Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

amplifi 30 in 2018? any updates coming?

vumgic

I just bought an Amplifi75.  I was browsing around 1am and saw this cool looking amp and what it could do and just bought it there and then.  Afterwards I found out they are kinda "old", so I started looking at what would be around now and 2018 "current" that would do similar, be around the same price, and possibly be in a position to get updated app stuff etc.

I didn't really find anything that was close that looked any better for the price and all in one unit etc.

I am waiting for mine, but I feel a lot better about the purchase after not being able to match it up with anything newer.

advice: do your homework and look around for a good price.  I saw the 75 mostly around the AU$799 - over $1,000 and then found a store selling for AU$589.  

The updater shows 2 updates in 2018, not sure about the apps, but looks like it is still being supported by Line6.

seen good reviews of the 30 as well. maybe go into a shop and see if you can trial one?

As the old expression goes, 'Those who can say, don't know. And those who know, can't say.'

If I had to bet, my money would say that the Amplifi series is a 'mature' product line that is very unlikely to see hardware improvements and almost equally unlikely to receive updates to the firmware or remote app. 

As for whether to buy it or not: Don't expect new features or more functionality than you get now. Buy it for what it is, not for what it could be.

You also might factor in the price for a footcontroller (of course depends on your needs, but really having a proper footswitch brings it to the next level.

As to whether there are still updates: just a couple days ago there was an update to the android app, so yes, there's still some level of maintenance.

And as to whether there will be a new hardware revision, see thoughts here: 

bottom line (IMHO): would only be minor upgrades. Anything major and it would leave the Amplifi niche and go Firehawk (HD-effects) and thus be more expensive. And as mentioned: there is really no alternative at this price point that is that versatile (even if you factor in a footcontroller).

12 hours ago, cloph said:

You also might factor in the price for a footcontroller (of course depends on your needs, but really having a proper footswitch brings it to the next level.

As to whether there are still updates: just a couple days ago there was an update to the android app, so yes, there's still some level of maintenance.

I absolutely agree about the need for a foot controller, if you use the Amplifi in just about any kind of a live situation. If you have to change presets mid-song, it's slow and cumbersome to do it from the remote app while you're trying to play. And only having 4 preset choices available as buttons on the amplifier is also very restrictive. A FBV 3 or FBV Shortboard MKII makes a world of difference in usability. 

Didn't realize that there was an update to the Android app recently - thanks for pointing this out...