Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Reproduction Of Hd 500 Sounds: Open Back Or Closed Cab?

billlorentzen

I've been using the Pod HD500 on my gigs for over a year, straight into the mixer for my single or duo acts, or into an Atomic Reactor for ensemble gigs. I've got dozens of very tweaked out sounds for the 3 guitars I use.

I'm looking at getting a DT to replace the Atomic Reactor, but I'm unsure which model to get. Obviously, closed back cabs sound very different from open back combos. Generally I prefer open back combos for the music I usually play, but that may not be significant for use with the HD500. I have 3 questions:

Any opinions as to which style of DT amp requires the least re-tweaking of patches, compared to the direct outs of the HD500?

Even more important, which amp type actually sounds best with the HD series, overall?

Or are you best off choosing the cabinet style you prefer, because it will most efficiently reproduce the amp sound types you like?

they have dedicated output modes to define the amp you choose (stack=closed, combo=open)

from there the speaker cabinet you select determines its open/closed "sound"

of course you can override the "correct" output mode if you think it sounds better to you...

generally speaking the DT50 is crazy loud...  i'd think the DT25 would be more suitable for most "non-metal" players.

So you're saying it can compensate so well it makes no difference? While I appreciate your reply, I must confess I am a bit skeptical about that - different types of cabinets give such different reproduction.

Also, coming from a recording engineer background, my inclination is to choose the more inherently transparent reproduction, with the least compensatory processing. I wonder which cabinet that would be?

I'm hoping someone has tried both and can tell me their experience? Or maybe someone from Line6? Unfortunately, I don't think I can find a local dealer who has both setups for me to try.

it's designed to compensate... to someone particular it might make a difference, I can't tell you what you're gonna hear....

perhaps pickup the head and one of those convertible type cabs... i've seen 2x12's with a panel that can be removed in the rear.

My DT25 blew a fuse/power tube last week. I plugged straight into PA, changed output mode from combo power amp to studio/direct and to be satisfied with my tones all I really had to do was cut the lower frequencies a bit and they were surprisingly similar.

My clean, acoustic, and high gain tones required almost no tweaking. My lower gain, slightly dirty tone sounded a little flat until I adjusted my tone stack, but it was still tolerable at gig volume. So my situation is reversed from yours, but I can say I was truly surprised how well they translated from one to the other. Plus, you will love the DT even if you have to tweak all your tones. It's a great standalone amp and works perfectly to amplify your already-constructed tones.

So if your tones are built with the bass already compensated for, they might sound a little thin on the DT. That's really the only difference I would notice.