it would affectively give the Helix a touch interface.

Many (YouTube) have suggested that not having a tough interface dates the Helix compared to other top modelers.

Well to my mind, an iPad running HxEdit would be the perfect touch interface.

Line6, please consider this.

It may soon become necessary regardless as I believe that Apple will unify operating systems for Mac and iPad now that both use the same Apple processors.

On 1/19/2024 at 1:08 PM, elbe5050 said:

Hi,

There are no Line 6 staff here and only very occasionally do they visit these forums - (See the “sticky comment” in the black banner stripe at the top of this page entitled “Welcome to the Line 6 forums”).

This link is where you need to go to have any hope of your suggestion been seen by anyone from Line 6:

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/

Before posting any  new ideas, please do a search to see if it's already been listed (more than likely!). Multiple requests for the same thing will thin out the votes. Also, post all your ideas one at a time. Many users don’t vote for combined suggestions.

Then you should use the “sticky thread” in this forum to let other users know what your suggestions are, with links to IdeaScale, so they can vote on it if they wish.

While you are waiting for this to never happen, you could try the “Sidecar” option posted above, or travel back to 2016 and check out this idea.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

It will never happen. :) 

Ps: the MacOs "lite" running on iPad seems not happening anytime soon, if ever, which means they should write code for iPadOS specifically.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 8:08 AM, elbe5050 said:

HxEdit for iPad would be a great upgrade for the Helix as it would affectively give the Helix a touch interface.

Many (YouTube) have suggested that not having a tough interface dates the Helix compared to other top modelers.

Well to my mind, an iPad running HxEdit would be the perfect touch interface.

It may soon become necessary regardless as I believe that Apple will unify operating systems for Mac and iPad now that both use the same Apple processors.

Helix debuted sometime in 2015, if memory serves. Given that they haven't gotten around to cranking out an iPad editor during the first 9 years of the product's life cycle, then the smart money says that it's gonna be a long wait for a train that ain't coming...

• Upvote 2