Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix Purchase Need Help

Vimz91

Hey guys, I just purchased a Floorboard version of the Helix, I believe it was the display model, Before I power it up and connect it to my computer

What are the first things I should do? 

If you haven't already done so, download the manual and the quick start guide from this site and go through them. That should give you some base knowledge you will need.  Install the drivers, editing software, updater, etc.

2 hours ago, Vimz91 said:

Hey guys, I just purchased a Floorboard version of the Helix, I believe it was the display model, Before I power it up and connect it to my computer

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but turning it on is generally step 1... lol.   ;)

A USB connection is all that's technically required... though there other options, such as connecting through a separate audio interface. But even if you go that route for the audio, you'll still need the USB connection to update firmware and backup your patches.

Download the HX Edit and Line 6 Updater software. The updater will walk you through installing the latest firmware (version 2.54). Beyond that, the rest of the adventure is up to you in terms of how you intend to monitor everything.... headphones, studio monitors, through a "real" amp etc etc.

One thing that could be confusing is that you were supposed to have the same version number of firmware and HX Edit. That isn't true right now. The latest firmware is 2.54 but the latest HX Edit is 2.52. The latest Line 6 updater version is 1.14 at this moment. The updater is what will easily update your Helix. And be patient. I just updated to 2.54 and the Updater just kind of sat there for awhile while the Helix screen said it was collecting data. Eventually it started moving. These are what work together. Do you know what version your Helix's firmware is at? You will also need to create an account with Line 6 in order to download these things and have the Updater work (ya gotta sign in). If you think there are patches on it that you want to check out that were created in the store, backup everything before you update.

I created this in Word so I don't know what happened but all of the formatting is askew. But the info is still there so here we go. After reading my last post, I thought I would come up with a step by step post That will hopefully make it easier to get started. Keep in mind I have a Windows based computer. I have no “Apple” experience. I will proceed as if you know nothing.

Go to the Line 6 website and create an account if you don’t have one already. Register your Helix. You can do this online AND it gets you an extra year of warranty.

Go to the download section of their website. When you get there, there will be three drop down menus. Select Helix in the first one, keep the second one at all software and select your operating system in the third drop down menu.

Click Go. Now download the Updater (version 1.14) and HX Edit (version 2.52) You do not need to download the firmware. The Updater will take care of that for you.

Install both Updater and HX Edit. Now I’m not positive but I’m pretty sure one or both of those will give you an option to install the Helix drivers to your computer (I’m not at home). Do so. If they don’t, you’ll need to install the drivers as well (Ver1.87) also on the download page. But I’m pretty sure you won’t have to.

After all of this, connect your Helix via USB to your computer and turn it on. Fire up HX Edit. Onceit connects to your Helix, click on HELP and select ABOU HX EDIT. The box that comes up will have your Helix’s firmware version at the top and the HX Edit version toward the bottom. If your Helix version  number is 2.54, your golden. If not you need to upgrade. Now if there is anything you think you might want to keep on your Helix, backup everything. You will use HX Edit to do this. This gets tricky since I don’t know what version your Helix firmware is on. Go to the FILE menu and see if there is a CREATE BACKUP option. If there is use that. If there isn’t, I would use EXPORT SETLIST. That seemed to be the safest way to back the Helix up in the previous versions before the CREATE BACKUP option. Export every setlist you have (8?). If you have any IR’s loaded in it you will need to back those up too. I’m assuming there won’t be any but check to be sure. Also if there are any IR’s, take a screen shot of where they are stored as there’s no other way to document that without the CREATE BACKUP option. To be honest, I would backup all of the setlists and IR’s even if you have the CREATE BACKUP option. Just to be safe. Now that you’ve backed up everything it’s time to update. If you don’t care about any patches in it, then forget all of this. It’s a pain.

Fire up the Updater (you’ll have to login to your Line 6 account) and your Helix with it’s version number on it should appear in it. . Check out this. They have pictures.

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/how-to-update-the-helix39s-firmware-r776/

Now this is where my memory fails me (again I’m not at home) so you’re kind of on your own here. But I believe you double click on your Helix in the Updater or there’s a menu option once you select your Helix. Whatever that is the first thing that comes up is an instruction to back everything up. You have already done that so continue on. The next page will show you all of the versions available. Of course you want the top one. Click on the UPDATE button. Once again be patient and don’t touch anything. Wait for it to finish. Your Helix should have restarted when it’s done. That’s it if everything went perfect

One thing people used to have to do and still like to do is a factory reset after all of this. This is why you should back everything up no matter what. To do this, power down the Helix. I would also disconnect the USB cable. While holding down buttons 9 and 10 ( the two middle buttons on the bottom row) turn the Helix back on. “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…” should appear on the screen. Let go of the buttons and let it finish. So now you have a Helix that’s the same as what comes off of the assembly line. So this is where all that backing up pays off. If you did, go ahead and reload everything now. That’s everything. This was all from memory so proceed with caution. Hope this helps ya get started. Oh, and do download the manual. It will help after all of this.

14 hours ago, Vimz91 said:

It's buried in fine print in one of the posts above, but I will come right out and say it...

If you suspect this was a display model, DO A FACTORY RESET before you do anything else. 

Next in line is to make sure your Helix is 100% up to date, then start the process of learning how to use it. 

5 hours ago, codamedia said:

It's buried in fine print in one of the posts above, but I will come right out and say it...

If you suspect this was a display model, DO A FACTORY RESET before you do anything else. 

Next in line is to make sure your Helix is 100% up to date, then start the process of learning how to use it. 

Will do for sure thanks!

Updated , Drivered, HX Edited and Factory resetted! Wow Is all I can say, What a piece of equipment. It's mind blowing! And so god damn easy to edit on the Helix screen, and even easier on the HX Edit. 

Now to try and dial in some crisp Metal Lead tones and some punch Heavy Rhythm tones !

Thanks guys!